Author Topic: Three guys on Roosevelt & 79th St  (Read 2769 times)

Offline thr

• Tourist
Three guys on Roosevelt & 79th St
« on: January 29, 2019, 05:16:11 PM »
I'm just so curious:

For over a year now I've seen three guys standing on the northwest corner of Roosevelt and 79th. Rain or shine. Sometimes one of them gets coffee for the group from the bakery near by. Same three guys, every weekday morning. Not sure about weekends. Never seen them interact with other people, but they seem be watching the street and otherwise minding their own business.

Anyone know what is their deal?

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
Re: Three guys on Roosevelt & 79th St
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2019, 07:19:07 PM »
I've never seen this, but have you thought about going up to them and asking something, like where is the best place to get coffee around here, and see if they are interested in chatting?

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2019, 07:54:40 PM »
"Three Guys on Roosevelt" sounds like a hipster cafe... :)

Offline am315

• Activist
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2019, 09:29:52 AM »
I had heard they were wranglers for local women who offer illegal services.

Just a rumor, though.

Offline 80JHer

• Resident
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2019, 02:07:24 PM »
they are always there, day and night.  always with ear pieces.  has to be prostitution or drugs.  if you stay long enough, you will see a constant flow of men going into the parking lot behind kitchen 79.  its pretty easy detective work, if any one actually cared to police the streets of JH

Offline Di_11372

• Activist
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2019, 08:39:27 PM »
My 1st thought ; soliciting business for brothels......

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2019, 09:02:12 PM »
privately owned parking lot? seize it.

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2019, 09:38:37 PM »
If you're sure it's illegal activity, and it seems like these guys are a constant presence, why not report it to someone at the 115th? Don't we have a community police liaison?

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2019, 10:00:55 PM »
posts like Shelby's make me want a thumbs up option, but since we don't....thumbs up.

Offline Jhx

• Activist
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2019, 09:39:39 AM »
LOL, report it to the 115th....

Offline am315

• Activist
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2019, 09:48:52 AM »
The 115th and many other precincts introduced Neighborhood Coordination Officers who work in specific sectors of the precinct and are responsible for everything that goes on there. That street is in Sector C and officers in charge of it are:

PO Bryan Leibold   Bryan.Leibold@nypd.org
PO Tyler Scala   Tyler.Scala@nypd.org

I'd suggest emailing them. I'll do so and see what happens.

Offline 10turns

• Tourist
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2019, 10:06:36 AM »
They even appear on google earth....
If you use “street view” and look at the corner from different directions.....
there they are...

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2019, 10:34:01 AM »
The 115th and many other precincts introduced Neighborhood Coordination Officers who work in specific sectors of the precinct and are responsible for everything that goes on there. That street is in Sector C and officers in charge of it are:

PO Bryan Leibold   Bryan.Leibold@nypd.org
PO Tyler Scala   Tyler.Scala@nypd.org

I'd suggest emailing them. I'll do so and see what happens.

Thanks. It seems really pointless to be on here complaining about daily illegal activity in the same spot if no attempt has been made to reach out to a community policing officer at the precinct.

If attempts have been made with no response or results, then that's a different story.

Offline thr

• Tourist
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2019, 10:55:57 AM »
Agreed, though I for one didn't mean to come off as complaining, rather just inquiring.

I can't believe they are on Google Earth that is too funny. Truly a landmark, those guys.

Once I walked past them, after a few days of making hard eye contact (stare-down level eye contact) with one of them, and the next morning they saw me coming, lined up, and two of them whispered something like "Boooooooooshhhhhhhhhh" as I walked by. So, they are either soliciting something or they were adding wind sound effects to make me feel like I was walking faster than I was.

Anyway, I only posted this question because I didn't know, like no idea. On its face I too would have *guessed* drugs or prostitution, both of which can be the front for other heinous organized crimes.

I imagined/assumed/willfully misconstrued that NYPD patrols see these guys and know they exist. NYPD CompStat does not seem to distinguish prostitution from other crimes (from what I could tell) but there are very few sex related crimes reported in this area (but it's possible CompStat does not categorize prostitution as a sex related crime). Recall there was a very publicized push to "clean up Roosevelt Avenue" in 2016, and that kinda helped, I guess, at least on the surface.

Offline jhlifer

• Activist
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2019, 12:35:22 PM »
You need to contact the two NYPD officers mentioned above.  Rather you MUST.

EVERYRONE, repeat EVERYONE must email them and call with a complaint

I first complained back in April 2018 to Officer Scala at a Queensboro Housing Association meeting.  The JHBG board of directors has been attempting for months to schedule a meeting with the 115th Precinct s to discuss issues such as this.  No luck thus far.

If you do not complain, and REGULARLY, nothing seems to happen. 

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2019, 12:35:22 PM »