Author Topic: Pedestrian hit on 37th Ave  (Read 2173 times)

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
Pedestrian hit on 37th Ave
« on: December 31, 2018, 02:29:29 PM »
I saw on FB that a pedestrian was hit in a crosswalk on 37th Ave, possibly around 81st St. Looks bad.

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
Re: Pedestrian hit on 37th Ave
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2018, 02:52:40 PM »
This is from the citizen app

Offline lindsey

• Activist
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2018, 08:48:03 PM »
NYPD reports the victim has died. Tragic and infuriating: what kind of soulless person would drive so recklessly in such a busy area?

https://twitter.com/nypdhighway/status/1079894944481988609?s=21

Offline ljr

• Council Member
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2019, 12:44:35 AM »
What kind of soulless person would drive so recklessly? JH is chock full of such people, or haven't you noticed? I have never been afraid of simply walking around a neighborhood, but here it's always in the back of my mind how many of these incidents have happened since I moved here 7 years ago. And I have personally seen cars drive up on the sidewalk in order to make a U turn--one drove right up in front of me once, all the way up on the sidewalk, right in front of the former Trade Fair supermarket. These drivers do whatever they feel like doing and the hell with anyone else. They race and cut in front of pedestrians to try and make their turn even though the pedestrian has the right of way. They do not care in the slightest, are heedless, reckless, careless, and totally selfish, as if they own the streets. This is really the one thing I dislike about JH. I have never seen such consistently horrible, reckless driving in any other area of NYC, where I have lived since 1976. I really think it's worse here for some reason.

Offline jh35

• Activist
« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 07:51:21 AM by jh35 »

Offline abcdefghijk

• Mayor
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2019, 10:24:29 AM »
What kind of soulless person would drive so recklessly? JH is chock full of such people, or haven't you noticed? I have never been afraid of simply walking around a neighborhood, but here it's always in the back of my mind how many of these incidents have happened since I moved here 7 years ago. And I have personally seen cars drive up on the sidewalk in order to make a U turn--one drove right up in front of me once, all the way up on the sidewalk, right in front of the former Trade Fair supermarket. These drivers do whatever they feel like doing and the hell with anyone else. They race and cut in front of pedestrians to try and make their turn even though the pedestrian has the right of way. They do not care in the slightest, are heedless, reckless, careless, and totally selfish, as if they own the streets. This is really the one thing I dislike about JH. I have never seen such consistently horrible, reckless driving in any other area of NYC, where I have lived since 1976. I really think it's worse here for some reason.

I tend to agree with LJR here. We have probably all had to battle cars while walking on crossings where pedestrians have right of way at one time or another.

When I first moved into the neighborhood, the first month,  an older, frail Bengali woman directly in front of me was knocked over while we were crossing 37th Ave. We pedestrians had right of way. The driver sped off. It appeared the woman had had her arm broken according to the ambulance folks who came after 911 was called. So at least she wasn't killed.

But it was a pertinent lesson to be alert crossing the street in this neighborhood.

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2019, 01:46:57 PM »
it may be worse here than most places. the very very worst place in this area that i've experienced is the area around st  john's university. my partner and i heard - not saw, since we were getting into a lyft  - an older man hit and (we later learned) killed. he was trying to beat a light on foot. about two weeks later, there was a story on tv news about something similar, with an older woman and sadly similar outcome.

maybe it's queens. maybe people are just worse drivers these days. the two incidents i was in proximity to seemed to have the pedestrian at fault. this one, clearly not. and, the fact that the driver was unlicensed? there needs to be stronger punishment for that.

Offline CaptainFlannel

• Mayor
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2019, 02:06:02 PM »
I'm a driver, and I am continually exasperated by drivers behind me beeping their horn as I yield to pedestrians, and also when I'm looking for street parking (which requires you to drive slower). Many drivers seem to believe the proper way to drive through residential streets and take turns is like a bat out of hell.

Offline ljr

• Council Member
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2019, 04:43:31 PM »
People are stupid--that's the basic problem.

Offline Fedup

• Resident
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2019, 05:29:58 PM »
I'm a driver, and I am continually exasperated by drivers behind me beeping their horn as I yield to pedestrians, and also when I'm looking for street parking (which requires you to drive slower). Many drivers seem to believe the proper way to drive through residential streets and take turns is like a bat out of hell.

Keep going yielding the pedestrians. Whenever I drive I always make sure to take my time when turning and not worry about those twits behind who are honking. Nothing is so important that they need to turn that corner as soon as the light turns green!

Offline JDinJH

• Activist
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2019, 05:41:29 PM »
Potential solutions:

Turn signals for cars on 37th Avenue and as an added measure, restrictions on hours that turning is permitted to protect kids going to and from school.  Modify the parking rules to limit parking for drivers loading/unloading passengers/goods, with 15 minute time limits.  Turning 37th Avenue into a pedestrian only walk way (cars could drive straight through to and from Roosevelt Avenue but not turn into 37th Avenue).  Cameras on all lights between 37th Avenue and 72nd and 89th Streets to catch speeding drivers and those who turn in violation of traffic law assuming my first proposal is adopted).  Speed bumps on each street on 37th Avenue between 72nd Street and 89th Street.  Red lights in all directions to allow pedestrians to cross the street. 

That's all I have so far.  Do you have any other ideas?

Offline Simka

• Council Member
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2019, 06:00:20 PM »

Keep going yielding the pedestrians. Whenever I drive I always make sure to take my time when turning and not worry about those twits behind who are honking. Nothing is so important that they need to turn that corner as soon as the light turns green!

I agree. It infuriates me when drivers honk their horns because a driver at the crosswalk is obeying the law and letting people cross the street!

Offline CaptainFlannel

• Mayor
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2019, 06:07:00 PM »
^the one finger salute is entirely appropriate for those folks. Unfortunately, you know they will be convinced they are the aggrieved party in that situation.

Offline Simka

• Council Member
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2019, 06:13:45 PM »
^the one finger salute is entirely appropriate for those folks. Unfortunately, you know they will be convinced they are the aggrieved party in that situation.

Sometimes I can't stop myself from shouting 'SHUT UP!" at the drivers. So yeah, that crazy yelling lady is me.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2019, 06:13:45 PM »