Author Topic: Inner Peace closing  (Read 1243 times)

Offline carrefour_ny

• Mayor
Inner Peace closing
« on: February 01, 2019, 02:08:26 PM »
I learned from an email from Table Wine this morning that Inner Peace is closing after 19 years in that location.

I personally liked the store but found that their selection didn't change much over the years. That said, I'm sad to see them go. How do you feel about the news? Do you shop there often?

Offline JK resident

• Mayor
Re: Inner Peace closing
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2019, 03:17:35 PM »
Not a lot of people are interested in their merchandise. I am amazed that they lasted 19 years. The final nail is Amazon.

Offline ljr

• Mayor
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2019, 03:59:31 PM »
The owner is a lovely person, and I think the place had its loyal customers over the years. But it's quite true that the merchandise did not change, and once you had gotten some gifts or home decor there, shopping there was repetitive. It had a theme: Inner Peace.

But I think it's hard for retail stores in general with online shopping being the easiest way to do things now. I heard that the owner may be keeping it as an online store, as a matter of fact, or starting a new online store.

Offline dotley

• Council Member
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2019, 06:52:39 AM »
My understanding is that the owner's husband was one of the firefighters killed in 911.  It was a very nice store with unique items but I think Lockwood may have more of a following and possibly a greater variety of things.  Very sad to lose yet another store.  Hopefully it will be replaced with something interesting.

Offline ljr

• Mayor
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2019, 07:21:31 PM »
The current owner of the store is one of two partners who opened it years ago--and it was the other partner whose husband was a firefighter killed on 9/11. I don't believe she has been involved in the store for many years, as she long ago moved away from NYC. It just seems so hard to keep a small business going. As usual, we will probably see another pharmacy go into that space. They seem to be the only stores that can survive, though it's hard to see how, given all the Duane Reade's, CVS's, and Rite Aids everywhere.

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2019, 07:37:19 PM »
with the exception of a couple of things, i do my drugstore type shopping at Frank's. prescriptions, too. Duane Reade may be 50 cents lower on toothpaste or deodorant, but i'd rather shop locally. when there's a super BOGO sale advertised or something, i might stop into the big box, but i prefer to keep that to a minimum.

i think most of the smaller pharmacies rely on a) medicare/medicaid scripts and b) ethnic loyalty: the bangladeshi pharmacy on 37 road, the russian/eastern european one around 79th, a couple of Latin-owned ones... it's still that way in parts of Brooklyn as well: Greenpoint still has pharmacies with Polish-only signage, Graham avenue has one or two Italian ones.....

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2019, 07:37:19 PM »