Author Topic: Gym reopenings?  (Read 1233 times)

Offline JHALUM

• Citizen
Gym reopenings?
« on: July 19, 2020, 11:22:00 PM »
I have a treadmill and a bench in my basement but always preferred going to the gym.  I used to have  quite a few other pieces of exercise equipment but I gave most of them away and I only have a limited set of dumbbells.  Dick's, Walmart and all of the  stores that sell  this type of  equipment and bicycles have empty shelves.  Unless I have misunderstood the guidelines it doesn't seem like any gym can open anytime soon.  Are the gyms in coop building able to reopen?

Offline JHMNY

• Global Moderator
  • Council Member
Re: Gym reopenings?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2020, 10:39:05 AM »
I have a treadmill and a bench in my basement but always preferred going to the gym.  I used to have  quite a few other pieces of exercise equipment but I gave most of them away and I only have a limited set of dumbbells.  Dick's, Walmart and all of the  stores that sell  this type of  equipment and bicycles have empty shelves.  Unless I have misunderstood the guidelines it doesn't seem like any gym can open anytime soon.  Are the gyms in coop building able to reopen?

The building I live in doesn’t have a gym, but I am curious about the “new” gym experience since they were recently given the ok to re-open. Is anyone here back at the gym, or thinking of returning? I was a member of NYSC in Sunnyside for a few years before canceling my membership at the onset of the pandemic. Even with reduced capacity and other guidelines put in place to help prevent/reduce Covid exposure, I just don’t feel comfortable returning at this time. I’ve been reading comments written by gym goers on a few online group sites, and the general consensus has been that people are not wearing masks correctly, and not wiping down equipment after workouts. These are just a few of the complaints I’ve come across. Does anyone have any gym experiences to share?

Offline Garsleat

• Citizen
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2020, 10:06:04 PM »
sadly, my local residential gym is still closed. But I've heard some chains have reopened with reduced capacity and gym rats are lining up to go inside! The only silver lining of this pandemic is that it happened in spring and summer, so I was able to do outdoor activities, but comes winter, I really hope things would calm down so I could workout indoor...

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2020, 09:36:43 AM »
I also cancelled NYSC, although I might join again in a few months after I see how things are going and what options they have for memberships. I was quite disappointed that they behaved so badly with freezing and cancelling memberships and the AG office had to intervene, but I can't say I'm surprised. I was looking online at other gym options in the area and I noticed that Big Six Fitness in Woodside abruptly closed. I imagine it's a tough time to own a gym.

Offline AndyJH

• Tourist
  • Musician
  • Lived here since: 2014
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2020, 12:16:15 PM »
While I haven't gone myself, my partner has gone to Blink (78th and Roosevelt) two or three times since gyms reopened and he said it's been great. You can reserve a time slot online so you're guaranteed to get in, or you can opt to walk-in without a reservation, though you might need to wait outside if there isn't enough space. I believe he said the locker rooms were closed except for use of the toilets. He always complained about what a mess that gym was pre-Covid, and was genuinely surprised and relieved that it's been a good experience so far.

You can read more about Blink's general guidelines here: https://www.blog.blinkfitness.com/the-blink-promise

Offline JHMNY

• Global Moderator
  • Council Member
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2020, 03:30:17 PM »
While I haven't gone myself, my partner has gone to Blink (78th and Roosevelt) two or three times since gyms reopened and he said it's been great. You can reserve a time slot online so you're guaranteed to get in, or you can opt to walk-in without a reservation, though you might need to wait outside if there isn't enough space. I believe he said the locker rooms were closed except for use of the toilets. He always complained about what a mess that gym was pre-Covid, and was genuinely surprised and relieved that it's been a good experience so far.

You can read more about Blink's general guidelines here: https://www.blog.blinkfitness.com/the-blink-promise

I also had a Blink membership in addition to NYSC. I alternated on occasions I didn’t feel like taking the train to Sunnyside. Blink was quick, no questions asked when I opted to cancel, a very different experience from the NYSC cancelation. If I decide to return to a gym when the time is right, I’m probably going to stick with Blink. It’s within walking distance, and wasn’t all too crowded at the times I went. Thanks for sharing the guidelines link.

Offline petegart

• Council Member
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2020, 01:15:01 PM »
I did visit Blink for 3 workouts in one week after they reopened.  Pros: it is sparsely populated, an appointment is required, they check your temp as you enter, every single person is masked, and it is clean. Cons: many of the legacy issues with Blink remain, equipment that is not functioning properly, people staring at their cell-phones between sets (for an excessive amount of time), and most importantly, it is stuffy in there.  It seemed to me there was little to no fresh air, the windows are sealed, and ultimately I decided I don’t feel safe enough to continue during this time. 

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2020, 01:15:01 PM »