Author Topic: Congestion Pricing  (Read 2105 times)

Offline abcdefghijk

• Mayor
Re: Congestion Pricing
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2019, 05:33:32 PM »
It's a generational thing.  Many older people who were brought up in the Robert Moses car-centric era resent bikes and bike lanes and alternate modes of transport.

But the future is for bikes and bike lanes and greener modes of transport.

That's a fact.

You must be young. You think things and people change for the better.

I don't see plans for better transportation. I see plans to give a billionaire another billion dollars.

The beauty of being young is that you can still dream.

And on this MLK Day, we all have learned that only with a dream, do you have a chance.

Offline jh35

• Council Member
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2019, 06:39:06 PM »
I am a millenial. Despite your ageist  remarks, what i am against is when bikers think they are infallible when in fact, i see them texting while riding/ breaking traffic rules and causing near accidents MORE OFTEN than vehicles. I am PRO alternate transportation resources, but very much against bikers who disregard the rules of the road (including red lights and stop signs).

Let's have all bicycles pay to register annually to the city to have their wheels on the road, that will raise more money. And let's get them more tickets when they run red lights and break rules, that's a great idea.

ageist   LOL

Offline jh35

• Council Member
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2019, 08:57:53 PM »

I received this notice from CURB about congestion pricing.

Congestion Surcharge

As of this past weekend, the State of New York requires that transportation providers charge passengers a congestion surcharge for all trips in taxis, liveries, black cars and other for-hire vehicles that begin, end or pass through the borough of Manhattan below 96th street, including both individual and shared rides arranged via mobile apps like Curb®, Uber, Lyft, etc..

As a result, Curb’s transportation provider partners are required to add the applicable congestion surcharge to the fare you’re charged for each qualifying trip.

The amount of the congestion surcharge is:

- $2.50 for each qualifying trip in a yellow taxi
- $2.75 for each qualifying trip in a green taxi
- $2.75 for each qualifying trip in a livery or black car (i.e., Uber, Lyft., etc.)

If you request a shared ride by using the Curb Share™ function in the Curb® app, you’ll get a $0.75 reduction of the applicable surcharge, regardless of whether you’re matched with another rider. Details on how to use Curb Share™ can be found below.

Offline Chingwa

• Activist
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2019, 10:41:00 PM »
Nothing but a money grab in the most overtaxed state in the country.  What is the alternative to taking taxi or Uber?  The subways are worse than ever.  I guess I could drive my own car into the city to avoid the surcharge... :D

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2019, 10:45:04 PM »
they need to address that. private cars are a huge part of the problem.

Offline hagsrus

• Activist
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2019, 11:57:55 PM »
Would driving your own car to avoid the surcharge be cost effective, what with gas, parking, etc?

Offline Chingwa

• Activist
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2019, 01:39:06 AM »
They don't have a mechansim for taxing private cars... other than tollbooths perhaps which is only effective on the cars coming into the borough. and I agree if congestion is the problem then they are certainly a large part of it, if not the minor minority.  So this isn't really addressing the problem.  Actually it seems like it's penalizing people who don't have cars which is pretty unfair to be honest.

Again, just sounds like a money grab.

Offline deja

• Council Member
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2019, 01:43:37 AM »
They don't have a mechansim for taxing private cars... other than tollbooths perhaps which is only effective on the cars coming into the borough. and I agree if congestion is the problem then they are certainly a large part of it, if not the minor minority.  So this isn't really addressing the problem.  Actually it seems like it's penalizing people who don't have cars which is pretty unfair to be honest.

Again, just sounds like a money grab.

They do, actually.  The new tolling systems can be set up anywhere, at an intersection for example.

Offline toddg

• Mayor
  • Lived here since: 2002
« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2019, 08:05:10 AM »
This surcharge was the first step in implementing a comprehensive congestion pricing plan (https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/31/nyregion/uber-taxi-lyft-fee.html).  The legislature adopted it on a bipartisan basis last year.  Yes, it is a money grab, if that's what you call raising revenues to fund public transit.

The next step of the congestion charge will likely be a once-a-day charge for entering Manhattan below 60th Street - basically tolls on the free bridges and on the Avenues at 60th Street.  In many of the proposals that have been circulating, cars that cross the boundary multiple times will be charged once (but the exact details have not yet been determined).  Since taxis make many trips each day, they were broken out of that part of the plan and given a separate per-trip charge.   Their "congestion zone" is also larger -- extending up to 96th Street.

Offline jh35

• Council Member
« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2019, 08:27:59 AM »
This surcharge was the first step in implementing a comprehensive congestion pricing plan (https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/31/nyregion/uber-taxi-lyft-fee.html).  The legislature adopted it on a bipartisan basis last year.  Yes, it is a money grab, if that's what you call raising revenues to fund public transit.

The next step of the congestion charge will likely be a once-a-day charge for entering Manhattan below 60th Street - basically tolls on the free bridges and on the Avenues at 60th Street.  In many of the proposals that have been circulating, cars that cross the boundary multiple times will be charged once (but the exact details have not yet been determined).  Since taxis make many trips each day, they were broken out of that part of the plan and given a separate per-trip charge.   Their "congestion zone" is also larger -- extending up to 96th Street.

Will there be a congestion charge for the Jeff Bezos helipad in LIC that we will be building him?

I wonder why green cabs are being charged more.

Offline toddg

• Mayor
  • Lived here since: 2002
« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2019, 12:26:07 PM »
I think the smart bet would be on "there will be no helipad."

Green cabs would only be charged more for trips into Manhattan below 96th Street.

Offline Chingwa

• Activist
« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2019, 01:05:59 PM »
Only below 96th st.  is the vast majority of what people go into Manhattan for.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2019, 01:05:59 PM »