Author Topic: New winner for ugliest renovation award  (Read 1160 times)

Online dssjh

• Mayor
New winner for ugliest renovation award
« on: February 25, 2019, 01:31:31 PM »
a building on 75th, just north of 37th Road, which houses (or housed) a lawyer's office on the ground floor. the owners have covered the first floor in large black tiles (or marble slabs) that resemble the restroom of a Russian nightclub in Brighton Beach. astounding.

Offline KGDHP

• Citizen
Re: New winner for ugliest renovation award
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2019, 03:01:45 PM »
a building on 75th, just north of 37th Road, which houses (or housed) a lawyer's office on the ground floor. the owners have covered the first floor in large black tiles (or marble slabs) that resemble the restroom of a Russian nightclub in Brighton Beach. astounding.

COULD NOT AGREE MORE! My partner looked at me when we were walking by and said "they must be taking those off." I was like nope...they are putting those on. Ugh. No accounting for taste, huh?

Offline JK resident

• Mayor
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2019, 11:10:39 PM »
You people are not fans of the International School! Calatrava would approve.

Online dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2019, 12:05:46 AM »
I'll grant that the juxtaposition with Home Depot aluminum siding is bold.

Offline hum@njukebox1

• Activist
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2019, 10:22:31 AM »
I wish the whole block between 37th Avenue and Roosevelt would be torn down.......and turned into a park.

Online dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2019, 11:11:23 AM »
there are actually a few really lovely houses that remain unspoiled, but i'd bet you could get support for eminent domain from our conservative posters -- it's a local emergency and we need a wall -- a pretty green wall! :)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 11:21:55 AM by dssjh »

Offline hum@njukebox1

• Activist
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2019, 12:22:36 PM »
That's true.  A few of those old homes could be saved if they were landscaped nicely to match the lovely park.

Offline jackson_lights

• Tourist
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2019, 09:49:40 AM »
There's a guy who is documenting all the wackadoo architecture in Queens. Here's a story: https://hyperallergic.com/415081/all-the-queens-houses-photographic-survey/.

I wish I had more of a sense of humor about it. Personally, ugly architecture just makes me depressed.

Offline abcdefghijk

• Mayor
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2019, 10:06:55 AM »
There's a guy who is documenting all the wackadoo architecture in Queens. Here's a story: https://hyperallergic.com/415081/all-the-queens-houses-photographic-survey/.

I wish I had more of a sense of humor about it. Personally, ugly architecture just makes me depressed.

Those houses on the website above are great. Wonderfully over-the-top kitsch that almost transcend bad taste to reach into fantasy.

Online dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2019, 10:19:26 AM »
here's one where we agree. once they reach the tipping point into surreal, they're pretty cool.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2019, 10:19:26 AM »