Author Topic: Amazon to open distribution center at Bulova-Woodside  (Read 1710 times)

Offline abcdefghijk

• Mayor
Re: Amazon to open distribution center at Bulova-Woodside
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2018, 11:14:20 AM »
It would be GREAT to have a pickup there if you need something immediately. Or at least as soon as it gets there to the center.

I will suggest it to them!

Just saying that actually Amazon does have this option I was suggesting and it's already happening in Seattle. It's in this NY Times article below...

O ye of little faith! :D

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/23/technology/amazon-seattle-testing.html

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2018, 11:34:26 AM »
It would be GREAT to have a pickup there if you need something immediately. Or at least as soon as it gets there to the center.

Just saying that actually Amazon does have this option I was suggesting and it's already happening in Seattle. It's in this NY Times article below...

It doesn't mention anything about being able to get your items immediately. I just don't see how picking up at a center is preferable to having something delivered to your door.

I suppose, in theory, if you are really desperate for an item and are willing to go to the distribution center to get it, you might get your item a few hours before a delivery person is able to drop it at your door. But...in NYC where most don't have cars, and people are generally working during the day, how is this really beneficial to most people? If they ever do start this service, I can't imagine that I would ever want or need to use it. Seems like a time waster instead of a time saver.

The article mentions that such centers are popular in college areas where people don't have the luxury of being able to get their package dropped at their door. I guess for people like that, it makes sense. But I have a great UPS guy who comes to my building every day and drops packages right in front of my apartment door, and you can't beat that!  ;D

But yes, you were right that the option exists.

Offline hfm

• Council Member
« Reply #17 on: Yesterday at 12:59:35 PM »

It doesn't mention anything about being able to get your items immediately. I just don't see how picking up at a center is preferable to having something delivered to your door.

I suppose, in theory, if you are really desperate for an item and are willing to go to the distribution center to get it, you might get your item a few hours before a delivery person is able to drop it at your door. But...in NYC where most don't have cars, and people are generally working during the day, how is this really beneficial to most people? If they ever do start this service, I can't imagine that I would ever want or need to use it. Seems like a time waster instead of a time saver.

The article mentions that such centers are popular in college areas where people don't have the luxury of being able to get their package dropped at their door. I guess for people like that, it makes sense. But I have a great UPS guy who comes to my building every day and drops packages right in front of my apartment door, and you can't beat that!  ;D

But yes, you were right that the option exists.

It also helps for people that live in buildings that don't have someone at the door to hold the packages for them. I don't want to think about how often packages were getting stolen from lobbies from people getting in the building, or worse just being left in the vestibule where anyone can just grab them.

I've even had times where I stayed home to get a package and they didn't even ring they just dumped it in the lobby and left. Not all the time, but if I'm going to stay home to receive and expensive package i'd actually rather be able to just grab it from a distribution center where I know exactly when I'm going to get it and not wait on a variable time delivery where I missed it because I was in the bathroom.

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #18 on: Yesterday at 01:49:55 PM »
amazon is particularly frustrating because, to paraphrase forrest gump, you never know who's going to be doing the delivery. could be USPS (most reliable to me), could be UPS, could be one of Amazon's own drivers....

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #18 on: Yesterday at 01:49:55 PM »