Author Topic: Pedestrian hit on 37th Ave  (Read 2134 times)

Offline abcdefghijk

• Mayor
Re: Pedestrian hit on 37th Ave
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2019, 09:11:53 PM »
https://youtu.be/ZORzsubQA_M

Superblocks in Barcelona are the answer. Jackson Heights would be perfect for them. But it might take 25 years (the passing of the older generation who are in love with cars) before Americans might be ready for Superblocks.

Offline jh35

• Activist
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2019, 09:50:57 AM »

Superblocks in Barcelona are the answer. Jackson Heights would be perfect for them. But it might take 25 years (the passing of the older generation who are in love with cars) before Americans might be ready for Superblocks.

This is an excellent idea for this neighborhood. We would need a significant amount of municipal or cheap parking. I do not see that happening. (the parking)

Remember what happened when they tried to change Roosevelt Avenue recently. That was a much simpler idea.

Offline abcdefghijk

• Mayor
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2019, 11:16:04 AM »

This is an excellent idea for this neighborhood. We would need a significant amount of municipal or cheap parking. I do not see that happening. (the parking)

Remember what happened when they tried to change Roosevelt Avenue recently. That was a much simpler idea.

Yep, that's why I said we'll have to wait 25 years for this. Until self-driving cars/technology causes a revolution in car usage.

Offline 80JHer

• Resident
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2019, 12:33:34 PM »
we don't have to re-invent the wheel.  lets just actually police the area. 

We have a community with over 100K tax paying residents and zero police presence.

people drive like lunatics on 37th ave because it constantly filled with double parked cars.  driver misses a few light (because traffic is backed up from double parker), they get pissed and gun it to make up time = accidents and near misses.

start policing our streets!

has anyone ever seen a car actually pulled over in JH?  ever? 

Offline wlirfan

• Activist
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2019, 01:52:07 PM »
As a driver, pedestrian and resident, I disagree with turning 37th Ave. into a pedestrian mall.  All that would do is cause trucks and people to double-park on the streets and avenues abutting 37th, which will make the quality of life worse.

Things I hate as a driver - as was said before, people honking me when they can clearly see that there are pedestrians in the cross-walk, or when they can clearly see that cars are coming and I'm not able to turn left.  And double-parked cars.  Double-parked trucks are worse because getting past them is impossible and dangerous.  Finally, pedestrians that look at their phones instead of the traffic signal.  GET OFF YOUR PHONE AND LOOK WHERE YOU'RE WALKING!

Things I hate as a pedestrian - cars that don't yield and cars that park (and double-park) right at the cross-walk, making it impossible to assess if there's a car coming.  Bikes that don't obey traffic rules.  Those motorized bikes that travel the wrong way down a one-way street and, at times, go on the sidewalk.  And drivers that actually yell at the pedestrian for crossing the street.

Offline scannest

• Tourist
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2019, 06:14:36 PM »
Wow, I just logged in to check on all the police activity at 77th and Roosevelt this evening (Wednesday) and assumed this was related. Had no idea this occurred yesterday.

FWIW - there were 3 news vans parked behind Evolution this evening and plain-clothes officers walking up and down 77th between Roosevelt and 37th. Do you think it is follow up on the accident or something new?

Offline ljr

• Council Member
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2019, 08:56:31 PM »
That's not where the accident occurred, so why would it be related to the accident?

Offline hfm

• Mayor
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2019, 07:40:24 AM »
I hate this as well. I've just learned to try to ignore them as I wait for the pedestrians to cross. Did you really think I'd be just sitting here if I could move?

One thing I noticed that I really like is on some intersections the walk signal for pedestrians transitions before the light for cars flips to green by about 5 seconds or so. I really like that as it stops the crazy drivers trying to cut in front of pedestrians when they both used to flip at the same time.

Offline earbears

• Mayor
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2019, 12:04:22 PM »
Potential solutions:

Turn signals for cars on 37th Avenue and as an added measure, restrictions on hours that turning is permitted to protect kids going to and from school.  Modify the parking rules to limit parking for drivers loading/unloading passengers/goods, with 15 minute time limits.  Turning 37th Avenue into a pedestrian only walk way (cars could drive straight through to and from Roosevelt Avenue but not turn into 37th Avenue).  Cameras on all lights between 37th Avenue and 72nd and 89th Streets to catch speeding drivers and those who turn in violation of traffic law assuming my first proposal is adopted).  Speed bumps on each street on 37th Avenue between 72nd Street and 89th Street.  Red lights in all directions to allow pedestrians to cross the street. 

That's all I have so far.  Do you have any other ideas?

I like many of your ideas. But some would negatively impact our merchants. We need to work with the community, merchants and elected officials to get some of these ideas put into play.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2019, 12:04:22 PM »