Author Topic: Political Commentary of the Day  (Read 7041 times)

Online dssjh

• Mayor
Re: Political Commentary of the Day
« Reply #180 on: May 08, 2019, 02:19:32 PM »
you're correct -- it is hard to get passionate over Biden, who's the current front runner (like Jeb was at this point in 2015). he's not my top choice, nor is the other elderly gent on the D side...

but every post-election analysis of the 2016 race refers to the number of people who voted for Donny because they hated Hillary Clinton with a passion, not because they liked him. i think enough people have that white-hot hatred for this incumbent to make a difference in 2020.

Offline abcdefghijk

• Mayor
« Reply #181 on: May 09, 2019, 08:20:26 AM »
I am not convinced that wishful thinking will unseat Trump.

Democrat-leaning folks need someone who can whip up passion (like the Republican-leaning have Trump) to get out and vote.

Yes, Democrats won Congress last mid-term election. But "white-hot hatred" did not win the Senate. Not 100% certain but my research tells me that Nixon lost both the senate and congress...Trump only lost congress.

Online dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #182 on: May 09, 2019, 09:35:55 AM »
you're correct about the Nixon era in terms of numbers. but back then, the GOP was less monolithic and included people like Nelson Rockefeller, who'd be considered a raging leftist by today's Republicans -- and middle of the pack in today's Democratic party. Nixon had GOP opposition because some of them realized he was committing crimes and merited punishment.

as we've been told by the trumpster, he could "shoot a man on fifth avenue and not lose any votes."

and, yes, an inspirational candidate is ideal: there are a couple that hit the mark for me. then again, they may turn off the people who are literally walking on that double yellow line between "progressive" and conservative...it will be an interesting primary season.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #182 on: May 09, 2019, 09:35:55 AM »