Author Topic: Growing Farm  (Read 8667 times)

Offline hagsrus

• Activist
Growing Farm
« on: September 21, 2018, 04:05:58 PM »
The shutters were down when I went by a couple of hours ago, and there was a Marshall's notice saying the landlord was in possession of the premises.

I hope it's just a temporary problem - it's a regular stop for me!

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
Re: Growing Farm 76-31 37th Ave shuttered
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2018, 04:18:56 PM »
same thing just happened to me at Rico Tinto, which is distressing. if it's the same landlord, he/she may be trying to empty places?

Offline dotley

• Council Member
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2018, 05:34:12 PM »
Growing farms has a cat. I hope they didn't leave her in the store!

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2018, 06:05:14 PM »
the workers wouldn't have. they dote on her.

Online abcdefghijk

• Mayor
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2018, 10:18:03 PM »
I wonder if it's due to the incredible proliferation of fruit carts...
Which are really convenient and open 24/7.

I used to shop @ Growing Farm... but the fruit carts on Roosevelt and by the Roosevelt subway are simply more convenient...and always seem to be a bargain.

Offline carrefour_ny

• Mayor
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2018, 11:36:25 PM »
Following up dssjh’s comment, I note that many businesses on that block have been shuttering. Next to the deli on 76th was Al Araf; that’s now closed. The building next to it was going to house Swim Two Birds; then there is the old photo shop; I noticed earlier this week that his window display has been removed, and looks like it’s in transition. Rico Tinto and Growing Farm have been shuttered today. That leaves the bodega and the laundromat, aside from the two corner businesses (HSBC and the deli on the corner of 76th. Looked that way and without having done any research, I wonder if other plans are afoot on that block.

Offline lalochezia

• Mayor
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2018, 11:52:13 PM »
Who owns the building?
 Who's the landlord?
   What is afoot?
    Internet sleuths -  have at it!

Offline ljr

• Council Member
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2018, 09:52:20 AM »
Al-Araf changed hands (I think) and is being changed to an Indonesian restaurant. I saw inside the other day, and it looks like the renovation is well along. That space has regularly changed hands over the past few years. I asked the proprietor of the bodega today if he knew anything about the closings, and he said no, but it's what happens when you don't pay the rent, and he went on a bit about how hard it is to pay everything you have to pay (including wages) to keep a business going. He said both Growing Farm and El Rico Tinto were good neighbors with nice owners. Maybe it's a cash flow problem and not permanent, we can hope, I guess. Soon we will have wall-to-wall pharmacies and banks and literally nothing else. The poster who said the whole block is closing exaggerated. There is still the corner deli and the pizza place, and -yes-the bank. I have to say that JH isn't even as bad as Manhattan in terms of empty storefronts now.It's a citywide problem.

Online abcdefghijk

• Mayor
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2018, 10:37:34 AM »
Al-Araf changed hands (I think) and is being changed to an Indonesian restaurant. I saw inside the other day, and it looks like the renovation is well along. That space has regularly changed hands over the past few years. I asked the proprietor of the bodega today if he knew anything about the closings, and he said no, but it's what happens when you don't pay the rent, and he went on a bit about how hard it is to pay everything you have to pay (including wages) to keep a business going. He said both Growing Farm and El Rico Tinto were good neighbors with nice owners. Maybe it's a cash flow problem and not permanent, we can hope, I guess. Soon we will have wall-to-wall pharmacies and banks and literally nothing else. The poster who said the whole block is closing exaggerated. There is still the corner deli and the pizza place, and -yes-the bank. I have to say that JH isn't even as bad as Manhattan in terms of empty storefronts now.It's a citywide problem.

I also have a feeling it's a rent issue rather than a malevolent action to do with bringing in more Gringo-style establishments.

Offline itsit

• Council Member
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2018, 11:42:46 AM »
 This is a real sad issue for the neighborhood. Personally, I have always paid rent or mortgage before anything else knowing that you can get booted out if you don't keep up with payments. But I know a number of people who do the opposite and some who withhold as leverage for getting things done. I like both Growing Farm and El Rinco Tinto alot and think they are stellar establishments as consumer for various reasons. Was recently on Metropolitan Ave near Forest Hills and they have some wonderfully diverse storefronts that look like they would be paying much lower rents than here.

Offline Simka

• Council Member
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2018, 03:56:04 PM »
I suspect their leases were up recently and they got mega increases they couldn't pay.  :(

Offline Breezie

• Council Member
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2018, 06:29:46 PM »
Has the empanada place opened its doors yet?

Offline ljr

• Council Member
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2018, 09:24:20 PM »
Someone told me they thought the rent was around $6000 for those stores. Is this a mega-increase?

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2018, 10:33:31 PM »
the rent was around 6000. that's probably pre increase, if an increase is in the picture. the GNC is now paying 9000, for a space that was 4500. heck, the dry cleaner that occupied the space before Paradise Biryani Pointe (which gave way to Al Araf) was paying $3000 before being priced out with an increase to $6000.

Offline lmaniace

• Council Member
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2018, 09:42:46 AM »
Rico Tinto's closing is very upsetting.We always thought it was one of the best restaurants in Jackson Heights. We were there a week ago Saturday, introduced it to some friends, who loved it,  and had a lovely conversation with the waitress and the chef/partner.
Along with the number of now-empty storefronts, as previously noted here lots of the older store signs were removed from the building and replaced with temporary-looking vinyl signs. Something is going on.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2018, 09:42:46 AM »