Author Topic: Jackson Heights Supper Club  (Read 1236 times)

Offline MrPlaza

• Council Member
Jackson Heights Supper Club
« on: February 06, 2019, 02:33:16 PM »
As promised in the Laly's Restaurant thread, breaking this off into a separate conversation.

I wanted to gauge the appetite (pun intended) of folks on the idea of a supper club that toured the neighborhood's various eateries?

I once belonged to a small super club with a small handful of friends, but one of them was constantly vetoed options because she didn't like Indian food, or didn't like ramen, or didn't like whatever. Understand that if this were to actually take off, you have to be open to a variety of restaurants.

I think what made it so hard among my friends was that we needed unanimity on the time and place. I think with this, you're either in or you're out.

So, chew on it (pun intended) and share your thoughts on the idea.

Offline lalochezia

• Mayor

Offline MrPlaza

• Council Member
Re: Jackson Heights Supper Club
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2019, 04:16:03 PM »
FYI

http://chopsticksandmarrow.com/tag/queens-dinner-club/
Oh, I'm aware of the renown Queens Supper Club. But I figured something smaller and hyperlocal would pull the JH hermits out of their holes. And you'd meet your ACTUAL neighbors.

Offline Fedup

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2019, 04:41:10 PM »
I'm really interested in this. I see the same people in JH all the time but never actually talk to them. It would be nice to meet other residents.

I'd suspect you'd have to keep it rather small to allow the group to book tables in restaurants though, right?

Offline carrefour_ny

• Mayor
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2019, 09:23:37 AM »
I'd totally be interested in this. Jeff O's ambassador program was somewhat similar and it worked fabulous.

It doesn't need to be logistically complicated. Pick a restaurant and send an email to those interested in joining on that occasion.

Thanks for suggesting this.

Offline Jeffsayyes

• Mayor
    • Jeffrey Tastes
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2019, 12:15:52 PM »
Great idea! Yes, when I first moved here, I started the JHFG or Jackson Heights Food Group. I totally hear you on the problems coordinating with friends, so you really just gotta set a place and time and whoever comes comes. It was never a problem. I made a resolution that I would continue until no one came for two weeks in a row - and it never happened even once.

We have a wealth of people here who want to eat out at these interesting places but most of their friends don't want to come all the way out to queens (...).  I eventually stopped it because the friends I met in the beginning were who I really wanted to hang out with and as it got bigger, I didn't care to meet any new people. I have a theory that you make friends who are in transitions, and the people who come will likely become friends for a long time.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2019, 12:15:52 PM »