Author Topic: 73rd Street east side, mid-block  (Read 1804 times)

Offline Simka

• Council Member
73rd Street east side, mid-block
« on: April 20, 2019, 08:57:53 PM »
Why does so much garbage pile up in this one location? It's in front of a store that recently closed, which often tended to have a lot of trash on the sidewalk outside. But now that the store is closed, I think the trash had nothing to do with that store. Any clues about how so much piles up?

There tend to be a lot of paper coffee cups that look alike, but I don't know where they're from.

Offline Jeffsayyes

• Mayor
    • Jeffrey Tastes
Re: 73rd Street east side, mid-block
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2019, 09:03:15 PM »
Today was especially bad

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2019, 09:06:29 PM »
i wonder if the residential components are divided up more than they should be. that side of that block is hard to navigate

Offline Simka

• Council Member
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2019, 09:12:35 PM »
i wonder if the residential components are divided up more than they should be. that side of that block is hard to navigate

What do you mean about residential components being divided up? It's true, there are a lot of businesses there, but that's true on 74th, too, and this doesn't happen on 74th.

My impression, from looking at the garbage, is that people are gathering there drinking coffee. And then no one takes responsibility for cleanup.

Offline KGDHP

• Citizen
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2019, 08:46:34 AM »
There is a similar-ish problem, but not nearly as gross as that, on 82nd street and I had great success reporting it to 311. The trick is that you cant just report once and hope for the best, you do it every single time you see a problem. I galvanized a small group on the block to report the trash. Together we probably reported it like 10x before I personally got a call from someone in the DOS to understand what my issues we we're having. Now, the area is clean as can be (most of the time).

I highly highly recommend the 311 App. It makes it easy to report (illegal dumping) and you can upload images too. Calling works too, but the app is easier. REPORT the hell of of the block! You'll see a difference.

Offline abcdefghijk

• Mayor
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2019, 09:08:12 AM »
I have noticed the sidewalks on that street, 73rd St, are very narrow considering the amount of commercial and pedestrian traffic who use that thoroughfare.

Probably doesn't help with the garbage issue. More trash containers should be installed. But where?

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2019, 09:25:41 AM »
I have noticed the sidewalks on that street, 73rd St, are very narrow considering the amount of commercial and pedestrian traffic who use that thoroughfare.

Probably doesn't help with the garbage issue. More trash containers should be installed. But where?

you're correct about the sidewalks and traffic flow...perhaps it has something to do with the recent upbuilding (not sure if there was rezoning or not) of the block. the low-rise two and three-story buildings have given way to larger, more heavily utilized structures (ugly ones at that, but that's another story).
not sure how this can be addressed growing forward. can't really widen the sidewalks, and if we put in more much-needed trash containers, we might impede traffic flow even more, with people dodging them and/or knocking them over. hoping people on the block can work it through.

Offline Jeffsayyes

• Mayor
    • Jeffrey Tastes
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2019, 05:48:44 PM »
I still find it unbelievable that the DOS/DOT refuses to put a garbage can on that corner of the block.

Offline Lilybell

• Mayor
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2019, 11:11:16 AM »
That is a hangout spot where people congregate. I think 73rd has a lot more pedestrian traffic than 74th does, especially once you pass 37th Ave. (going north) I've lived on both streets and there is definitely a difference.

Offline Di_11372

• Activist
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2019, 12:57:55 PM »
There's a 2016 thread on this site about that awful building on 73rd, which gives info on complaints that were made over the yrs....
'Trash, rat, slum building 73rd'

Offline Jeffsayyes

• Mayor
    • Jeffrey Tastes
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2019, 01:06:28 PM »
This morning I saw about 40 raw chickens on the sidewalk outside the halal butcher next to dosa delight. unbelievable.

Offline sl

• Council Member
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2019, 06:37:13 PM »

There are many places that have little or no trash bins but they are not dirty like 73rd Street.
People living/ hanging out there just don’t care.

Offline Jeffsayyes

• Mayor
    • Jeffrey Tastes
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2019, 07:42:49 AM »

There are many places that have little or no trash bins but they are not dirty like 73rd Street.
People living/ hanging out there just don’t care.

Yes, and obviously there is a problem there so why wouldn't they put garbage cans there?

Offline Lilybell

• Mayor
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2019, 09:53:04 AM »
There used to be but they would get filled up with household trash - they were overflowing with full trash bags within an hour of getting emptied (not large trash bags; it would be a bunch of supermarket bags filled up with garbage and tied at the top.). It was pointless because we couldn't use them - they were always overflowing. They've put trash cans there a few times and always removed them within a couple of months.

Offline abcdefghijk

• Mayor
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2019, 10:15:44 AM »
There used to be but they would get filled up with household trash - they were overflowing with full trash bags within an hour of getting emptied (not large trash bags; it would be a bunch of supermarket bags filled up with garbage and tied at the top.). It was pointless because we couldn't use them - they were always overflowing. They've put trash cans there a few times and always removed them within a couple of months.

But why does this happen? What is the truth behind the situation that causes this? The reason. Obviously, there are trash cans all over NYC and they don't completely fill up with household garbage within an hour of being emptied.... What is going on? Really.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2019, 10:15:44 AM »