Author Topic: Jackson Heights Documentary  (Read 828 times)

Offline msvaleriaangel

• Tourist
Jackson Heights Documentary
« on: January 02, 2019, 12:48:40 PM »
Hi Neighbors,

Happy 2019!

I'm so happy to be part of this forum and get to know my community better! I'm so inspired by the way our neighborhood is changing that this year I set out to document it. This is not a sponsorship, I'd simply love to connect with you all here and hear any thoughts that you may have!

I am a filmmaker, currently working on a documentary about Jackson Heights and I created an Instagram page as a way to further connect with the community and with people who may be interested on our neighborhood https://www.instagram.com/jackson.heights/ I will be sharing pictures taken by me and by you if you'd like to participate. If you have any thoughts/comments about the documentary, feel free to reach out! I'd love to share more about it here too!

All the best,
Val
Instagram: @jackson.heights
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 12:55:17 PM by msvaleriaangel »

Offline hfm

• Mayor
Re: Jackson Heights Documentary
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2019, 07:47:40 AM »
Hi Neighbors,

Happy 2019!

I'm so happy to be part of this forum and get to know my community better! I'm so inspired by the way our neighborhood is changing that this year I set out to document it. This is not a sponsorship, I'd simply love to connect with you all here and hear any thoughts that you may have!

I am a filmmaker, currently working on a documentary about Jackson Heights and I created an Instagram page as a way to further connect with the community and with people who may be interested on our neighborhood https://www.instagram.com/jackson.heights/ I will be sharing pictures taken by me and by you if you'd like to participate. If you have any thoughts/comments about the documentary, feel free to reach out! I'd love to share more about it here too!

All the best,
Val
Instagram: @jackson.heights

Have you seen https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4936064/ ?

Offline itsit

• Council Member
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2019, 10:33:08 AM »
 My thoughts too. Look at the documentary which in the opinion of some in the neighborhood leaves alot to be desired so if
your film wants to go a different direction, there is certainly a lot of material here. It might help to give something of a pitch
on your point of view about Jackson Heights also.

Online earbears

• Mayor
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2019, 12:01:25 PM »
Please explain what are you interested in about Jackson Heights.

I think that many of us are concerned because there have been documentaries which frankly do not show this area in a positive light. Having lived here for a long time, I do not want my neighborhood shown in a negative or unattractive way.

Offline msvaleriaangel

• Tourist
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2019, 02:22:00 PM »

Have you seen https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4936064/ ?

Hi! Yes, I have seen it. I have been researching anything and everything that has been documented about Jackson Heigths. I'm currently reading Daniel's book too. I'm definitely looking to do something very different to "In Jackson Heights". I will share more about my ideas below so I can respond to the other posts as well.

Thank you for sharing it!
Val

Offline msvaleriaangel

• Tourist
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2019, 02:27:25 PM »
My thoughts too. Look at the documentary which in the opinion of some in the neighborhood leaves alot to be desired so if
your film wants to go a different direction, there is certainly a lot of material here. It might help to give something of a pitch
on your point of view about Jackson Heights also.

Hi, I agree. That documentary was more of an observational piece and indeed it leaves a lot open to be desired. I've been a resident of Jackson Heights for 5 years but I've frequented the neighborhood for 10+ years. My main reason to document Jackson Heights is because, as I've discovered it myself, I've noticed that it is a wonderful neighborhood that is not know for the right reasons and I would like to change that. I think it has so much potential and it is already a fantastic place to live, but many people don't know about it or they've only heard part of its story. I'm more than happy to share with you my documentary proposal so you get a better sense of what the documentary aims to do. Let me know if you're interested! :)

Thank you for sharing your thoughts!
Val

Offline msvaleriaangel

• Tourist
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2019, 02:35:19 PM »
Please explain what are you interested in about Jackson Heights.

I think that many of us are concerned because there have been documentaries which frankly do not show this area in a positive light. Having lived here for a long time, I do not want my neighborhood shown in a negative or unattractive way.

Hi!

Absolutely and rightly so! This is exactly why I set out to document Jackson Heights, because I think part of its story (a really big, interesting part) has been left out and if people know about the neighborhood they mostly know it for negative reasons. But, they are missing out on all the wonderful things that it has always had and it has continued to develop. I've been a resident of Jackson Heights for 5 years but I've frequented the neighborhood for 10+ years. I'm more than happy to share with you my documentary proposal so you get a better sense of what the documentary aims to do. Let me know if you're interested!

Offline Matt

• Council Member
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2019, 07:59:10 PM »
I still don't understand why people in our neighborhood disliked, "In Jackson Heights". I thought it was a really great portrait of our neighborhood in that moment in time. Yes, it showed the grit and grime under the 7 train along Roosevelt Ave, but in contrast to the more verdant historic district. These contrasts are what make our neighborhood a fascinating place to live.

I think a film that went out of its way to paint JH in only a positive light would be pretty dull and unrealistic. That's not to say that is what I think you are doing, Val.

Offline msvaleriaangel

• Tourist
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2019, 09:11:54 PM »
I still don't understand why people in our neighborhood disliked, "In Jackson Heights". I thought it was a really great portrait of our neighborhood in that moment in time. Yes, it showed the grit and grime under the 7 train along Roosevelt Ave, but in contrast to the more verdant historic district. These contrasts are what make our neighborhood a fascinating place to live.

I think a film that went out of its way to paint JH in only a positive light would be pretty dull and unrealistic. That's not to say that is what I think you are doing, Val.

Hi Matt! Thank you for sharing your thoughts! :) I think that it's important to show the whole picture, but there is nothing wrong with focusing on the positive rather than the negative. I intend to document the good and the not so good, but I do want to focus on all the positive and new things happening in our neighborhood. As I think it hasn't been documented properly before.

Offline Matt

• Council Member
« Reply #9 on: Yesterday at 10:59:51 PM »
I wasn't suggesting that "In Jackson Heights" was negative as I actually thought it was very positive. It was realistic as it showed the many different communities that make up our neighborhood. Although we all live more or less harmoniously here, too often we stay within whatever groups we align ourselves with. It showed many things in the neighborhood that I had never seen before. I really enjoyed that film as did my non-JH friends I went with.

What are some of the new things that you are interested in documenting that you don't feel have been in the past? The Travers Park renovation is the change I'm most excited about! I'll definitely use the park more than I currently do. Despite my excitement for that change, it is really the people and places that have been here longer than the 10+ years I've lived in the neighborhood that make me love JH!

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #9 on: Yesterday at 10:59:51 PM »