Author Topic: Article - The Myth of Mom-and-Pop Restaurants  (Read 733 times)

Offline JHMNY

• Global Moderator
  • Council Member
Article - The Myth of Mom-and-Pop Restaurants
« on: December 27, 2018, 11:31:49 AM »
From Thrillist -- Interesting take on mom-and-pop restaurants and the ethnic food many of them serve.

The Myth of Mom-and-Pop Restaurants

...I was just a couple of years into my job as food critic for the OC Weekly in Orange County, California. After initially focusing on high-end chefs, I convinced my then-editor to let me start a column called “This Hole-in-the-Wall Life.” I argued that they topped their hoity-toity siblings on the sole virtue that they were hole-in-the-walls: Humble. Undiscovered. Mostly "ethnic." And anything but fancy.

In other words, “authentic.”

Back then, I fully believed in the cult of authenticity -- that restaurants were either “real” or fake, and that the fake were inevitably more mainstream and buzzier and therefore didn’t deserve coverage, while the "real" spots were downhome and, well, real...

Offline MrPlaza

• Council Member
Re: Article - The Myth of Mom-and-Pop Restaurants
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2018, 10:04:23 PM »
Fantastic and sobering piece.

Offline N00b

• Citizen
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2019, 04:09:06 PM »
Is this really enlightening? There's basically bad and underwhelming restaurants in every category. The more interesting question is why people are so fed into the expectation that the best ethnic foods are found in hole in the wall places and why they're most authentic when it's cheap.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2019, 04:09:06 PM »