Author Topic: Planes overhead this morning  (Read 723 times)

Offline ellencrotty@yahoo.com

• Tourist
Planes overhead this morning
« on: April 13, 2019, 07:29:34 AM »
Good morning! I was woken up around 6am by planes flying overhead, and have heard them continuously for the last hour and a half. I live in dunolly gardens, have been here for about two and a half years and have never heard planes like this. Does anyone have any insight into this air traffic? Is it weather related?

Offline Ecrivain

• Resident
Re: Planes overhead this morning
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2019, 07:35:45 AM »
Broadly speaking, yes, it is weather related. It’s a well known and much resented local phenomenon on warmer weekends. Usually some kind of runway work. LaGuardia flight patterns are shifted. Always starts at an ungodly hour. You can follow this stuff on Port Authority website. Maybe someone has link at hand. There has been much anguished discussion of it hereabouts

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2019, 08:28:52 AM »
Above is correct. There are certain weekends when maintenance is done on LGA runways. You can check the Webtrak site. What you want to look for is something that says, "Runway 13/31 will be closed..."

Offline ellencrotty@yahoo.com

• Tourist
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2019, 08:47:14 AM »
Thank you for the responses. I also filed a complaint here https://www.planenoise.com/panynj/daPRAbr9/qs114wbt.php

Offline Formosa

• Citizen
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2019, 09:55:47 AM »
I would encourage other folks to keep our government bureaucracies honest by filing those complaints.  Should anyone doubt the efficacy of such endeavors, the following articles suggest otherwise--

https://qns.com/story/2018/12/10/faa-begin-oversight-laguardia-flight-patterns-noise-abatement/
http://nycitylens.com/2019/02/queens-anti-noise-warriors-score-hard-fought-victory/

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2019, 11:21:20 AM »
complaints aren't going to change the current problem -- as long as there's an airport, there will be runways, and as long as there are runways, there will be repairs. they can, however, impact the gatekeepers in terms of not adding the new flights that are probably planned for the "new and improved" LGA.

i'm just glad we're not North Flushing, College Point or Soundview, where they get this stuff on all the days we don't.

Offline abcdefghijk

• Mayor
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2019, 07:45:15 PM »
There were also overhead flights around 2am this morning.

We should be very aware that the flight curfew from 12 midnight to 6am is a voluntary one for LGA.
And not a legal requirement.

I figure that the "new, improved LGA" would be thrilled to get rid of any curfew.

Also DSSJH, just because other neighborhoods suffer, which is WRONG that they should, doesn't mean we should.
Again, two wrongs don't make a right.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 07:54:51 PM by abcdefghijk »

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2019, 09:26:08 PM »
the curfew should be hard and fast. at the very least.

but again, we're back to the question:

do we close LGA entirely or not?

you're suggesting that no neighborhoods around the airport should have planes take off or land over them. and i ask, with total seriousness, how you suggest the airport operate without that happening.

i am not insulting you. i am not disrespecting you. i'm asking you how an airport can operate -- with current technology -- without airplanes that make noise.

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2019, 09:31:21 PM »

We should be very aware that the flight curfew from 12 midnight to 6am is a voluntary one for LGA.

I figure that the "new, improved LGA" would be thrilled to get rid of any curfew.

Also DSSJH, just because other neighborhoods suffer, which is WRONG that they should, doesn't mean we should.

I didn't hear the planes at 2 am but I went on Webtrak and found at least one from around that time. Flight UAL2214 from LGA to Chicago left at 1:42 (but Webtrak showed it flying overhead at 1:56 am).

What's very strange to me is that I was on a flight one time from Chicago to LGA that left very late from Chicago, and we were informed as we were departing that we should call whoever was planning to pick us up from LGA and let them know we would be diverted to Newark, due to the curfew at LGA. In the end, we did fly into LGA. I can't remember what time it was; perhaps they figured out how to get in under the curfew, but I do know they treated the curfew as serious business.

So why now are they letting a flight take off at 1:45 am?

Offline abcdefghijk

• Mayor
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2019, 08:21:29 AM »

I didn't hear the planes at 2 am but I went on Webtrak and found at least one from around that time. Flight UAL2214 from LGA to Chicago left at 1:42 (but Webtrak showed it flying overhead at 1:56 am).

What's very strange to me is that I was on a flight one time from Chicago to LGA that left very late from Chicago, and we were informed as we were departing that we should call whoever was planning to pick us up from LGA and let them know we would be diverted to Newark, due to the curfew at LGA. In the end, we did fly into LGA. I can't remember what time it was; perhaps they figured out how to get in under the curfew, but I do know they treated the curfew as serious business.

So why now are they letting a flight take off at 1:45 am?

I reiterate that the LGA curfew is a voluntary one. And not a legal requirement.

Perhaps in the past they took the curfew seriously. But I envision that the "new, improved" LGA will now begin to flex its muscles.

And that will include disregarding the voluntary curfew.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 08:28:35 AM by abcdefghijk »

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2019, 08:48:42 AM »
that is undeniable. there should be nothing voluntary about it. "self-regulation" on this level is laughable.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2019, 08:48:42 AM »