Author Topic: Bamboo House  (Read 1811 times)

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
Bamboo House
« on: October 22, 2018, 03:24:21 PM »
Bamboo House Nepali-Indian.

it looks to be much nicer than the last few tenants. a sit-down place with a bar.

help wanted signs indicate an opening might be imminent.

Online lalochezia

• Mayor
Re: Al-Araf replacement official
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2018, 03:25:31 PM »
whatever happened to "indonesian"

:(

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2018, 03:26:32 PM »
perhaps a rumor started by someone who didn't really have any info or misheard?

Offline BennyB

• Citizen
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2018, 03:59:29 PM »
How many Nepali or Tibetan restaurants will we have in Jackson Heights when this opens? 10? 20?

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2018, 12:04:38 AM »
clearly not enough just yet. we'll know we have too many when they start closing, like the poke joints have been doing around manhattan.

Offline JH3525

• Council Member
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2018, 12:42:34 PM »
What a let down not having Indonesian just 3 blocks from home.  What does impress me is how quickly they're opening since purchasing the lease from Al-Araf.   

Offline BennyB

• Citizen
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2018, 03:31:14 PM »
What a let down not having Indonesian just 3 blocks from home.
True that would be amazing

Offline ljr

• Council Member
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2018, 07:54:59 PM »
I just walked by and it looks like it's going to have the same type of weird lighting that the new place that has a mixture of Southeast Asian and Japanese food--across 37th and down half a block--has, a sort of dim, washed out, ghastly lighting I find very off-putting. To me, lighting is a huge part of the atmosphere and mood of any room, and I just find this kind of lighting so unpleasant I would probably never want to go in.

Offline Jeffsayyes

• Mayor
    • Jeffrey Tastes
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2018, 06:43:35 PM »
This will be approximately number 30 in the area. I kid you not. I really think there are momos per square foot served here than anything else in the city. More than coffee, more than delis, etc.

Offline petegart

• Activist
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2018, 03:19:48 PM »
Hi all, what is the address?  Thanks

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2018, 04:52:10 PM »
76-03 37th avenue.

Offline abcdefghijk

• Mayor
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2018, 09:15:01 PM »
I just walked by and it looks like it's going to have the same type of weird lighting that the new place that has a mixture of Southeast Asian and Japanese food--across 37th and down half a block--has, a sort of dim, washed out, ghastly lighting I find very off-putting. To me, lighting is a huge part of the atmosphere and mood of any room, and I just find this kind of lighting so unpleasant I would probably never want to go in.

I walked by this tonight.

There's blue fluorescent (or halogen?) type lighting. 

Blue.

Someone please tell these folks that no-one wants to sit under cold blue fluorescent lighting when they dine.

That's why NO restaurants have blue lighting. 

Because as a color for lighting...it might be have been good for say, the 1970's disco era but other than that...it repels people. 

If they don't change their lighting, they'll be closed in the blink of an eye.  While never having understood why people didn't enter their restaurant.  EVEN IF their cuisine were of Eleven Madison Park caliber.

These restauranteurs should learn re: lighting from Arepa Lady just up the avenue from them.

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
Re: Bamboo House
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2018, 09:29:03 PM »
seemed pretty crowded.

so not "nobody."

not "you."

sounds like you're being presumptuous and not thinking globally.

that's that.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 09:34:32 PM by dssjh »

Offline abcdefghijk

• Mayor
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2018, 09:47:24 PM »
seemed pretty crowded.

so not "nobody."

not "you."

sounds like you're being presumptuous and not thinking globally.

that's that.

Honi soit qui mal y pense
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honi_soit_qui_mal_y_pense

Honi soit qui mal y pense (UK: [ɒnɪ ˌswɑː kiː mal iː ˈpɒ̃s] or US: [ˌoʊni ˌswɑ ki ˌmɑl i ˈpɑ̃s]) is a French maxim used as the motto of the British chivalric Order of the Garter. It is translated as "May he be shamed who thinks badly of it"[1] or "Shame be to him who thinks evil of it"[2] or "Evil (or shame) be to him that evil thinks."[3] Also the motto of the Royal Regiment of Fusiliers. In contemporary French usage, it is usually used to insinuate the presence of hidden agendas or conflicts of interest.[4]

« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 10:01:27 PM by abcdefghijk »

Offline ljr

• Council Member
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2018, 10:03:41 PM »
Yes—it seems to be a cultural thing. Was the reference to Arepa Lady a joke, because it's pretty dim in there, too. I don't understand why, I will never understand why, but it doesn't matter--I'm not their constituency. I feel the same way, by the way, about the homes of friends who have dim overhead lights and no lamps--I can't understand how they can live that way. I just find it so unpleasant also in a private home. I have no idea what Bamboo House is up to--it looks more like a social club than a restaurant at this point. And what is with the deer (?) heads on the walls? Seriously.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2018, 10:03:41 PM »