Author Topic: Growing Farm  (Read 8666 times)

Offline jeanette

• Mayor
Re: Growing Farm 76-31 37th Ave shuttered
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2018, 06:28:01 PM »
...not to mention the displaced workers from GF and RT. I would imagine a lot of food service people can't go a day without pay.

Offline pajarita

• Tourist
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2018, 07:09:34 PM »
Heart broken that ERT and GF are gone..
I heard that in the case of ERT, the co-op behind the stores (including a well-connected resident of the building) have been filing continuous complaints against the business because they were unhappy with their garbage practices. These complaints reached the landlord, and after legal action ERT has been locked out - and I hear the landlord doesn't want them back. IMO, if their outside practices were analogous to their inside practices, they always kept a very clean and orderly restaurant/cafe.

If true, this is a textbook example of what happens when a neighborhood gentrifies. Well-heeled new comers are investing in properties here with the expectation of changing the neighborhood to their tastes rather than embracing it. I have encountered people who have recently moved here from UES and complained about certain places being too "ethnic". I just hope that this is not how the majority of newcomers feel and that such complaints (like those made by the co-op in question) remain reasonable.
It is important to realize this is not just affecting store owners, but also people who work and live here that consider these establishments as community hubs.

Offline jeanette

• Mayor
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2018, 07:18:29 PM »
If true, this is a textbook example of what happens when a neighborhood gentrifies.

If NOT true, this is a textbook example of how rumors start and innuendo divides us.

Offline abcdefghijk

• Mayor
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2018, 10:38:07 PM »
Heart broken that ERT and GF are gone..
I heard that in the case of ERT, the co-op behind the stores (including a well-connected resident of the building) have been filing continuous complaints against the business because they were unhappy with their garbage practices. These complaints reached the landlord, and after legal action ERT has been locked out - and I hear the landlord doesn't want them back. IMO, if their outside practices were analogous to their inside practices, they always kept a very clean and orderly restaurant/cafe.

If true, this is a textbook example of what happens when a neighborhood gentrifies. Well-heeled new comers are investing in properties here with the expectation of changing the neighborhood to their tastes rather than embracing it. I have encountered people who have recently moved here from UES and complained about certain places being too "ethnic". I just hope that this is not how the majority of newcomers feel and that such complaints (like those made by the co-op in question) remain reasonable.
It is important to realize this is not just affecting store owners, but also people who work and live here that consider these establishments as community hubs.

Very suspicious about this post.  A new poster creating fake problems in Jackson Heights?

Besides that, El Rico Tinto was a gentrified sort of a place that would've fitted in fine even in Williamsburg.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 10:47:27 PM by abcdefghijk »

Offline ljr

• Council Member
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2018, 11:05:37 PM »
What a load of BS! I live in the coop mentioned. Yes, we have been filing complaints against the landlord-- not the tenants-- of those shops--because he is not complying with regulations regarding the storage of garbage, which is resulting in a serious rat problem emanating from the alleyway behind those stores and traveling up the block. It's the landlord's responsibility to ensure that garbage be handled properly and according to city regulations. Nobody has ever singled out ERT or GF as offenders --in fact, I have heard it mentioned that the deli, K&L, is not doing a good job with garbage. And nobody has closed down the deli, right? Plus these businesses have leases--I don't believe the landlord can shut them down because of a complaint about the storage of garbage by his tenants. The complaints are totally legitimate--we have called in city inspectors who have actually filed the complaints-- and they have zero to do with gentrification. The coop has been here since 1921, and many of the residents have been here for decades--dating from well before the recent influx of people from Manhattan and Brooklyn. Many are retirees, not hipsters from Brooklyn. I can't imagine who this poster is or why he/she would post a totally uninformed comment like this.  As mentioned earlier, the most likely cause of the closings is a rent increase. Hopefully we will know more soon and maybe it can be worked out so the businesses can remain. They are both very well-loved businesses, and this just seems part of the overall problem of greedy landlords and tax laws that allow them to benefit via tax deductions by raising rents to unaffordable levels. To blame it on gentrifiers is absurd. Do gentrifiers want a bunch of empty storefronts instead of the excellent food and produce that those two stores provided? The only person who benefits from empty storefronts is the landlord who can take a tax write off, as I understand it.

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2018, 11:27:07 PM »
What a load of BS!  To blame it on gentrifiers is absurd. Do gentrifiers want a bunch of empty storefronts instead of the excellent food and produce that those two stores provided? The only person who benefits from empty storefronts is the landlord who can take a tax write off, as I understand it.

Excellent post. Thank you!

Another point is that the other poster is implying that long time residents would not care enough to report a garbage problem resulting in a rat infestation —that only new “gentrifier” residents would care about that. In fact, that implication seems insulting to those long term residents.

Offline pajarita

• Tourist
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2018, 11:32:21 PM »
jeanette - My post was written in clear language that stated what I know is just what I've heard - some information gathered while talking to people on the block (and hearing from a credible source). For fear of repercussions to anybody involved, I don't want to give names since what I'm discussing is just what I've heard. My further writing was a personal reflection/commentary on the situation in the case that this is true.

abcdefghijk - I understand your apprehension towards a new poster, however I've been a member of the site for almost one year and simply haven't posted until now. The recency of my membership to this site does not bear on the veracity of my input in this community discussion. The beauty of El Rico Tinto was that it catered to all in the neighborhood, including new comers/gentrifiers, without compromising on its authenticity. Perhaps I could've been more clear in my first post that I simply was conveying information that I had found while looking for answers.

ljr - Thank you for being forthright and sharing your knowledge - I wanted to start a conversation and that has happened. My commentary was based on that information I heard, which is clearly not all wrong if you have corroborated the complaints from the co-op. I am happy to know that the complaints weren't directed towards ERT, though the landlord may have pinned the problem on them. Alternatively, the problem could be a rent increase, as you stated, or something else entirely. I do hope that we can find out the full story soon.

I would appreciate being welcomed in this discussion, since like all of us, I care deeply about the neighborhood and its future. All of us sense that change is afoot, and I expressed my fears - fears that might have led me to misinterpret this situation, but that are nonetheless not unfounded.

Online lalochezia

• Mayor
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2018, 11:34:54 PM »
who is the landlord?

what else do they own?

Offline pajarita

• Tourist
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2018, 11:52:12 PM »
The landlord is "76 01 37TH AVE REALTY" and is based in Scottsdale, Arizona, according to this page: https://www.newyorkbusinessgo.com/company/456613/. With a name like that, we can't figure out if the landlord owns more than one property (LLC obscurity, as always). The management company (Tongs realty) seems to manage properties throughout the city, though I can't find too much information on them.

Offline abcdefghijk

• Mayor
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2018, 12:08:49 PM »
jeanette - My post was written in clear language that stated what I know is just what I've heard - some information gathered while talking to people on the block (and hearing from a credible source). For fear of repercussions to anybody involved, I don't want to give names since what I'm discussing is just what I've heard. My further writing was a personal reflection/commentary on the situation in the case that this is true.

abcdefghijk - I understand your apprehension towards a new poster, however I've been a member of the site for almost one year and simply haven't posted until now. The recency of my membership to this site does not bear on the veracity of my input in this community discussion. The beauty of El Rico Tinto was that it catered to all in the neighborhood, including new comers/gentrifiers, without compromising on its authenticity. Perhaps I could've been more clear in my first post that I simply was conveying information that I had found while looking for answers.

ljr - Thank you for being forthright and sharing your knowledge - I wanted to start a conversation and that has happened. My commentary was based on that information I heard, which is clearly not all wrong if you have corroborated the complaints from the co-op. I am happy to know that the complaints weren't directed towards ERT, though the landlord may have pinned the problem on them. Alternatively, the problem could be a rent increase, as you stated, or something else entirely. I do hope that we can find out the full story soon.

I would appreciate being welcomed in this discussion, since like all of us, I care deeply about the neighborhood and its future. All of us sense that change is afoot, and I expressed my fears - fears that might have led me to misinterpret this situation, but that are nonetheless not unfounded.

I believe that telling tales about disharmony between Gringos and non-Gringos is never a positive stance.

Offline sl

• Council Member
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2018, 03:14:42 PM »

I believe that telling tales about disharmony between Gringos and non-Gringos is never a positive stance.

Don't use the g-word.

Offline abcdefghijk

• Mayor
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2018, 04:17:38 PM »

Don't use the g-word.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=gringo

Offline divanatrix

• Council Member
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2018, 04:20:18 PM »
I’m mostly concerned about the cat at GF. Hope it isn’t still inside.  >:(

Offline jh35

• Activist
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2018, 04:47:06 PM »
I’m mostly concerned about the cat at GF. Hope it isn’t still inside.  >:(

Are you afraid it might be eaten by the rats?

Offline pajarita

• Tourist
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2018, 05:45:36 PM »

I believe that open dialogue on very real issues, though uncomfortable for some, can be a positive tool that brings about discourse and may clear up misunderstandings.

To reiterate, like all those involved, I care deeply about the neighborhood and hope that all residents (both current and future; "gringo" and "non-gringo" because those two are not mutually exclusive) can respect the spirit of JH. And yes, IMO, it may entail discussing accounts of disharmony that shouldn't be disregarded. 

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2018, 05:45:36 PM »