Author Topic: Consider ditching your car-  (Read 2501 times)

Offline hum@njukebox1

• Activist
Re: Consider ditching your car-
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2019, 12:08:14 PM »
I'm too old to remember!!!  But, I do recall my mom buying bread at the day-old bread place......4 loaves for a dollar.  We were a little taken aback when that changed to 3 loaves for a dollar.

(I'm not really ALL that old.....I'm still in my 50's.)

Offline deja

• Council Member
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2019, 02:19:13 PM »
In 1965 gas was, on average, $0.31 a gallon.  Adjusting for inflation, that would be $2.47 a gallon. 

Offline missmarty

• Council Member
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2019, 10:35:42 PM »
Of the car owners who seldom drive-are you paying for parking, have a parking spot at home or using the parking lane, the curb storage for weeks on end? Looking at those parking spots and thinking of how some could be loading zones, and the rest could have higher meter costs (they did just go up) just really irks me.
I also noticed that DOT is hiring 2 or three different parking analyst positions. Maybe they are rethinking parking? That would be great.
There are some good suggestions in these comments.

Offline hfm

• Mayor
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2019, 11:30:37 PM »
Of the car owners who seldom drive-are you paying for parking, have a parking spot at home or using the parking lane, the curb storage for weeks on end? Looking at those parking spots and thinking of how some could be loading zones, and the rest could have higher meter costs (they did just go up) just really irks me.
I also noticed that DOT is hiring 2 or three different parking analyst positions. Maybe they are rethinking parking? That would be great.
There are some good suggestions in these comments.

garage

Offline deja

• Council Member
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2019, 02:43:19 AM »
garage

Offline Chingwa

• Activist
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2019, 12:14:51 PM »
I think the greater burden should be on drivers, esp in largely pedestrian areas like ours.
Cars and drivers already do carry the greater burden, encoded in traffic enforcement laws and penalties which are of much higher consequence to drivers than to pedestrians, let alone the common natural realization that you are propelling a huge metal object down the street.  For most drivers that is a responsibility that is taken seriously.  It never sounds fair to blame the victim, especially in something as tragic as a car/pedestrian fatality, HOWEVER if you honestly want to fix a situation like this then you need to be realistic that this a two-sided problem.

By and large cars follow the traffic rules set out before them.  How often do you see a car stop at a red light and then just carry on through blatantly breaking the law?  It is rare.  How many times do you see pedestrians in this city cross the street against the light?  Or bikes not even slow down as they cross an intersection?  Traffic laws are there for everybody's safety and especially there for those who seemingly disregard those laws the most.

I can't tell you how many times I've saved a pedestrian or biker's life because I am driving and paying attention, while they are completely oblivious to what's around them and not following expected traffic rules.

Sometimes I take the subway and walk.  Sometimes I drive a car.  When I drive I do it for a reason, I'm not going to ditch my car just because there are some reckless drivers and pedestrians out there.

Offline lalochezia

• Mayor
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2019, 04:40:15 PM »
I think the greater burden should be on drivers, esp in largely pedestrian areas like ours.
Cars and drivers already do carry the greater burden, encoded in traffic enforcement laws and penalties which are of much higher consequence to drivers than to pedestrians, let alone the common natural realization that you are propelling a huge metal object down the street.  For most drivers that is a responsibility that is taken seriously.  It never sounds fair to blame the victim, especially in something as tragic as a car/pedestrian fatality, HOWEVER if you honestly want to fix a situation like this then you need to be realistic that this a two-sided problem.

By and large cars follow the traffic rules set out before them.  How often do you see a car stop at a red light and then just carry on through blatantly breaking the law?  It is rare.  How many times do you see pedestrians in this city cross the street against the light?  Or bikes not even slow down as they cross an intersection?  Traffic laws are there for everybody's safety and especially there for those who seemingly disregard those laws the most.

I can't tell you how many times I've saved a pedestrian or biker's life because I am driving and paying attention, while they are completely oblivious to what's around them and not following expected traffic rules.

Sometimes I take the subway and walk.  Sometimes I drive a car.  When I drive I do it for a reason, I'm not going to ditch my car just because there are some reckless drivers and pedestrians out there.

HAHAHAHAHAH

"Cars and drivers already do carry the greater burden, encoded in traffic enforcement laws and penalties which are of much higher consequence to drivers than to pedestrians"

How many people have been killed or maimed by cars and got ZERO jail time in NYC alone in the last 5 years. Show me the stats of these "great consequences" in the USA.

How many car drivers have been killed by pedestrians? I await your count.

Car (and other road) drivers are driving a 2-ton+ piece of metal which can kill and maim 1,10, 100 people if driven incorrectly. Pedestrians are exerting their natural human right to walk upon the earth UNKILLED AND UNHURT. These two rights and positions are not equivalent.

The verbosity of your long "bu bu buut boooth sides manaan" defense of a car culture which kills people (and, incidentally the planet, your children and grandchildrens future!) is only exceeded by its inanity.

Offline Chingwa

• Activist
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2019, 05:20:14 PM »
Pedestrians are not free to walk anywhere they choose, they are party to the rules of the road when they use/cross a road.  That's why they are called pedestrians.  They have responsibility for the safety of themselves and those around them just like cars.  It's rather silly to suggest otherwise.

Also, I wasn't being overly verbose, I said enough to illustrate my point.  But if that was too many sentences I'll just end this post here and say good luck to you in your fantasy world without cars.

Offline deja

• Council Member
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2019, 10:04:59 PM »
As usual, lalochezia has his/her/its panties in a knot.

Offline CaptainFlannel

• Mayor
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2019, 04:57:53 PM »
How many people have been killed or maimed by cars and got ZERO jail time in NYC alone in the last 5 years.

I can't speak for those maimed by cars, but I can confidently say that of those who were killed by cars, 100% of them got zero jail time.

Offline Minimal4me

• Council Member
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2019, 10:23:01 PM »
I'm a bicyclist, and yet I also need my car. Two days a week I have to work in Westchester. Train is 2 hours and car is 45-60 min. Summers I weekend on the Northfork and I'm not giving that up. I chose Jackson Heights as my place to live, because I found a building that has parking. Upshot: I'm not giving up my car. And in point of fact, my fellow car owners in the garage are not all American-born - we're all walks of life. I love and respect my bike lanes, but I'm not giving up my car. Stop trying to police the world. Urge people caution, pedestrians have the right of way, and to follow the law.

Online itsit

• Mayor
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2019, 07:23:28 AM »
 Yes, my family members bike, walk and drive. And we possibly could get by without the car but it would be a loss of income
and job opportunities and safety. If you are a female working late night hours in areas where there is transit but its not well
utilized, you could do it (give up your car) but you might have stress related issues...but I'd rather see people get much
smaller cars. I am seeing lots more mini coopers here in JH but the SUVs still keep coming. Smaller cars please if you are
getting one.
   This seems like a more realistic ask initially.

Offline JHResident

• Citizen
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2019, 09:30:11 AM »
A common theme from many is the lack of enforcement for existing traffic regulations. How about it, 115 Precinct?  How come you allow jaywalking, delivery bikes going the wrong way on our one way streets, cars not yielding to pedestrians, rampant double parking, red light abuses by all forms of traffic?

Offline CaptainFlannel

• Mayor
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2019, 06:38:17 PM »
How come you allow jaywalking, delivery bikes going the wrong way on our one way streets, cars not yielding to pedestrians, rampant double parking, red light abuses by all forms of traffic?

I'd guess it has to do with limited resources. NYPD could put a cop on every street corner, if there was enough money.

Offline lalochezia

• Mayor

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2019, 10:51:43 AM »