Author Topic: Favorite bread in the neighborhood  (Read 1869 times)

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
Favorite bread in the neighborhood
« on: January 10, 2019, 11:11:35 PM »
Besides the fresh bread I've bought at Cannelle and the greenmarket, I've just discovered a new favorite loaf. It's a seed and grain bread from the health food market. The label shows it comes from New Warsaw Bakery in Middle Village.

Anyone have other favorites?

Offline N00b

• Citizen
Re: Favorite bread in the neighborhood
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2019, 09:57:44 AM »
Almojabanas from Seba Seba

Offline Ed

• Mayor
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2019, 12:33:23 PM »
Check out littlewildbranchbakery.com. Kim sells bread at The Queensboro, I've had a couple of sourdoughs and a chocolate babka. All have been absolutely great.

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2019, 01:08:33 PM »
Appetito, which is closing as soon as the owner (the blonde lady who's always there) can sell it, has some good ryes and coarse breads. Variety, up on Northern and 81st (80th?) has a decent Italian loaf, but I'd love a warm, out of the oven, hero some days.

Offline carrefour_ny

• Mayor
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2019, 04:53:52 PM »
Lemon Farm carries (though somewhat irregularly these days) French and Italian style breads that I like.

Thanks for mentioning Little Wildbranch -- is it only available through the CSA or can I just one loaf ad hoc?

Offline Ed

• Mayor
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2019, 01:57:52 AM »
Lemon Farm carries (though somewhat irregularly these days) French and Italian style breads that I like.

Thanks for mentioning Little Wildbranch -- is it only available through the CSA or can I just one loaf ad hoc?
Nope, she sells loaves at the Queensboro on the days listed on the website. You can reserve one or just show up and see if there's anything that hasn't been spoken for.

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2019, 08:27:25 PM »

Nope, she sells loaves at the Queensboro on the days listed on the website. You can reserve one or just show up and see if there's anything that hasn't been spoken for.

Thanks for posting about Little Wildbranch. I started following her on instagram and this is what was posted today.

Offline jeanette

• Mayor
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2019, 11:09:43 PM »
Perchance is wildbranchbakery posting here two years ago as JA?

would anybody be interested in buying homemade loaves? I used to bake several loaves a week but most of it went to waste. Typically I do french baguettes, pretzel rolls, or seeded rye. I also have a sourdough starter that I tap into for special occasions, though my loaves from that are not as consistent.

Offline jeanette

• Mayor
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2019, 10:16:55 AM »

would anybody be interested in buying homemade loaves? I used to bake several loaves a week but most of it went to waste. Typically I do french baguettes, pretzel rolls, or seeded rye. I also have a sourdough starter that I tap into for special occasions, though my loaves from that are not as consistent.

I ask because I dearly miss an olive bread--soft, moist, an olive in every bite--that I used to purchase at Downtown Natural. (The line also had a pretzel roll.) It's been many months now that I can no longer find it or anything similar, anywhere.

Thank you, Shelby2, for starting this thread.

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2019, 10:24:31 AM »
that sounds wonderful ... i would happily buy seeded rye. fresh rye bread always reminds me of my childhood :)

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2019, 11:28:11 AM »

I ask because I dearly miss an olive bread--soft, moist, an olive in every bite--that I used to purchase at Downtown Natural. (The line also had a pretzel roll.) It's been many months now that I can no longer find it or anything similar, anywhere.

Thank you, Shelby2, for starting this thread.

I don't think it's the same person. Why not try sending JA a personal message and see if he/she responds.

Offline missmarty

• Council Member
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2019, 05:35:00 PM »
We have a very traditional Italian bread bakery on 90th. I can't think of the name, but it's just north of Roosevelt on east side of 90th.
Really good italian bread, rolls and the like.
I'm mad about biscotti and italian cookies. I have a collection of bakery business cards, and they are on top of those traditional biscuits.

Offline the80s

• Activist
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2019, 02:10:02 AM »
We have a very traditional Italian bread bakery on 90th. I can't think of the name, but it's just north of Roosevelt on east side of 90th.
Really good italian bread, rolls and the like.
I'm mad about biscotti and italian cookies. I have a collection of bakery business cards, and they are on top of those traditional biscuits.

Buzzanca! 90th just north of Roosevelt.

I love that place. Popular, friendly, very well-priced and tasty breads and rolls. Nothing fancy but I really enjoy the Italian bakery staples.

Offline Kim Joseph

• Tourist
    • Little Wildbranch Bakery
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2019, 10:51:39 PM »
Hello! Kim Joseph here!
Many thanks to Ed and Shelby for the shout outs!
If anyone is looking for fresh sourdough bread, I'm your bread woman!
Every week I bake 2 types of bread- plain multigrain and baker's choice (flavors according to whats in season and where my creativity takes me). I tend to lean more towards ancient grains and whole grains, so here is where you will find nourishing hearty whole grain crusty loaves, all baked after hours in the pizza oven at The Queensboro!
I am at the Queensboro on Thursday evenings from 5-8 pm for bread pick ups. Most of the bread is by order to avoid waste, but I do try to bake extras, which go quickly.
I take orders weekly until 5 pm on Tuesdays, because that is when I make the dough.
You can find my weekly bread and most up to date info on Instagram and Fb, and of course my website at https://www.littlewildbranchbakery.com/
You may also text me your orders at 347 553-7708
Wishing everyone a lovely weekend.
Warmly,
Kim Joseph

Offline itsit

• Council Member
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2019, 05:04:28 PM »
 Kims bread is delicious. Sourdough stays fresh for so long and toasts very well. She adds interesting ingredients too if you
like variations and we have felt much healthier since eating her breads gut wise.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2019, 05:04:28 PM »