Author Topic: Warique restaurant - Peruvian  (Read 3324 times)

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
Warique restaurant - Peruvian
« on: March 08, 2019, 02:38:38 PM »
Peruvian restaurant moving from Astoria to Jackson Heights.

Warique FB page

Offline StevenGrey

• Council Member
Re: Warique restaurant - Peruvian
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2019, 05:17:05 PM »
I'm trilled by this news! (Sorry, I just couldn't resist)

Offline JHMNY

• Global Moderator
  • Council Member
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2019, 10:22:12 AM »
Looking forward to Warique's opening. Does anyone know where in Jackson Heights?

I came across an older article from the Astoria Post announcing Warique's opening in Astoria back in 2015. Apparently a rent increase forced them to move to Astoria from their original location on the upper west side of Manhattan. Hoping things work well for them in Jackson Heights. Here's a link to the 2015 Astoria Post article in case anyone wants to read more:

https://astoriapost.com/peruvian-restaurant-moving-to-astoria-from-manhattan

Online JH3525

• Council Member
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2019, 11:11:01 AM »
I'm guessing its either the El Rico Tinto or Swim Two Birds locations which is 10 blocks from Urubama a very popular Peruvian Restaurant 10 blocks East on 37th Ave & 86 Street. 

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2019, 03:27:46 PM »
My guess is Northern Blvd.

Offline JHMNY

• Global Moderator
  • Council Member
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2019, 02:33:14 PM »
I just noticed that Warique updated its address on Facebook to 90-04 37th Avenue. That's the former Taco Mix location. Hmmm... I didn't get to try Taco Mix, but I assume the space is smallish. Anyone know?

Offline MrPlaza

• Council Member
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2019, 01:49:18 PM »
I just noticed that Warique updated its address on Facebook to 90-04 37th Avenue. That's the former Taco Mix location. Hmmm... I didn't get to try Taco Mix, but I assume the space is smallish. Anyone know?
I've been there. Yes. It's tiny. This is really surprising. There was literally no seating. Only bar height table ledging along the window and part of the wall. The rest of the space was for standing around to place/wait for your order. Unless they shrink the kitchen — which seems unlikely because I would imagine they require more space than a taco joint — I don't think it's going to be the same kind of dining experience as what they had in Astoria.

Offline JHMNY

• Global Moderator
  • Council Member
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2019, 05:18:44 PM »
I've been there. Yes. It's tiny. This is really surprising. There was literally no seating. Only bar height table ledging along the window and part of the wall. The rest of the space was for standing around to place/wait for your order. Unless they shrink the kitchen — which seems unlikely because I would imagine they require more space than a taco joint — I don't think it's going to be the same kind of dining experience as what they had in Astoria.

The owner/s of the restaurant must have made some adjustments to accommodate tables. According to this article from the Jackson Heights Post, there will be indoor seating for 18.

Peruvian Restaurant To Open on 37th Avenue; Owner Relocates Eatery From Astoria

Lozano is applying for a liquor license and for sidewalk seating to supplement the 18 indoor seats.

Offline ljr

• Council Member
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2019, 07:44:36 PM »
Hmmm....it's a couple of blocks above Urubamba, a very popular Peruvian restaurant, and much smaller. I wonder if that will work.

Online JH3525

• Council Member
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2019, 03:39:43 PM »
ljr:  I was thinking the exact same thing as you.  Its just 4 blocks from very popular Urumba which is spacious and has excellent food.  They took the space on 90th Street because its significantly cheaper than space in the 70's which would have been a far better choice far away from Urumba.   Warique will have to focus heavily on inexpensive take out in order to survive. 

Offline ljr

• Council Member
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2019, 07:40:02 PM »
Yes, convenience of location is so important--we live in the 70s and have been to Urubamba and liked it very much--but the truth is, we are too lazy and/or tired to walk all the way up there, so when we dine out in the neighborhood, it's always within just a few blocks.

Offline MrPlaza

• Council Member
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2019, 06:48:41 AM »
Yes, convenience of location is so important--we live in the 70s and have been to Urubamba and liked it very much--but the truth is, we are too lazy and/or tired to walk all the way up there, so when we dine out in the neighborhood, it's always within just a few blocks.
Same. Though when we want Puruvian, Anzuelo Fino takes the cake.

Offline carrefour_ny

• Mayor
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2019, 10:30:05 AM »
@MrPlaza: I've never tried Anzuelo Fino -- thanks for mentioning it, I'll check it out. I don't mind walking at all.

Offline JA

• Citizen
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2019, 12:43:07 PM »

In Lima, huariques are small, almost hidden restaurants that are often in the patio of somebody's house and typically only serve one or two items. They are informal, do not have posted menus, and keep irregular hours, but are dependable and cheap sources of home cooked meals. Maybe this is what they are going for. Plenty of full-service Peruvian spots in the neighborhood already including the cavernous Pio Pio.

Offline JHMNY

• Global Moderator
  • Council Member
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2019, 04:08:05 PM »

In Lima, huariques are small, almost hidden restaurants that are often in the patio of somebody's house and typically only serve one or two items. They are informal, do not have posted menus, and keep irregular hours, but are dependable and cheap sources of home cooked meals. Maybe this is what they are going for. Plenty of full-service Peruvian spots in the neighborhood already including the cavernous Pio Pio.

I get it. I only mentioned its size because Warique looked like it moved here from a much larger space in Astoria, or at least that's the impression I got from looking at photos posted to Yelp.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2019, 04:08:05 PM »