Author Topic: Retired or Near Retirement?  (Read 601 times)

Offline JHALUM

• Resident
Retired or Near Retirement?
« on: January 04, 2019, 11:06:09 PM »
Financially I feel very close to retirement but I want to make sure I don't pull the plug too early and get bored.  I am closing in on 61 and want to scale back since I have been a department head in Financial Services for over 20 years and I want less stress and more time to myself.  Is there anyone else who is retired or nearing retirement and can share there experiences or their fears/expectations about retirement?  I moved from JH to Bayside  several years ago because commuting on public transportation to our jobs in Eastern Queens/LI  was not easy  from JH because of parking.  I love both Bayside and JH ( frequent it often) but I am not sure I will stay in NYC forever because of the taxes.  Would love to hear your thoughts/experiences.

Offline petegart

• Activist
Re: Retired or Near Retirement?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2019, 07:34:08 PM »
It’s too bad that this thread did have any replies.  I am In a similar situation, because at 59.5 I stopped working, and decided to try retirement. 
There are so many variables, so there is not one answer that will work for everyone, but I am planning on living on about 85% of my last salary, and as the years go on I will eventually start to collect SS. 

Offline fodoherty

• Activist
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2019, 01:25:49 PM »
I retired last year and love it.  I am very active with the Jackson Heights Beautification Group, local schools and in local politics, so I am still very busy.  Less money, but more control over my day

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2019, 01:25:49 PM »