Author Topic: Noise issue  (Read 855 times)

Offline prospectivebuyer

• Tourist
Noise issue
« on: March 13, 2019, 09:41:26 AM »
Hi All,

I have an noise issue with my neighbor. It seems that when she goes to the bathroom she turns on a fan. The problem is that the fan is pretty loud. I wouldn't mind so much but she turns on the fan before 6 am and sometimes after 11 pm. I even hear it with my bedroom door closed and I am not able to get a good night's sleep.  I have complained to my super and even sent him video recording of the sound. It seemed to go away for a few days and came right back.

Does anyone have experience with an issues like this? What are my options here. Do I go back to my super again?

Thanks!

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
Re: Noise issue
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2019, 10:07:49 AM »
I can think of two other options. One would be to approach your neighbor directly, if you feel comfortable doing that. Maybe you can find some suggestions that you could follow to make this approach more likely to be successful. I actually did that once and it was a big fiasco, so it certainly doesn't always work.

The other solution is to get a really strong white noise machine like the Lectrofan. I'm a very light sleeper and wake up to all sorts of things, so I use a combination of Mack's silicone earplugs and the Lectrofan, and I can easily sleep through noise that I couldn't have otherwise. However, I still hear my phone and my alarm clock.

Offline Lilybell

• Mayor
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2019, 10:13:57 AM »
Shelby's advice is good! I sleep with a white noise machine and it is a lifesaver. If your neighbor is normal, it might help to speak with her directly. My upstairs neighbor doesn't have a/c in his bedroom and was putting a box fan on the floor, and it vibrated and made an insanely loud noise in my apartment. I'm generally tolerant of noise but this was just too much. I saw him in the elevator and nicely asked him if he would put it on a rug or table and he was so gracious about it. He had no idea it made so much noise (i wouldn't have expected it to be so loud either). 

Offline deja

• Activist
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2019, 11:38:50 AM »
I had a problem like that, the neighbor in the apartment next to mine had a fan that literally vibrated the walls and floor in my bedroom.  I could feel it sitting in my desk chair and it was constant.  I asked the super to talk to her, and she moved the fan.  I guess it was hitting a resonant frequency or something.  I would have happily bought her a mat for it to dampen the noise and vibration if I had to.

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2019, 12:58:45 PM »
i think talking to the person is a good first step -- perhaps you could agree on acceptable hours at the very least.

this discussion reminds me of a situation many years ago with friends of mine. one was regularly, non-specifically, complaining about issues with a noisy upstairs neighbor. another was regularly, non-specifically complaining about a complaint-heavy downstairs neighbor. after about a year, i put together the pieces and discovered that i knew both parties (though they didn't know each other).

made me think that eventually, this board could well have that sort of path-crossing between parties.

Offline prospectivebuyer

• Tourist
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2019, 09:48:32 AM »
Thank you all. I think I will invest in a white noise machine for sure. I think this will be helpful at night. I will try to talk to my super one more time though. Hopefully it helps!

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2019, 09:48:32 AM »