Author Topic: USPS vandalism  (Read 1368 times)

Offline carrefour_ny

• Mayor
USPS vandalism
« on: April 03, 2019, 05:53:15 PM »
The mail carrier on my street (77th) has written our apartment numbers in permanent marker on our brass mailbox cover. It's not that there aren't apartment numbers -- I guess that's just easier for them. I am absolutely incensed by the arrogance and thoughtlessness! Now we're stuck with this person's ugly handwriting graffiti on our property. Who does that????? How is that okay?

I wrote to the postmaster. Let's see if this person cares at all.

If you're on 77th, you might want to put up a sign preemptively.

Offline Chingwa

• Activist
Re: USPS vandalism
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2019, 11:24:31 AM »
That's horrible.  Rubbing alcohol or Acetone will probably get it out.

Offline lalochezia

• Mayor
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2019, 11:35:09 AM »
That's really annoying, and as you say, vandalism.

How do you know it's the mail carrier?

Offline carrefour_ny

• Mayor
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2019, 11:48:30 AM »
Thanks! I'll try rubbing alcohol. Do you happen to know if it is safe for brass?

Offline JHHD

• Tourist
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2019, 05:09:08 PM »
Maybe something like barkeepers friend would work.

Offline Eastway

• Tourist
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2019, 08:32:07 AM »
Same thing happened to our mailboxes on 76th St. Easy to clean the brass with Brasso  or other metal polish but really annoying. Our regular carrier claims it was a substitute who probably did it.
I complained to the supervisor at the post office and also online at USPS. I did receive an emailed apology and promise that it wouldn't reoccur.

Offline Simka

• Council Member
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2019, 04:31:56 PM »
The mail carrier on my street (77th) has written our apartment numbers in permanent marker on our brass mailbox cover. It's not that there aren't apartment numbers -- I guess that's just easier for them. I am absolutely incensed by the arrogance and thoughtlessness! Now we're stuck with this person's ugly handwriting graffiti on our property. Who does that????? How is that okay?

I wrote to the postmaster. Let's see if this person cares at all.

Did you get a response from the postmaster?

Offline bellabella

• Mayor
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2019, 06:40:42 PM »
Doesn't surprise me one bit. At least you get your mail. We receive everyone's but ours. We've complained countless times. USPS is a joke. They do not care one bit!! We haven't had the same mailperson in years. They are always on their phones not paying attention to anything.

Offline Simka

• Council Member
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2019, 07:27:46 PM »
Doesn't surprise me one bit. At least you get your mail. We receive everyone's but ours. We've complained countless times. USPS is a joke. They do not care one bit!! We haven't had the same mailperson in years. They are always on their phones not paying attention to anything.

I feel lucky—I haven't had any significant mail issues where I live (in Washington Plaza) in the 6-7 years I've been here.

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2019, 09:19:56 PM »
i've lived in the neighborhood for 23 years -- six years in one place, 17 in the current one -- and had a total of three mail carriers. knew them all by name, always had excellent service. i guess the old "your results may vary" thing applies in this realm, too.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2019, 09:19:56 PM »