Author Topic: Arepa Lady opening!  (Read 3062 times)

Offline Jhx

• Activist
Re: Arepa Lady opening!
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2018, 11:48:39 PM »
I can completely understand cashless. But not to accept a credit card in a restaurant? Peter Luger, or Arepa Lady, just always seemed shady to me.

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2018, 02:04:55 AM »
Cash is legal tender. If you leave $52.40 in cash plus tip for a meal that costs that amount and the owner declined it, leave. Let them call the cops and have you charged with paying for your purchase.

Offline ljr

• Council Member
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2018, 08:59:00 AM »
The comment was about not accepting credit cards--it was not about not accepting cash. I don't know of any restaurants that don't accept cash, but there are fast food/takeout places that don't. It's a trend, a weird one, which I hope does not become the norm.

Offline Markshark

• Tourist
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2018, 04:03:04 PM »
The reason many restaurants only take cash is that the banks/credit card companies take between 2.5% and 3.5% of each transaction plus, often, a 25¢ swipe fee. If Arepa Lady were to swipe $1,000,000 in transactions in a year, that'd be tens of thousands of dollars going to a bank. I'd rather see that money go to employees. There are also many other reasons a restaurant would choose to be cash only, especially in this political climate.

Offline Jhx

• Activist
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2018, 10:34:16 PM »
No, I don’t think so. You an owner?

Offline Jhx

• Activist
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2018, 11:07:53 PM »
LOL, What the heck is the political climate anyway???  A reason to give tens of thousands of dollars to employees?

Offline petster

• Council Member
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2018, 11:12:56 AM »
I think the primary reason why they don't accept credit cards is that they don't have to claim the profits to the IRS.  Such places pay minimum wage to their employees.  Even the smallest deli on 37th avenue accepts credit cards.

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2018, 02:18:22 PM »
well, there are thousands of stores and restaurants in NYC -- and hundreds of thousands across America -- who are cheating the IRS. fortunately, the IRS isn't paying its workers during the shutdown, so until the fence is built, tax cheating won't be prosecuted.

seriously, i've been in bars in Mississippi, bbq joints in North Carolina, pierogi places in Ohio and clubs in rural Texas that don't accept credit cards. it's really not that rare.

Offline hagsrus

• Activist
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2018, 05:09:04 PM »
https://www.wsj.com/articles/your-cash-is-no-good-here-literally-11546013696

I seem to remember a chapter in one of Heinlein's books (Time Enough for Love, perhaps) where the protagonists had a conflict with a club owner who didn't want to take cash. Prophetic!

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2018, 05:09:04 PM »