Author Topic: Man shot and killed at 90th St/Elmhurst Ave station  (Read 2715 times)

Offline JHMNY

• Global Moderator
  • Council Member
Man shot and killed at 90th St/Elmhurst Ave station
« on: February 03, 2019, 02:46:29 PM »
A man was shot and killed at the 90th Street/Elmhurst Ave station of the 7 line today. There's not much more information out about this yet.

AM New York:

https://www.amny.com/news/subway-shooting-death-queens-1.26815367

Offline toddg

• Mayor
  • Lived here since: 2002

Offline StevenGrey

• Council Member
Re: Man shot and killed at 90th St/Elmhurst Ave station
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2019, 05:31:38 PM »
Why is the very worst violence in this area always happening in and around that station?

Offline Di_11372

• Activist
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2019, 06:25:26 PM »

I know there are older threads here regarding the topic of the violent crimes being primarily around Roosevelt, near the 90th st station. I am pretty sure I recall reading several yrs ago that it's due to the fact that the gangs are located  in that region of the neighborhood.

Offline JK resident

• Council Member
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2019, 08:32:15 PM »
Roosevelt Avenue has always been the epicenter of crime in the Jackson Heights area. In China you have go through metal detectors before you enter the subway.

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2019, 08:59:06 PM »
i'd welcome the $1.00 per fare that would add. not to mention the nice long delays during rush hour.

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2019, 10:10:42 AM »
there's precise video imagery, so the shooter should be caught.

warning: graphic video.

https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/ny-metro-man-fatally-shot-queens-subway-20190203-story.html

Offline the80s

• Activist
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2019, 11:10:09 AM »
Sources told NY1 "the victim was a member of the 18th Street gang, which has been growing in Queens, and the gunman is believed to be a member of the rival gang MS-13." https://www.ny1.com/nyc/queens/news/2019/02/04/police-investigate-deadly-7-train-shooting-

Offline JK resident

• Council Member
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2019, 11:24:45 AM »
Sad that we have all these gangs here. The brutality of this murder shows why these MS-13 gang members need to be caught and in many cases deported. Many families will not want to move to the area when they read about these gang crimes.

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2019, 01:12:43 PM »
gangs are a big problem, but most gang members overall are American-born and citizens. MS-13 started here, and while some of their members can be deported if arrested, a lot cannot.

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2019, 01:28:55 PM »
i was about to post that...good news. hoping any others involved are in custody soon.

Offline jeanette

• Mayor
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2019, 04:29:44 PM »
beyond upsetting

Offline jeanette

• Mayor
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2019, 04:41:27 PM »
deja vu, posted here in 2013:

"Queens District Attorney Richard A. Brown announced on September 29 that Pedro Silva, 20, a purported member of the M18 street gang, has been charged with fatally shooting a 33-year-old Corona man beneath the elevated Roosevelt Avenue train tracks in Jackson Heights.
Brown said, “In another unfortunate example of the senseless gun violence that seems to more and more permeate our society, the defendant is accused of chasing after the victim with others and fatally shooting him in the head while he was lying helplessly on the ground. His alleged actions were violent and ruthless and the charges against him will be vigorously prosecuted.”
The district attorney identified the defendant as Silva, of 33-32 89th St. in  Jackson Heights.  Silva, who is presently awaiting arraignment in Queens Criminal Court, is charged with second-degree murder, second-degree criminal possession of a weapon and tampering with physical evidence.  If convicted, Silva faces up to 25 years to life in prison. 
Brown said that, according to the charges, Silva, along with several other gang members, was chasing the victim, Ivan Rodriguez, 33, of Corona, at approximately 6:00 p.m. on September 20.  When Rodriguez fell in front of 89-08 Roosevelt Avenue, Silva shot him, striking him in the head and neck – before fleeing and discarding his weapon in a pile of garbage near 37th Avenue. Thereafter, police allegedly recovered a .22 caliber firearm, five spent rounds and one live round from a pile of garbage located in front of 37-61 88th Street.
Rodriguez was transported to a local Queens hospital where he was pronounced dead."

Offline Fedup

• Resident
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2019, 05:01:51 PM »
Guys, I know gang violence happens every day but I feel so anxious and literally nauseous from watching that vid on the NY Post. I'd suggest people don't watch the footage unless you're mentally strong because this has ripped me up.

What I'm having trouble dealing with in JH right now is that there is NO VISIBLE POLICE PRESENCE. We need uniformed cops patrolling the area RIGHT NOW. Have you SEEN how many cops sit in their idling cars when it's cold outside? Don't go into the Force unless you're willing and able to patrol these streets. Sitting in your police vehicles is NOT ENOUGH.

If the 115th Precinct is reading this, BLOOD IS ON YOUR HANDS. You don't care about our neighborhood. You don't care about brown people. You take our tax dollars and laugh it up as our kids are dying. THIS NEEDS TO END.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2019, 05:01:51 PM »