Author Topic: 73rd Street east side, mid-block  (Read 1842 times)

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
Re: 73rd Street east side, mid-block
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2019, 11:01:44 AM »
the main problem is landlords subdividing living spaces. when my ex and i were house hunting back in the '90s, we concentrated on finding a two-family to help with mortgage costs. we saw a few places -- here and in Astoria -- where the rented "apartment" as well as basement spaces were carved up into warrens of rooms. a two-bedroom apartment became six or seven rooms divided by flimsy walls, with one kitchen and bathroom to serve renters. that means multiple trash streams from each unit, and a strain on our infrastructure.

Offline Lilybell

• Mayor
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2019, 01:33:45 PM »
I think much of the problem is the nasty housing complex (the one with the sign for the psychic). I've personally witnessed someone from there dump a garbage bag into the trash can. It also annoys me that the psychic has two large metal advertisement signboards chained to poles on the corner by the Duane Reade. If I had a bolt-cutter I would remove them myself.

Offline abcdefghijk

• Mayor
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2019, 08:14:57 AM »
Is the situation described where housing is subdivided into small rooms legal?

Is this simply a case of an illegal housing situation where the law is not being enforced?

If this were to happen, for example in Manhattan, would the law be enforced? Or is this law never enforced?

How come if this is general knowledge on this forum the situation is not looked into by authorities?

The irony, of course, is that Jackson Heights was first developed in the 1920's as an escape from the crowded tenements with similar housing situations described above in Manhattan. And now Jackson Heights has become the very thing it tried to escape from. Plus ca change...

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2019, 09:00:16 AM »
it's completely illegal, and enforcement, for better or worse, is up to individual inspectors. some will enforce, some will suggest that "something" can be done to encourage them to look the other way. some handle things by the book (issuing an order to be carried out by a court), some put on padlocks that punish the renters (who lose their few possessions on the spot).

as you said, a lot of old Manhattan was actually built that way. the Lower East Side and the (long, long razed) west side equivalent had hundreds of buildings where renters lived with bathtubs in the kitchen (i had one in an early place). some lived in tenements that did not have in-apartment toilets at all, but had one toilet per floor, serving four apartments -- a friend of mine lived in one of those, on East 7th, just off First Ave, back in the mid-'80s. those were legal.

it's not unique to Jackson Heights, Astoria, Woodside, but we have the housing stock that lets it happen -- small buildings with large apartments. the houses have 5/6 room units with larger rooms that can be divided (as opposed to small studios with nowhere to put shoddy walls).

Offline Simka

• Council Member
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2019, 09:49:48 PM »
The area has been cleaned up since I posted, fortunately. If it gets bad again I'll definitely call 311 to report it.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2019, 09:49:48 PM »