Author Topic: Car Free days in Jackson Heights?  (Read 696 times)

Offline itsit

• Mayor
Car Free days in Jackson Heights?
« on: April 28, 2019, 07:11:04 AM »
 Every year when reading about the car free days in Manhattan where the street closures allow pedestrians the
experience of using the entire street, would that ever happen in Jackson Heights? What streets would be best?
Would merchants be on board or not?  And what kinds of activities can take advantage of this closure? I know
the 82nd street festival is great and it's a few blocks but what if we were to use a whole avenue for health
and exercise activities for all ages, special promotions with all the stores, information on jobs, community
events and schools, maybe an art fair or a giant flea market?

Do you think there would be an interest locally in a car free day along one of our avenues in Jackson Heights?

Offline Jeffsayyes

• Mayor
    • Jeffrey Tastes
Re: Car Free days in Jackson Heights?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2019, 08:20:36 AM »
I would absolutely like car free days on 74th st or 82nd street - 74th should be car free all the time

Offline abcdefghijk

• Mayor
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2019, 09:08:16 AM »
I would absolutely like car free days on 74th st or 82nd street - 74th should be car free all the time

Love the idea of 74th being permanently car-free.

Offline MrPlaza

• Council Member
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2019, 12:34:28 PM »

Love the idea of 74th being permanently car-free.
Tricky thing about that is that it’s also a bus-route street (Q47 and Q49). But in spirit, I think an idea like this is really interesting.

Offline jhjefe

• Citizen
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2019, 02:19:25 PM »
They have that system in place for closing down 37th for parades which is a nice change of pace.  Would be better if they had a few additional closings and just skip the parade part.  Always nice to have a holiday from traffic especially Uturners, fast turners ,  double Parkers,  crosswalk Parkers,  honkers, loud motorers, Harley’s and other artificially amplified vehicles.

Online dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2019, 04:57:10 PM »
sure. but it would have to be a limited part of 74th -- the congested retail area south of 37th -- because the rest of it is residential, and people don't like having access to their homes limited by law.

Offline Liz

• Activist
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2019, 09:29:38 AM »
Love this idea!  I would like 37th closed off for half a day - no parade.

Offline missmarty

• Council Member
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2019, 07:52:16 AM »
Parks has a program called, Weekend Walks. It's meant to shut down a commercial street for activities, a little different than a street fair.
I've wanted to do it here, from 74th to 81st, which represents where three pedestrians were killed by reckless drivers.

Senator Ramos was interested too, but we missed the deadline for this year.
My idea is to have shops participate- mimicking a great event in PA, there is a chocolate walk. People buy a card and get it stamped at each shop they visit- in return the shops offer some chocolate treat concocted by themselves or a local chef. (Litich Chocolate Fest- if you want to look it up, it's awesome)

The greatest dream of the weekend walk for me would be to have street games. Now, I've seen excellent videos of street games around the world, and it would be incredible to see them played on this stretch. The variations of the same game would be cool, and surely they would incorporate regional flair.

Finally, PS 89, where my son attended does have a designated play street. It's got a DOT sign, and I checked with community board, cops and the elected- they can close it during the day from 8-4 anytime. Sadly, they don't- basically because they want the parking spots. I have managed to have it used for mariachi concert and some fitness and earth day activities.

The principal finally won on keeping it closed. Now, the kids have no gym and barely a play yard- so it would have been great to give them space...Anyway, the principal said it was a safety issue, that there are known sexual predators nearby.

I couldn't fight that- but I steamed thinking, our kids live in this neighborhood, unlike the teachers whom about 85% commute from Long Island. It was a rough blow.

Anyway- I hope people are still interested, if we apply for weekend walks next year. They do it for Songkram on Woodside Ave.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2019, 07:52:16 AM »