Author Topic: La Esquisita - El Rico Tinto on Hampton St  (Read 2238 times)

Offline the80s

• Activist
La Esquisita - El Rico Tinto on Hampton St
« on: October 05, 2018, 05:44:44 PM »
[Split by moderators from El Rico Tinto Is Gone thread]

El Rico Tinto just posted this on their Instagram account:

To all our customers!!
We would like to invite you to visit us at our new location:
La Esquisita
40-08 Hampton Street
Elmhurst, NY 11373

https://www.instagram.com/p/BokJpyXg0X2/?taken-by=elricotinto

I'm a little confused! There seems to be an existing bakery called La Exquisita at that location, since late 2017. The pictures on Google (https://tinyurl.com/ycyrajac) don't look much like what El Rico Tinto was doing. But maybe they are taking it over? Or becoming involved somehow?

I'll wait to learn more, but I hope this means that maybe the future is bright for El Rico Tinto. I already miss that place so much.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 10:00:11 PM by toddg »

Offline rabucat

• Resident
Re: La Esquisita - El Rico Tinto on Hampton St
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2018, 05:45:30 PM »
I saw on El Rico Tinto's Instagram feed today that they have opened at a new location: 
La Esquisita, 40-08 Hampton Street in Elmhurst.  Will have to go check it out and see how it compares!  Glad to see they've landed on their feet!  Always loved El Rico Tinto. 

Offline abcdefghijk

• Mayor
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2018, 10:25:32 PM »
 :)

Good for them.

Offline palomita

• Tourist
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2018, 08:45:55 PM »
We were huge ERT fans and really devastated to see it close.  We went to check out the new location this morning. 

Happy to report Victor was there and so were his empanadas.  He said everything happened really quickly and he just found his new space 3 days ago.  It seems like he took over an existing Colombian bakery; for now he doesn't have the ERT menu (we love the huevos divorciados!) it's just a steam table and bakery but he said over the next week he will be bringing his equipment over from the old place and he hopes to have the ERT menu up and running within a few weeks.

It's a pretty small space.  I hope he can manage to make it as welcoming and community-oriented as ERT was.  We wish him the best and will be supporting his new place as much as we can!

Online ljr

• Council Member
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2018, 09:40:42 PM »
Palomita--how do you get there? I'm not familiar with where that address is. Unfortunately, location, location, location...meaning, I wish them the best, but the fact that they were very close to my apartment made it easy to stop by for lunch or breakfast. I will likely not travel to their new location, because it will be quite inconvenient and time-consuming--so I'll be patronizing Ricky's or Juju's or E77 instead. It's very much too bad--they had great fish tacos and guacamole, and it was very nice to have them so nearby. And it was a nice-looking room and a friendly place--really a great spot. Sigh.

Offline palomita

• Tourist
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2018, 08:15:47 AM »
ljr - 83rd St essentially turns into Hampton St about half a block south of Roosevelt (or rather it forks into Hampton and Baxter which runs along the east side of the hospital).  La Esquisita is right there after 83rd turns into Hampton, it is very close to Roose.

It's actually only 1 block from Terraza 7, Hampton runs parallel to Gleane (1 block south/west).

If you are in the 80s the new location really isn't any farther than the old location, but if you are in the mid/low 70s it is more of a trek.

Offline palomita

• Tourist
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2018, 07:01:22 PM »
Just refreshing this thread because I hope people haven't forgotten about La Esquisita/ERT2!

We went for brunch today around 9:30 and it was pretty empty.  A bunch of people stopped in for coffee and a pastry but no one else was really sitting for a full meal. 

The full ERT menu is back and just as good.  Victor's rearranged the space since he first opened and it is definitely more conducive to sit-down dining than it was when he first opened.  They also deliver!

Offline theplanesland

• Mayor
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2018, 10:51:30 PM »
Just refreshing this thread because I hope people haven't forgotten about La Esquisita/ERT2!

We went for brunch today around 9:30 and it was pretty empty.  A bunch of people stopped in for coffee and a pastry but no one else was really sitting for a full meal. 

The full ERT menu is back and just as good.  Victor's rearranged the space since he first opened and it is definitely more conducive to sit-down dining than it was when he first opened.  They also deliver!

I'm confused. I looked online (Google, etc.) and this appears to be just a bakery? The online menus only say it has pastries. Is there any way to see or access the full menu and see what they offer? I loved ERT but I'm not going to 83rd street for a bakery.

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2018, 11:04:56 PM »

I'm confused. I looked online (Google, etc.) and this appears to be just a bakery? The online menus only say it has pastries. Is there any way to see or access the full menu and see what they offer? I loved ERT but I'm not going to 83rd street for a bakery.

There are a handful of photos on La Exquisita instagram account https://www.instagram.com/elricotinto/?hl=en
At least the first few pics seem to have been posted after the transition from El Rico Tinto to La Exquisita.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 11:12:52 PM by Shelby2 »

Offline FreyaG

• Tourist
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2018, 09:46:15 AM »

They serve the full ERT menu together with daily specials.

Offline madalyn

• Mayor
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2018, 05:26:48 PM »
Best guacamole evah!

Offline the80s

• Activist
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2019, 10:05:52 AM »
I haven't been by yet, though I loved El Rico Tinto so I've been meaning to.

Can anyone who has been to La Exquisita comment on whether it's a nice place to sit down for a meal, as El Rico Tinto was? Or is it very barebones and small / more of a takeout place?

Also, is there a reason they are keeping the old name instead of just calling it El Rico Tinto again?

Offline fillmorep

• Citizen
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2019, 08:16:23 AM »
I have been there several times. There is seating for only about eight people. It's not big. Then again, a lot of the business seems to be take-out, so I was able to get a seat both times I went. I had eggs and an arepa one time and soup the next. Tasty, homemade food in a cozy but welcoming environment. I will be back again soon!

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2019, 08:16:23 AM »