Author Topic: Separate Compartment in Trash Containers for Refundables.  (Read 447 times)

Offline abcdefghijk

• Mayor
Separate Compartment in Trash Containers for Refundables.
« on: November 02, 2018, 12:25:54 PM »
In Denmark, they are implementing separate compartments in trash containers for refundables.

So that people who collect these bottles, cans, etc for money have easy access to them and thus don't have to spill garbage all over the street in their search for the refundables. 

NYC, this is a great idea. And one we need.

(Perhaps refundables can also be separated in domestic garbage too? So folks don't split open the garbage bags and make a mess in their search?)

Offline CaptainFlannel

• Mayor
Re: Separate Compartment in Trash Containers for Refundables.
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2018, 12:38:18 PM »
Is this a problem? People go through my building's recycling bags like clockwork to pull out the refundable bottles, and l never notice the rest of the recycling being strewn about. They seem to actually be pretty careful about it -- I assume so no one gives them any grief about going through the recycling.

Offline itsit

• Council Member
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2018, 06:59:47 PM »
 Our super actually has an arrangement with a woman he lets in to go through the refundables before he does the final
bagging. Not sure what the nature of the transaction is but it makes less volume go out in the bags and I don't see our
recyclable bags cut open as others look for cans and bottles. But the separate container is an excellent idea!!!

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2018, 07:19:37 PM »
i've seen the same couple of ladies collect ours for almost 20 years, never an issue with mess. they're very careful.

but yes, having it institutionalized (or whatever) would be a good idea. in Montreal, the street corner cans are all divided in four, and it works very well.

Offline Simka

• Council Member
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2018, 09:42:57 PM »
Here's another angle, though. Right now, there are people who are eager to go to the effort of rummaging through the bags so they can find refundables to turn in. In a sense, they work for it. If the refundables are in a separate bag, the first person who comes along and wants some spare change can take them with no effort. If someone is needy enough that they're willing to dig through the bags, I'd rather see that person make the profit.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2018, 09:42:57 PM »