Author Topic: Two Willets Point Proposals  (Read 856 times)

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
Two Willets Point Proposals
« on: January 17, 2019, 06:12:59 PM »
these were released today.

one includes a soccer stadium -- which will probably be paid for by taxpayers, i'd guess -- and one has a lot of residential components.

haven't digested the concepts, really, but it would take a LOT of infrastucture work to make residential use feasible (there's almost no real sewer/water there, among other things).

any thoughts?

https://www.crainsnewyork.com/real-estate/city-releases-two-willets-point-proposals?utm_source=breaking-news&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20190117&utm_content=hero-readmore

Offline JK resident

• Council Member
Re: Two Willets Point Proposals
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2019, 06:21:41 PM »
The city already has installed new sewer and water lines but does not allow existing businesses to hook up to them. I think allowing schools and housing is not a good use of that valuable land next to a new Airtrain. Probably a hotel and soccer stadium would be acceptable. The city will push for housing which needs police,fire and schools. I can’t imagine that.

Offline itsit

• Mayor
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2019, 10:11:21 AM »
 A soccer stadium makes perfect sense there! It is a huge sport among the local population drawing players and fans from a
number of continents. It might just be the thing that provides more unity in our area and could be another wonderful emblem
for what makes Queens great.

And a players academy -the system most countries have that does not use one year and done practice like the NBA and NFL
often does - for young athletes looking to play professionally. Our young soccer players have terrible conditions compared to
other sports in the area. The iron triangle is isolated by highways and the housing needs that would accompany that seem
daunting. Other areas along the water and closer to Flushing hubs seem like a much more feasible location for new homes
with the requisite amenities.

All for the soccer stadium!!

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2019, 10:48:54 AM »
i think it would be the perfect way to use the land -- my only red flag is the potential for corporate welfare, a la the Yankees ripping off the taxpayer for their parking garage ponzi scheme, etc.

Offline abcdefghijk

• Mayor
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2019, 10:56:13 AM »
Since the Citifield stadium is nearby, it does make some sense to have a sports quarter @ Willets Point. Like a soccer stadium.

Offline ShinjukuBaby

• Activist
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2019, 06:23:29 AM »
They should put the soccer stadium on the other side of Citi Field where there is now a vast wasteland of surface parking.

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2019, 11:02:02 PM »
https://qns.com/story/2019/07/03/we-are-the-displaced-people-gates-go-up-closing-off-large-portion-of-willets-point/

‘We are the displaced people’: Gates go up, closing off large portion of Willets Point

Offline JK resident

• Council Member
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2019, 11:51:40 PM »
Hotels next to the stadiums would make sense. I don’t believe this area should be used for housing.

Offline Chingwa

• Activist
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2019, 12:02:37 AM »
I wouldn't be surprised if that area were turned into a superfund site.  Is it even appropriate for housing of any kind?

Offline StevenGrey

• Council Member
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2019, 08:28:36 AM »
They should put the soccer stadium on the other side of Citi Field where there is now a vast wasteland of surface parking.

That "wasteland" of parking SHOULD be converted back to its original use and be made a part of Flushing Meadows-Corona Park once more. Especially given all the parkland that was ceded to the USTA facilities.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2019, 08:28:36 AM »