Author Topic: DenDekker introduces a bill for safe bike lane enforcement  (Read 921 times)

Offline earbears

• Mayor
DenDekker introduces a bill for safe bike lane enforcement
« on: March 16, 2019, 06:38:04 PM »
Michael DenDekker:

I introduced A6674 to create a bicycle lane enforcement program using photo devices to enforce vehicle restrictions in certain bicycle lanes. Drivers illegally using these lanes must be held accountable.

https://nyassembly.gov/leg/?bn=A06674&term=2019&fbclid=IwAR0mhjEG3huXyfDUgUEdcpjjnefJ7wECZhDWH3-Uee_FFMzOGdv-l18cZqU

Offline wlirfan

• Activist
Re: DenDekker introduces a bill for safe bike lane enforcement
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2019, 05:31:23 PM »
Question -- is he also going to introduce a law that compels bike riders to actually USE the bike lane where one if made available?  Because one of the issues I've faced is having to drive down a newly narrow road with a bike lane, and bike riders are both to my right (properly in the lane) and to my left, so there's no room for a car to actually drive.  Also, does this bill increase police enforcement to prevent people from double-parking, which would necessarily mean that any driver that wants to move forward has to use the bike lane to go around the car?   

Offline francis

• Mayor
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2019, 06:01:10 PM »
Hope he writes a bill for vehicle enforcement while he's at it!

Offline Chingwa

• Activist
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2019, 08:33:03 PM »
The proposed bill specifically talks about protected bike lanes, but how would a car drive on a protected lane?  Is this actually a problem?

Offline JHResident

• Citizen
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2019, 01:03:17 AM »
how would a car drive on a protected lane?  Is this actually a problem?
On Queens Blvd near 63rd Drive, there are certain spots where it is impossible to get around double parked cars without driving through the bicycle lane, which is temporarily unprotected to allow merging into the main road from the service lane. The bill doesn't really define protected bike lanes, but the DOT defines them as "A protected bike lane is a path intended for the use of bicycles that is physically separated from motorized vehicle traffic by an open space, vertical delineation, or barrier.” Virtually no bicycles use the protected Lanes on Queens Blvd, probably because these are so poorly engineered that they are more of a hazard for riders than any kind of protection.,

Offline Chingwa

• Activist
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2019, 01:54:40 PM »
They destroyed that stretch of Queen's Boulevard.  It's the worst traffic planning I've ever seen. :(

Offline ShinjukuBaby

• Activist
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2019, 07:10:27 AM »
Good for him. People are constantly parking cars in bike lanes, blocking them and creating very unsafe conditions.  Thank you, Assemblyperson DenDekker!

Offline M7X7

• Activist
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2019, 09:07:15 AM »

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2019, 09:07:15 AM »