Author Topic: Political Commentary of the Day  (Read 8879 times)

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
Re: Political Commentary of the Day
« Reply #180 on: May 08, 2019, 02:19:32 PM »
you're correct -- it is hard to get passionate over Biden, who's the current front runner (like Jeb was at this point in 2015). he's not my top choice, nor is the other elderly gent on the D side...

but every post-election analysis of the 2016 race refers to the number of people who voted for Donny because they hated Hillary Clinton with a passion, not because they liked him. i think enough people have that white-hot hatred for this incumbent to make a difference in 2020.

Online abcdefghijk

• Mayor
« Reply #181 on: May 09, 2019, 08:20:26 AM »
I am not convinced that wishful thinking will unseat Trump.

Democrat-leaning folks need someone who can whip up passion (like the Republican-leaning have Trump) to get out and vote.

Yes, Democrats won Congress last mid-term election. But "white-hot hatred" did not win the Senate. Not 100% certain but my research tells me that Nixon lost both the senate and congress...Trump only lost congress.

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #182 on: May 09, 2019, 09:35:55 AM »
you're correct about the Nixon era in terms of numbers. but back then, the GOP was less monolithic and included people like Nelson Rockefeller, who'd be considered a raging leftist by today's Republicans -- and middle of the pack in today's Democratic party. Nixon had GOP opposition because some of them realized he was committing crimes and merited punishment.

as we've been told by the trumpster, he could "shoot a man on fifth avenue and not lose any votes."

and, yes, an inspirational candidate is ideal: there are a couple that hit the mark for me. then again, they may turn off the people who are literally walking on that double yellow line between "progressive" and conservative...it will be an interesting primary season.

Online abcdefghijk

• Mayor
« Reply #183 on: May 30, 2019, 09:00:03 AM »
IMO Mueller operates in a professional and diplomatic old fashioned way where everything he says is in the subtext. His manner requires thought and time to reflect.

The White House, on the other hand, is working in a simplistic, sloganistic "in your face" soundbite way. That doesn't require interpretation.

The White House is getting its message across clearly to most.

Alas, the subtility of Mueller and his case confuses the public. It's as though Mueller is too fearful to say what he really thinks out loud.

The White House is outmaneuvering Mueller to do with this investigation. The brazen approach seems to be what folks understand.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 09:09:42 AM by abcdefghijk »

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #184 on: May 30, 2019, 11:26:27 AM »
i have to agree -- simplistic sloganeering is always more popular than thoughtful discourse. that's why dictatorial strongmen, from the right and from the left, manage to wrest and maintain power so readily.

it's almost silly to counter shouted, monosyllabic lies with reasoned facts, but that seems to be the tack people are taking. it doesn't bode well.

Offline jeanette

• Mayor
« Reply #185 on: May 30, 2019, 12:58:25 PM »
There's a bunch of these on youtube, I think this one's my favorite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YA631bMT9g8

Online Jhx

• Activist
« Reply #186 on: June 14, 2019, 12:35:51 AM »
 Let me be the first on this site to wish the President of the United States, a very Happy Birthday. May the next six years of his Presidency be even better than the last two, ( if that’s even possible) Happy Birthday Mr. Donald Trump, from the silent minority in Jackson Heights Queens. :)

Offline stevn

• Resident
« Reply #187 on: June 14, 2019, 09:16:51 AM »
Let me be the first on this site to wish the President of the United States, a very Happy Birthday. May the next six years of his Presidency be even better than the last two, ( if that’s even possible) Happy Birthday Mr. Donald Trump, from the silent minority in Jackson Heights Queens. :)

For a majority, you sure don't vote in the neighborhood. Better register some of your fellow trolls to vote.

Offline Lilybell

• Mayor
« Reply #188 on: June 14, 2019, 09:51:48 AM »
Happy Birthday Mr. Donald Trump, from the silent minority in Jackson Heights Queens. :)

I hope he chokes on his birthday cake

Online abcdefghijk

• Mayor
« Reply #189 on: June 14, 2019, 09:55:56 AM »
Hey, it's also Boy George's Birthday today. Happy Birthday Boy George.  :)

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #190 on: June 14, 2019, 12:23:55 PM »

fake news -- he has no birthday. he simply rose, fully formed, from the depths of Hades.

and happy birthday, Boy George (and Che Guevara, just to further my Marxist image).

Offline JK resident

• Council Member
« Reply #191 on: June 14, 2019, 02:15:09 PM »
Too bad that the same people who praise Che don’t meet his end. A physician who murdered thousands of innocent people. What’s next, praising Stalin?

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #192 on: June 14, 2019, 06:38:00 PM »
i only place the triggers. you pull them.

Offline r

• Tourist
« Reply #193 on: June 17, 2019, 12:05:21 AM »
Death Cab for Cutie played a show in Forest Hills last night and introduced their new anti-gentrification song as:
"This band is from Seattle. Let me tell you something Queens, you dodged a real fucking bullet. This song is about that..."

Online abcdefghijk

• Mayor
« Reply #194 on: June 17, 2019, 11:53:38 AM »
Yeh, but maybe Seattle dodged a bullet by not having to live in the future sex industry center.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #194 on: June 17, 2019, 11:53:38 AM »