Author Topic: Jax Hts Starbucks closed by NYC Health Dept  (Read 2274 times)

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
Re: Jax Hts Starbucks closed by NYC Health Dept
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2018, 09:15:35 AM »
Starbucks is one of the only truly integrated spaces in this neighborhood.

now that McDonald's is gone, perhaps.

Offline abcdefghijk

• Mayor
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2018, 10:12:44 AM »
Starbucks is one of the only truly integrated spaces in this neighborhood.

Agreed.

As an observation, I noticed that too.
Also Caffe Bene.

Offline Jeffsayyes

• Mayor
    • Jeffrey Tastes
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2018, 02:28:18 PM »
Sorry but I'm not celebrating how the general population gravitates towards Starbucks, Cafe Bene, McDonalds, and Wendy's rather than going to a place our own neighbors own. I have always loved how people of every color hang out at Cannelle but spending at Starbucks is just short sighted that's going to make us identical to boring chain-laced neighborhoods around the country.

And for money... rent goes to landlords who don't live here. Taxes to the city, which always spends it wisely on Jackson Heights especially. They prevent other coffee shops from opening and are the competition to E77 and JoJu and 969. And wait, are higher rents good or bad? Yes, they basically launched coffee into the mainstream, but so did taco bell do so for Mexican food. While I do think Taco Bell is a great business for a variety of reasons, I would be happier to see them replaced with a local.

And the frappuccino doesn't even have coffee in it!

Offline am315

• Citizen
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2018, 03:14:13 PM »
Thanks for posting East...

These conditions sound pretty bad but what's interesting is that it got them closed down.

The Amercan Chicken place up the block has had similiar types of issues and I mostly gotten a "grade pending" rating.

Btw, I do think it's interesting and not a coincidence that the DOH shut a national chain versus a mom and pop.

Offline CaptainFlannel

• Mayor
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2018, 03:45:44 PM »
Starbucks pays rent, taxes, and salaries here. The workers and managers are members of the general population, not relatives of the owner. As anchor stores, they bring stability to a neighborhood and are a selling point in attracting other businesses. I am not an expert, but I would think toe to toe, Starbucks brings more wealth to a neighborhood than a small, family owned establishment.

All of that can be said for Wal-Mart, except for it bringing wealth to the community it operates in.

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2018, 03:58:07 PM »
you actually don't *get* a grade pending rating. you get a "C" rating and try to appeal it upwards, or fail and correct the worst violations, then wait for a new inspection.

Offline am315

• Citizen
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2018, 06:06:01 PM »
I find it funny that every almost every restaurant posting devolves into Big Bad National Chain is killing local business and is the enemy of the people. Oh, and all commercial landlords are ripping off tenants and taking all the cash they earn to some nirvana outside NYC.

Offline Jeffsayyes

• Mayor
    • Jeffrey Tastes
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2018, 09:24:55 AM »
my 6th grade English teacher used to say that you didn't Get a grade, you Earned it

Offline jeanette

• Mayor
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2018, 11:00:28 AM »
my 6th grade English teacher used to say that you didn't Get a grade, you Earned it

good one, jeffy!

Offline itsit

• Council Member
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2018, 11:35:31 AM »
   I would tend to agree with Jeanette here. Starbucks is generally a plus for a neighborhood of our economic diversity. I have
seen many, many students studying there individually or collectively, especially during exam/AP time. Lots of job interviews,
initial meetings for other reasons(not my business) also look to be happening. And if you know anything about the Swedish
concept of Fika, the coffee/cake break that their society almost insists on, then Starbucks is filling a need here in JH along
with Letys, E77 and countless other spots in our shopping district. It is our defacto community center.
   However, I think the JH store is usually understaffed for how busy they are and think this may have contributed to the
issues that closed them temporarily. Hire more people, if you are listening, Starbucks. They are one of the better
chain employers though and many have testified to that end, though certainly some outliers would exist in such a large
company. The Starbucks in Woodside at the shopping center has been a great anchor to that area and is alway busy
which is not as much the case in the Dunkin's we have locally.

Offline CaptainFlannel

• Mayor
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2018, 04:57:32 PM »
What was posted above about the violations didn't shock me that much. Improper storage probably means someone forgot to properly cover something.  Easy fix - training. Roaches and flies? Sounds like some drains need to be cleaned and an exterminator needs to be brought in more often. I've worked in restaurants. Yes, they have bugs. It's one of the reasons I've avoided living in a building with a commercial first floor with a restaurant.

Offline Sky23

• Tourist
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2018, 09:17:37 PM »
I hope they can open soon. Not going to lie, their mobile ordering option saves me a couple of needed minutes in the morning. As far as Dunkin Vs Starbucks, it’s not even a competition. Even if Starbucks exports all its profits out of state, it’s still pays its employees a decent wage with benefits. Dunkin Donuts franchises in NYC are owned by a select few families who pocket most of the profits while hiring minimum wage employees.

Offline JHMNY

• Global Moderator
  • Council Member
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2018, 08:13:47 AM »
I hope they can open soon.

They're open again.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2018, 08:13:47 AM »