Author Topic: Pedestrian killed by bus at 75th/Roosevelt  (Read 1064 times)

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
Pedestrian killed by bus at 75th/Roosevelt
« on: March 04, 2019, 08:40:13 AM »
https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/MTA-Bus-Kill-Pedestrian-Queens-506647581.html

An MTA bus struck and killed a pedestrian in Queens, dragging him along the road before coming to a stop early Monday, authorities say.

The man was hit and dragged by the bus near Roosevelt Avenue and 75th Street in Jackson Heights shortly before 3 a.m. He was taken to a hospital in critical condition and later died. He has not been identified.

It's not clear how far the man was dragged by the bus. Police say no criminality is suspected and it appears the driver did not realize the person had been hit.

Authorities are investigating if weather may have been a factor in the accident, which happened as snowfall rates started to ramp up overnight.

Offline jackson_lights

• Tourist
Re: Pedestrian killed by bus at 75th/Roosevelt
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2019, 09:38:57 AM »
That's awful. My heart goes out to the man and his family. I often feel unsafe in that intersection. I know this incident happened in the middle of the night, but during rush hour when I'm there the number of cars, buses, and people going through that intersection is maddening. In many ways it's worse than Times Square, and part of a larger problem of excess traffic in the neighborhood. DOT and MTA need to do something.

Offline JHResident

• Citizen
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2019, 11:25:55 AM »
This intersection is extremely dangerous, despite the traffic department's efforts to direct traffic out of the area. Too many pedestrians take risks just to save a few seconds. This is an area that is crying out for some kind of left turn lights to go with the left turn lanes that were painted. More importantly, police need to enforce pedestrian right of way laws and jaywalking laws. The traffic lights on 74th street often cause cars to back up into the crosswalks on 75th street and frustrated drivers trying to turn on Roosevelt end up finishing their turns after the lights have turned red. And the number of cars making left turns in front of oncoming traffic with no regard for pedestrian safety is a recipe for more accidents. I try to avoid this area as much as possible, both as a pedestrian and a driver. The people who did the traffic study recently need to revisit the area to reassess what they have wrought.

Online dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2019, 11:47:04 AM »
pedestrians do behave badly at this intersection. but too many MTA drivers seem to mistake their horns for brakes when they're assigned routes here. i can understand trying to beat a light changing from yellow to red, but these guys blow through solid red on a daily basis.

Offline scannest

• Tourist
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2019, 02:45:50 PM »
As someone who crosses this intersection a dozen times every week, I constantly see bus drivers turning off Roosevelt into that depot with seemingly ZERO concern for pedestrians crossing. I'm talking people with the right of way, crossing with the light. They just make their turn and assume everyone will stop and let them pass. The only shocking thing about this is that it happened in the middle of the night and not at rush hour.

Offline ljr

• Council Member
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2019, 05:41:52 PM »
It is horrible and yes, the bus drivers are aggressive. It needs to be policed.

Offline Maple

• Citizen
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2019, 10:23:47 PM »
I think a pedestrian was killed by a bus there maybe two years ago. Buses turning onto 75th St. from Roosevelt are often aggressive toward pedestrians who have the light and right of way crossing 75th Street.

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2019, 08:35:25 AM »
I think a pedestrian was killed by a bus there maybe two years ago. Buses turning onto 75th St. from Roosevelt are often aggressive toward pedestrians who have the light and right of way crossing 75th Street.

I've noticed this too. While crossing 75th St. on Roosevelt from the subway station over to where La Abundancia Bakery is, the bus drivers are extremely aggressive and muscle their way through that right turn off of Roosevelt in order to enter the bus depot. They completely disregard the fact that the pedestrians have the right of way.

Offline abcdefghijk

• Mayor
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2019, 09:35:38 AM »
Perhaps we need another tunnel to the sidewalk on the opposite side? Across 75th and maybe also across Roosevelt?

Offline jackson_lights

• Tourist
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2019, 09:53:52 AM »
Perhaps we need another tunnel to the sidewalk on the opposite side? Across 75th and maybe also across Roosevelt?

Good idea. I generally avoid using the tunnel to/from the east side of 75th because I don't like walking past that stinky dumpster near the garage. By the way, anyone here notice if they fixed that walk/don't walk sign near Famous Famiglia on the SW corner of Roosevelt & 75th? It's been hanging off-kilter for months (years?). 

Offline ShinjukuBaby

• Activist
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2019, 09:01:12 AM »
The number of cars, Ubers and taxis that are parked or standing or dropping off/picking up on Roosevelt between 74 and 75 is a huge problem.  They should enforce that area as being for busses only!

Offline Simka

• Council Member
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2019, 03:15:30 PM »
The number of cars, Ubers and taxis that are parked or standing or dropping off/picking up on Roosevelt between 74 and 75 is a huge problem.  They should enforce that area as being for busses only!

Meaning no cars could go through there at all? Or they just couldn't stop?

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2019, 03:15:30 PM »