Author Topic: Congestion Pricing  (Read 2104 times)

Offline JHMNY

• Global Moderator
  • Council Member
Congestion Pricing
« on: January 17, 2019, 11:09:11 AM »
From the Jackson Heights Post:

Transportation Lobby Group Calls on Legislature to Pass Congestion Pricing, Says It Will Reduce Northern Blvd Traffic

A local advocacy group is holding a rally next week on Northern Boulevard to announce its support for congestion pricing.

Make Queens Safer, a group that advocates for roadway safety, is calling on the state legislature to back congestion pricing arguing that it will help reduce traffic on Northern Boulevard and thereby deaths.

The group says that many drivers use Northern Boulevard in order to get to Manhattan via the toll-free crossing at the Queensboro Bridge—as opposed to using other East River crossings since they have tolls.

The group argues that with congestion pricing all drivers would have to pay to go into Manhattan south of 60th Street, making the Northern Boulevard corridor less advantageous and therefore less trafficked.

Drivers who use the MTA-tolled access points—such as the Queens-Midown tunnel– would be credited upon going below 60th Street providing price equity. Governor Andrew Cuomo, in his state of the state speech on Tuesday, called on the legislature to pass the plan.

The rally, which will take place on Jan. 24 at 8:15 a.m., will be held at 80th Street and Northern Boulevard, where Miguel Torres, an 11-year-old boy, was fatally struck by a dump truck on his way to school at I.S. 145 school in December 2012.

Offline jh35

• Council Member
Re: Congestion Pricing
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2019, 11:39:36 AM »

Transportation Lobby Group Calls on Legislature to Pass Congestion Pricing, Says It Will Reduce Northern Blvd Traffic

A local advocacy group is holding a rally next week on Northern Boulevard to announce its support for congestion pricing.

Make Queens Safer, a group that advocates for roadway safety, is calling on the state legislature to back congestion pricing arguing that it will help reduce traffic on Northern Boulevard and thereby deaths.

The group says that many drivers use Northern Boulevard in order to get to Manhattan via the toll-free crossing at the Queensboro Bridge—as opposed to using other East River crossings since they have tolls.

The group argues that with congestion pricing all drivers would have to pay to go into Manhattan south of 60th Street, making the Northern Boulevard corridor less advantageous and therefore less trafficked.

Drivers who use the MTA-tolled access points—such as the Queens-Midown tunnel– would be credited upon going below 60th Street providing price equity. Governor Andrew Cuomo, in his state of the state speech on Tuesday, called on the legislature to pass the plan.

The rally, which will take place on Jan. 24 at 8:15 a.m., will be held at 80th Street and Northern Boulevard, where Miguel Torres, an 11-year-old boy, was fatally struck by a dump truck on his way to school at I.S. 145 school in December 2012.

\\

Wouldn't it be simpler to put a toll on the 59th street bridge?

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2019, 11:40:43 AM »
it's worked in other places, and it didn't end civilization in those places. i'm a non-driver, so my two cents may not be worth two cents, but i think it's reasonable. it's not terribly regressive (very few very poor people drive around ny) and it could be tweaked to accommodate professional drivers.

remember, the smoking ban was going to force 33 percent of all bars in nyc to shutter permanently if put into place....

Offline JK resident

• Council Member
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2019, 12:08:07 PM »
There are very few poor people driving cars? There are a lot of people in JH that have cars that are worth less than $3000. Having a car is a very real need for many elderly and disabled people. These people can’t use mass transit because most stops are not ADA. Congestion pricing would just prevent these people having access to the best hospitals in the national unless you pay the tax. Sounds unfair to me.

Offline Alfster

• Activist
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2019, 12:13:39 PM »
There are very few poor people driving cars? There are a lot of people in JH that have cars that are worth less than $3000. Having a car is a very real need for many elderly and disabled people. These people can’t use mass transit because most stops are not ADA. Congestion pricing would just prevent these people having access to the best hospitals in the national unless you pay the tax. Sounds unfair to me.

I agree.  Congestion Pricing is a horrible idea.  Many causes of congestion are the existence of bike lanes that are unoccupied for what appears to be over 80% of the time and serve little more than to take away a lane of traffic from other motorized vehicles.  "Congestion Pricing" is just a cash grab by the city upon the already heavily taxed driver.

Online lalochezia

• Mayor
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2019, 01:54:33 PM »
  Many causes of congestion are the existence of bike lanes that are unoccupied for what appears to be over 80% of the time and serve little more than to take away a lane of traffic from other motorized vehicles. 

Other "causes of congestion" include sidewalks, apartments, houses and parks. There are potential lanes for cars there! Get rid of them all!

Note: building more lanes for private automobile traffic does very little to solve congestion in anything other than the shortest of short terms. Traffic flows expand to the space given to it. You have to dis-incentivize car use, and incentivize other travel modes otherwise we are on a one-way ticket to gridlock (in cities) and climate-change induced ecocide (everywhere).

Offline Alfster

• Activist
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2019, 02:20:25 PM »
  Many causes of congestion are the existence of bike lanes that are unoccupied for what appears to be over 80% of the time and serve little more than to take away a lane of traffic from other motorized vehicles. 

Other "causes of congestion" include sidewalks, apartments, houses and parks. There are potential lanes for cars there! Get rid of them all!

Note: building more lanes for private automobile traffic does very little to solve congestion in anything other than the shortest of short terms. Traffic flows expand to the space given to it. You have to dis-incentivize car use, and incentivize other travel modes otherwise we are on a one-way ticket to gridlock (in cities) and climate-change induced ecocide (everywhere).

LOL.  If we as a society are to to dis-incentivize private car use then more needs to be done to increase public transportation.  There are far too many "public transit deserts" in NYC that need to be improved.  Oh, what a shame it costs so much to build a monorail system?   :'(

Offline JK resident

• Council Member
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2019, 03:41:44 PM »
I’m with Whoopi 100%! I thought I would never say that. NYC will never be Amsterdam. Now with the snow storm sanitation can’t clean as quickly with all these concrete islands in the middle of the road. Also most air pollution in NYC is caused by big buildings burning heating oil winter and summer. Cars are actually very clean. Diesel trucks and buses also pollute much more than thousands of cars. Modern car engines are just that efficient.

https://nypost.com/2019/01/17/whoopi-goldberg-still-pissed-over-nyc-bike-lanes/?utm_campaign=iosapp&utm_source=pasteboard_app

Offline jaxheightzforall

• Tourist
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2019, 06:31:20 PM »

I agree.  Congestion Pricing is a horrible idea.  Many causes of congestion are the existence of bike lanes that are unoccupied for what appears to be over 80% of the time and serve little more than to take away a lane of traffic from other motorized vehicles.  "Congestion Pricing" is just a cash grab by the city upon the already heavily taxed driver.

Alfster you hit the nail on the head!!! I have never seen such poor use of logic and money turning so many roads across Queens (and around the city) into single lane traffic because of bike lanes. Bicycle lanes are not used in inclement weather or winter (several months of the year). It is a terrible waste of resources for the advantage of very few people.

I won't comment on how many bicyclists I see running red lights/ violating traffic laws every single day and causing accidents or near serious accidents as that is an entirely different topic.

I firmly disagree with congestion pricing. Congestion pricing will be most heavily felt by small business owners who DO NOT HAVE A CHOICE or option to avoid driving into Manhattan. I must comment that Commercial parking fees in the city have increased from $16 for 3 hours to $22 hours. And guess what, NO ONE ever comments about it. However, if the MTA dares to increase a small amount everyone is up in arms. People who are supporting congestion pricing are HURTING small businesses (unless necessary provisions are made for commercial vehicles).

As someone who drives into the city every single day, I am under no illusion that adding a toll to the 59th street bridge is going to reduce and/or stop traffic on Northern Boulevard. Do the people organizing this misguided rally actually drive across the 59th street bridge or the midtown tunnel or the JFK bridge as part of their daily lives? Guess what, all of them are completely congested. This is not the solution they are looking for to achieve their goal.

Offline Olivesta

• Resident
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2019, 06:54:30 PM »
Congestion charging has been in place in London for about 15 years now and after operating costs it raises around 172 million pounds a year which has to be invested in transport. It reduced car use by 10%. Oh and disabled people are exempt from the charge. At first there was a huge outcry but people accepted it and now it’s seen as a necessary part of city life. Something has to be done about that transport in New York so I say bring it on.

Offline jh35

• Council Member
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2019, 07:40:23 PM »
Congestion charging has been in place in London for about 15 years now and after operating costs it raises around 172 million pounds a year which has to be invested in transport. It reduced car use by 10%. Oh and disabled people are exempt from the charge. At first there was a huge outcry but people accepted it and now it’s seen as a necessary part of city life. Something has to be done about that transport in New York so I say bring it on.

Since, except for the 59th street bridge and a couple of tiny bridges in the Bronx, people are pay tolls to enter Manhattan, aren't they already paying congestion pricing?

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2019, 07:48:03 PM »
there are no tolls on the Brooklyn, Manhattan or Williamsburg bridges.

Offline jh35

• Council Member
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2019, 07:54:12 PM »
there are no tolls on the Brooklyn, Manhattan or Williamsburg bridges.
oh, duh

Offline hfm

• Mayor
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2019, 08:04:36 PM »

\\

Please no.. toll booths bottleneck traffic.

Offline jh35

• Council Member
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2019, 08:08:19 PM »

\\

Please no.. toll booths bottleneck traffic.

Even with EZ-pass where you just drive over a sensor?

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2019, 08:08:19 PM »