Author Topic: Three guys on Roosevelt & 79th St  (Read 3292 times)

Offline 80JHer

• Citizen
Re: Three guys on Roosevelt & 79th St
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2019, 02:35:50 PM »
the google street view is high comedy! that's totally the dudes....everyday.

very depressing news, a large group like JHBG can't get the ear of 115th?!?

this is what our elected officials should be demanding?  not worrying about when the next parade is or whatever national hot topic is relevant.  clean up our streets!

Offline lalochezia

• Mayor
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2019, 03:15:20 PM »
For those that can't see it on google street view

Offline ClydeM

• Citizen
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2019, 03:35:20 PM »
If you walk down the North side of Roosevelt in the early evening (5-7), you will see groups of 2-3 men standing at 78th, and I believe 76th. When they catch someone's attention, they seem to make a gesture directing them down the street. There is definitely something shady going on in those few blocks.

Offline JH.77

• Resident
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2019, 09:45:06 PM »
First, let's just admit this is the sort of profiling that cops aren't allowed to do anymore. Not because it wasn't a
useful tool, but because they misused it, it became racial profiling, and now their hands are tied.
But I also have to say....
When I first moved to the neighborhood there were cops that would be on foot (some even on horseback)
patrolling the area, eyes on the street, etc. etc.
Now there are just cops in cars (other that late-nights when a few try to control things on Roosevelt).
It makes a difference IMHO

Offline abcdefghijk

• Mayor
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2019, 09:28:50 AM »
Depending on whether you are male or female (or genderfluid)...the experience walking down Roosevelt is different.

Guys get directed to "massage" parlors.  Women get propositioned or cat-called.

Offline Fedup

• Resident
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2019, 05:06:44 PM »
Women get followed, too. I've been followed many times by sleazy men. Even when it's in broad daylight. I've had guys follow me in their cars. I've had guys yell out obscene things to me. It is revolting.

Offline abcdefghijk

• Mayor
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2019, 05:58:56 PM »
In an era when everything is online...

I am guessing that Roosevelt Ave is the last red light district in 21st Century NYC.

Is this correct?

I can't think of any other...in Brooklyn or the Bronx or Manhattan...unsure about S.I.

Anyone know?

Offline JonathanJnyc

• Tourist
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2019, 05:59:40 PM »
I notice them every day on my way to blink fitness... low lives.

Offline 80JHer

• Citizen
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2019, 07:54:34 PM »
Regurding the red light district .... it’s beyond embarrassing.  We are 20 min from midtown and this shit still goes on.

Utter failure of cops and local politicians.

We can have a million cops collecting overtime for pointless parades. every elected official gets a photo op. But we can’t afford actual police cleaning up our streets. I’m going on 3 years in jH. I think I have seen 3 maybe 4 cops actually walking around in all those years.  Laughable

Offline JHResident

• Citizen
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2019, 09:27:37 PM »
In an era when everything is online...

I am guessing that Roosevelt Ave is the last red light district in 21st Century NYC.

Is this correct?

I can't think of any other...in Brooklyn or the Bronx or Manhattan...unsure about S.I.

Anyone know?
Flushing
https://nypost.com/2019/02/02/inside-queens-hidden-sex-district

Offline Olivesta

• Resident
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2019, 12:31:57 AM »
I think the salon Nishu down 76th is a brothel so that would
explain the guys hanging round on 76th. I innocently went there for a pedicure once and it seemed as if that was not on the menu. I don’t see much engagement on this issue from local politicians.

Offline abcdefghijk

• Mayor
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2019, 09:09:09 AM »
Regurding the red light district .... it’s beyond embarrassing.  We are 20 min from midtown and this shit still goes on.

Utter failure of cops and local politicians.

We can have a million cops collecting overtime for pointless parades. every elected official gets a photo op. But we can’t afford actual police cleaning up our streets. I’m going on 3 years in jH. I think I have seen 3 maybe 4 cops actually walking around in all those years.  Laughable

I believe that in the 1970's Midtown itself used to be the red light district.

I guess when they cleaned up Times Square,  it moved here to Jackson Heights.

Offline cultartist

• Activist
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2019, 11:32:00 AM »
I mean, you gotta figure our elected officials must know about this.  They must see it as well.  If they don’t they’re not paying attention (which would be disturbing in itself).   So, the obvious question—are they doing anything about it or pondering a solution?  Or do they just throw up their hands and say “This is bigger than us, there’s nothing that we can do.”  You really gotta wonder. 

Offline am315

• Activist
Re: Three guys on Roosevelt & 79th St Update
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2019, 03:42:40 PM »
I emailed P.O. Liebold on this last week. 79th St  falls under the sector he supervises. He replied to me while he was on vacation in California and we arranged to talk today while he was still away.

He said the Vice squad has an open investigation with this group and has arrested at least one of them on prostitution related charges. Apparently these guys were steering people to a location on 79th where prostitution was happening. They also busted a man and a woman in one of the houses on 79th St and accused them of running prostitution from there. In between all that they have fined these guys for minor infractions like loitering.

Bottom line is that they are on it. But it sounds a bit like whack-a-mole. He said the Vice folks continue to shoo them away and are continually trying to catch them actually breaking the law, which isn't easy as it sounds, I guess.

Anyhow, it wasn't the most satisfying response but I was pretty impressed the guy actually took the time during his vac to reach out. He said they hold a monthly community meeting and he'd text me with the info if people want to show up. It sounded like he could arrange to have one of the Vice people come and explain what they've been doing.

Offline francis

• Mayor
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2019, 08:34:40 PM »
So frustrating. The average person can plainly see all the crap that goes on, but with little resolve.  We need more visible and multiple law enforcement agencies. 

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2019, 08:34:40 PM »