Author Topic: Petition to Keep Travers Park Car Free & Safe - Please sign!  (Read 874 times)

Offline sarahchurch

• Citizen
Petition to Keep Travers Park Car Free & Safe - Please sign!
« on: April 15, 2019, 11:57:40 PM »
Please sign this petition to keep Travers Park car free!   https://www.change.org/p/koeppel-madza-keep-travers-park-safe-and-car-free?recruiter=360972628&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=psf_combo_share_initial&utm_term=psf_combo_share_abi&recruited_by_id=87abf0c0-421f-11e5-b92a-f99d3786bc83&utm_content=fht-14952941-en-us%3Av5

As the $6 million renovation of Travers Park enters its final phase, the De Blasio Administration is attempting to quietly break their commitment to close 78th Street completely to cars as a result of pressure from Koeppel Mazda, and use public money that was earmarked for the last stage of park renovations to build a dangerous, private driveway for Koeppel instead.

This breaks a commitment from the NYC Department of Transportation, is an egregious misuse of tax dollars, and creates a dangerous situation in which cars and park-goers will be in open conflict.

Koeppel Mazda’s new service entrance falls within the redesigned park’s boundaries and will endanger this vitally important community plan to expand open space, combat climate change, and protect the park-goers from conflicts with dangerous motor vehicles.

Jackson Heights suffers from having the least amount of open space per capita in New York City as well as a high rate of pedestrian fatalities, in particular on Northern Boulevard. For the past ten years, the community been working closely with Council Member Dromm to permanently close 78th Street between Northern Blvd and 34th Avenue to all vehicular traffic to facilitate expanding Travers Park.

Click the link above to sign the petition!  Thanks!

Online itsit

• Mayor
Re: Petition to Keep Travers Park Car Free & Safe - Please sign!
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2019, 06:37:52 AM »
 I would seriously question this proposal. Elections are coming and someone has this one in their sights as a victory for them but many others believe its not the best for the community.

The most obvious question is safety. What do the proposals show this space would be used for? It's a weird, industrial type space and doesn't significantly add value to the park except by square footage but not by function. As Northern Blvd gets busier, and with congestion pricing that may change more, the necessity of this inset would offset any gain in sq. footage for the park.he release valve this inset which was proposed in the initial park discussions and continued to be left in the plan for YEARS while the renovation progressed, was in agreement with the communities desire to get this space and work with all existing neighbors. Some of the community groups that have been working with the park for years are not in favor of this proposal.

What would this area most likely be used for? Soccer or cricket would be my guess. The two walls make for a great enclosure to hit the hard cricket balls or swift soccer balls right near the little, little kids area. Its easy to picture now and I hope someone will draw the plans as it so likely! Those sports lost their playing area in the park where the green mound is and in the summer they look for anywhere there is a few feet to play in.

If you do care about kids, think before you are swept up into this argument as to what the changes would actually mean. The tradeoff here is not worth it. But it is interesting to think of who is going to use this fight first in their campaign material locally. Instead, let's celebrate how nice the park looks now and what is needed to keep it in good shape through the year. Replace the many plants that died, figure out the dog situation and maybe, just maybe, help the teens who heavily use the basketball courts that have gone untouched through three! park renovations. They are kids too and they matter!

Offline queenskid2

• Activist
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2019, 10:18:15 AM »

Koeppel Mazda’s new service entrance falls within the redesigned park’s boundaries and will endanger this vitally important community plan to expand open space, combat climate change, and protect the park-goers from conflicts with dangerous motor vehicles.

Is the service entrance really new?  Hasn't there been a service entrance on 78th Street for over 40 years.  Has an alternative to this longstanding entrance been suggested?  And why do we want to place children closer to Northern Boulevard.  Isn't having a buffer safer?

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2019, 12:25:30 PM »
78th street itself has been there a lot longer than 40 years, and the city opted to close that. why should a carve out be made for Koeppel?

Online Paul11372

• Activist
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2019, 01:01:35 PM »
78th street itself has been there a lot longer than 40 years, and the city opted to close that. why should a carve out be made for Koeppel?

One could also ask why the taxpayer forked over 5mm plus to help save a dying private school who's tuition costs are about 2/3rd's of the neighborhoods median income?

Offline queenskid2

• Activist
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2019, 01:11:27 PM »

Because the entrance pre-dates the plan.  Service is a huge part of the car business.  Do they just close down?  Can the city just block the entrance to a business on the theory the street was there first?

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2019, 01:54:12 PM »
if we're being technical, the business moved there in November of 2018 -- from further down Northern Boulevard -- so it didn't predate the plan. the business moved in knowing the plan was in place.

Offline am315

• Activist
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2019, 02:53:27 PM »
The building is new and was constructed over the last year for the Mazda dealership. They could have located the service entrance elsewhere on the property.  I'm not familiar with the agreement the city made with the neighborhood but that little strip of land isn't conducive as an extension to the park given its proximity to Northern. One thing I did notice when I walked by that side of the dealership is there doesn't seem to be an official curb cut for the dealer entrance which makes me think they just put it there in anticipation that they would get their way on this.

Offline Jhx

• Activist
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2019, 03:41:48 PM »
 I have not seen this so-called driveway, but if there is no curb cut, technically and legally it is not a driveway. So I think you should be talking to the department of transportation about that and the police department about driving over the sidewalk.

Offline Dudley

• Activist
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2019, 05:57:26 PM »
One could also ask why the taxpayer forked over 5mm plus to help save a dying private school who's tuition costs are about 2/3rd's of the neighborhoods median income?

The city bought the land from the school, yes, but saving it was not on anyone's agenda. We saw an opportunity to expand park space for our neighborhood, and worked to make it happen. The school was eager to sell to anyone. At first it was to be a private developer because the money would reach them faster than if the city bought it, but luckily things worked out in our favor and now it's part of the park.

Offline JHResident

• Citizen
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2019, 06:50:18 PM »
I think there's a lot of confusion about this Mazda dealer. It is not completely new construction, there was previously a one storey Toyota dealership on the same spot with the same driveway and the same street access. The construction was to add a second storey to the building.
That being said, if the city wants to close this street and inconvenience the rest of the people like it inconvenienced me, I'm all for it.

Offline jh35

• Activist
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2019, 07:58:09 PM »
Please sign my petition: (This is tongue in cheek. Parks can only be replaced by approval of the State legislature.)

https://www.change.org/p/ny-state-legislature-replace-jackson-heights-ny-travers-park-with-a-multi-level-parking-lot/preview

Replace Jackson Heights, NY Travers Park with a multi level parking lot.

Jackson Heights is overcrowded with parked cars. It is dangerous for our children to interact with cars circling the neighborhood looking for parking spaces.

Travers Park is located on Northern Boulevard and is near the Roosevelt Avenue subway stations. With the impending start of Manhattan Congestion pricing Jackson Heights will need more parking spaces for people driving to Queens from Nassau and Suffolk Counties. A multi-level parking structure is a perfect solution to a local problem.

I started this petition because...
Traffic is affecting everyone in the Jackson Heights neighborhood. Those with cars waste time trying to find a parking space near their home. People without cars have to dodge the cars circling the neighborhood.

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2019, 08:12:48 PM »
to flip the script of a conspiracy theorist in another thread, are the anti-park forces running for office? do they have a financial stake in the issue?

Offline carrefour_ny

• Mayor
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2019, 11:10:31 AM »
Why can't Koeppel cars pull out on Northern Blvd? There is no reason why they need the space on 78th Street other than to use public space to extend their business. I'd much rather see park space there, and not Koeppel's parking lot.
Signed the (real) petition:

https://www.change.org/p/koeppel-madza-keep-travers-park-safe-and-car-free?recruiter=2961378&recruited_by_id=58210f54-c908-40a1-861a-34ede2b63c25&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=copylink&utm_campaign=psf_combo_share_abi&utm_term=share_petition

Offline jh35

• Activist
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2019, 11:31:27 AM »
to flip the script of a conspiracy theorist in another thread, are the anti-park forces running for office? do they have a financial stake in the issue?

Yes, I am running for Mayor of Jackson Heights.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2019, 11:31:27 AM »