Author Topic: Jax Hts Starbucks closed by NYC Health Dept  (Read 2275 times)

Offline Davey

• Tourist
Jax Hts Starbucks closed by NYC Health Dept
« on: November 09, 2018, 09:55:57 PM »
Saw the yellow NYC Health sign on 37th Ave location Friday night. Crew inside cleaning, using flashlights along the floors. I hadn't noticed letter grades previously -- and suddenly a notice of closure.

Offline Davey

• Tourist
Re: Jax Hts Starbucks closed by NYC Health Dept
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2018, 09:43:23 AM »
Saw the yellow NYC Health sign on 37th Ave location Friday night. Crew inside cleaning, using flashlights along the floors. I hadn't noticed letter grades previously -- and suddenly a notice of closure.

Offline JHMNY

• Global Moderator
  • Council Member
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2018, 01:38:11 PM »
The Jackson Heights Starbucks always seemed to be quite popular, although I'm not sure if people were actually buying coffee, working, or just hanging out. Oddly enough, it seems like not too long ago that many were anxiously awaiting its opening, and when it did open, velvet rope included, people lined up to check it out. I'm a coffee drinker, but not much of a Starbucks fan, so I have mixed feelings about its presence in the neighborhood. Given its popularity, it does seem to be a business that people want here. I'm sure many are hoping that existing violations are resolved quickly. Wondering if it has opened yet.

Offline StevenGrey

• Council Member
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2018, 01:46:18 PM »
I'd still like someone to explain why some people were so opposed to a Starbucks opening in our neighborhood but had no objections to there being a half-dozen Dunkin Donuts franchises.

Offline JHMNY

• Global Moderator
  • Council Member
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2018, 01:54:20 PM »
I'd still like someone to explain why some people were so opposed to a Starbucks opening in our neighborhood but had no objections to there being a half-dozen Dunkin Donuts franchises.

This reminds of an article I read about Dunkin's coffee being the best "bad" coffee.  ???

Offline am315

• Citizen
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2018, 02:32:07 PM »
It's pretty rare for the health dept to shut down a restaurant these days so Starbucks's infractions must have been pretty bad. These days if you fail a health inspection you get a "grade pending" designation which allows you to make things right and get re-inspected. That was one of the concessions that the de Blasio admin made to the restaurant industry which had complained that the city was killing their business with restaurant closures and inspections.

Offline rosie

• Resident
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2018, 03:31:15 PM »

Personally, I'm not a fan of Dunkin either... But from my understanding, Starbucks is particularly bad because they have some sort of stipulation in their lease that other businesses within a certain radius can't sell coffee. Probably why the old Ingrid's Salon space is still empty...

Offline Jeffsayyes

• Mayor
    • Jeffrey Tastes
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2018, 04:37:50 PM »
For me, Dunkin Donuts are franchises and Starbucks are owned by Starbucks - so all the money gets siphoned to Seattle. Although creatively and culturally, both are crap, at the very least DD can exploit family labor and create some accumulation of wealth by the owners. Also, yeah the monopoly of coffee thing is just a jerk move.

I really have disdain for people that think it is an upgrade to their neighborhood. I wish them the worst.

Offline Chingwa

• Citizen
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2018, 05:35:31 PM »
I don't visit Starbucks much, and would rather have something more unique or interesting.  But if it's a choice between Starbucks and a 99-cent store or a dunkin donuts, or another pharmacy, I would take Starbucks every time.

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2018, 06:45:42 PM »
the coffee at 99 cent stores is notoriously unreliable. the food is far better than it is at starbucks, though.

Offline Hertog

• Tourist
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2018, 09:15:53 PM »
from my understanding, Starbucks is particularly bad because they have some sort of stipulation in their lease that other businesses within a certain radius can't sell coffee.
This infuriates me. As soon as I found this out, I stopped going to Starbucks. It stifles small business in the neighborhood for the sole purpose of lining the pockets of the landlords.

Offline deja

• Activist
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2018, 12:14:11 AM »
Starbucks overroasts its coffee almost to the point of burning. 

Offline jeanette

• Mayor
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2018, 06:53:47 AM »
Starbucks are owned by Starbucks - so all the money gets siphoned to Seattle.

I beg to disagree. Starbucks pays rent, taxes, and salaries here. The workers and managers are members of the general population, not relatives of the owner. As anchor stores, they bring stability to a neighborhood and are a selling point in attracting other businesses. I am not an expert, but I would think toe to toe, Starbucks brings more wealth to a neighborhood than a small, family owned establishment.

I don't like Starbucks, don't use their product; I'm just trying to be honest here.

Offline NYC Peromyscus

• Council Member
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2018, 07:12:51 AM »
Starbucks is one of the only truly integrated spaces in this neighborhood.

Offline Eastway

• Tourist
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2018, 08:01:53 AM »
From Starbucks NYC Health Dept inspection report

Inspection conducted on 11/09/2018.
"Critical" violations are displayed in red.
Violation points: 40
Sanitary Violations
1) Live roaches present in facility's food and/or non-food areas.
2) Filth flies or food/refuse/sewage-associated (FRSA) flies present in facility’s food and/or non-food areas. Filth flies include house flies, little house flies, blow flies, bottle flies and flesh flies. Food/refuse/sewage-associated flies include fruit flies, drain flies and Phorid flies.
3) Food not protected from potential source of contamination during storage, preparation, transportation, display or service.
4) Facility not vermin proof. Harborage or conditions conducive to attracting vermin to the premises and/or allowing vermin to exist.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2018, 08:01:53 AM »