Author Topic: The ongoing trash issues at 73rd St. and Diversity Plaza  (Read 970 times)

Offline JHMNY

• Global Moderator
  • Activist
The ongoing trash issues at 73rd St. and Diversity Plaza
« on: August 09, 2018, 12:49:49 PM »
Littering continues to be a problem along 73rd Street and at Diversity Plaza. Here's a recent photo posted by the Jackson Heights Beautification Group to its Instagram account.

Offline Jeffsayyes

• Mayor
    • Jeffrey Tastes
Re: The ongoing trash issues at 73rd St. and Diversity Plaza
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2018, 01:28:46 PM »
Well, there's no trash pickup at 73rd and 37th ave, so the city isn't that committed to it. Yes, lots of people just throw crap on the floor, but also the trash from the buildings are put out and trash piles up on them and the garbage people just throw whatever they can grab in the truck so it also goes on the floor.

I am not sure what to do other than: Get public trash cans on 73/37 and have a better system for trash pickup like you gotta put it in closed barrels or all in bags or businesses have to have trash cans outside their buildings.

Offline am315

• Citizen
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2018, 01:34:33 PM »
I happen to think 73rd Street is the dirtiest street in the city.

As a newcomer to the nabe (2+ years), I have never seen a street so consistently dirty. It's sad.

I think it's time to DO something.

Here is what I suggest: A group of  us should go directly to the Queens dept of sanitation officials and get someone in charge to come to the neighborhood, take a tour and discuss solutions.

I will try to figure out who's in charge for our area and post more info.

Thoughts?

Offline JHMNY

• Global Moderator
  • Activist
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2018, 01:37:48 PM »
Well, there's no trash pickup at 73rd and 37th ave, so the city isn't that committed to it. Yes, lots of people just throw crap on the floor, but also the trash from the buildings are put out and trash piles up on them and the garbage people just throw whatever they can grab in the truck so it also goes on the floor.

I agree, Jeffsayyes. The photo on the left appears to be trash left over after a sanitation truck pick-up.  Also, it happens to be near the stained area on the sidewalk... I think that may be where the trash is put out for pick-up. The other photo seems to be outright littering.

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2018, 01:38:31 PM »
getting trash cans would be the biggest help. some of the storeowners are diligent about cleaning, others could care less. i'm sure they get fined already -- when we were homeowners on 75th street, we'd get a fine once every six months or so because a candy wrapper blew onto our sidewalk.

Offline Jeffsayyes

• Mayor
    • Jeffrey Tastes
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2018, 10:23:58 PM »
trash begets trash

Offline JK resident

• Activist
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2018, 08:31:47 AM »
I am sure 73rd is cleaner than many streets in Flushing. That garbage is dropped by commuters and visitors to the area because they eliminated trash cans on the corner of 37th and 73rd. It is about to get worse with the Apna Bazar expansion that is opening onto 73rd Street. Everyone knew that Diversity Plaza would become a magnet for garbage. Those Doe fund workers were struggling to clean the planters yesterday. A never ending job. This Plaza is new, imagine five or ten years later how awful these things will look. Now people will complain for years how it is dirty and the homeless have taken over. No surprises here folks!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 08:38:38 AM by JK resident »

Offline JacksonHeightsCPA

• Tourist
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2018, 11:31:26 AM »
I walk down this street daily on the way to the subway.  It's like this every day and not just on trash pickup days.  73rd street makes Diversity Plaza look spotless.

The Birchwood Terrace did a nice renovation where they have this faux lawn out front.  It would look nice if there wasn't empty beer cans tossed onto it every morning...believe it was a Foster's (Australian for beer) tall boy this morning.

Offline am315

• Citizen
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2018, 11:37:04 AM »
No matter who drops the trash, no matter where it comes from, we really need to do something to change it.

I'm trying to arrange a meeting with the Queens district manager for the Dept of Sanitation.

Offline JH3525

• Council Member
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2018, 11:50:43 AM »
The two Cooperative and businesses on 73rd Street should form a 73rd Street Association and hire someone for 3 hours a day x 7 days = 21 hours X $15.00 = $315.00 a week.  The amount of each cooperative and the businesses would be very small.   Even if the businesses didn't cooperate, the two cooperative should cover the cost which is $8190.00 a year for each.  If I was an owner in either cooperative, I would strongly support it.  I don't have a lot of confidence in meeting with the Sanitation Department, City Officials or Politicians. 

Offline Paul11372

• Citizen
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2018, 12:34:18 PM »
The two Cooperative and businesses on 73rd Street should form a 73rd Street Association and hire someone for 3 hours a day x 7 days = 21 hours X $15.00 = $315.00 a week.  The amount of each cooperative and the businesses would be very small.   Even if the businesses didn't cooperate, the two cooperative should cover the cost which is $8190.00 a year for each.  If I was an owner in either cooperative, I would strongly support it.  I don't have a lot of confidence in meeting with the Sanitation Department, City Officials or Politicians.

Why should private citizens have to pay for the upkeep of a public space they were steam rolled into paying for in the first place?

Keep your hope, I'll keep my change

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2018, 01:13:28 PM »
why should private citizens pay to have trash pickup at your home?  you, Paul11372, should be charged by the pound.

why should private citizens without cars pay for upkeep of streets?

why should private citizens who don't use public transportation pay to subsidize that?

why should the childless pay for schools?

why should people get social security above and beyond what they paid in during their lifetimes? cut them off, right?

Offline Paul11372

• Citizen
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2018, 01:24:55 PM »
why should private citizens pay to have trash pickup at your home?  you, Paul11372, should be charged by the pound.

why should private citizens without cars pay for upkeep of streets?

why should private citizens who don't use public transportation pay to subsidize that?

why should the childless pay for schools?

why should people get social security above and beyond what they paid in during their lifetimes? cut them off, right?

The current NYC taxes we all currently pay, include the Sanitation Dept. Budget. As such, we don't need a private entity to subsidize what we're already paid for in the public sector, on public land.

Clearly, if the city government was functioning properly this would be a moot point.

I do agree with by the pound. Fat people should be charged more by airlines. :)

Offline JH3525

• Council Member
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2018, 01:26:50 PM »
There are 244 units in the 2 cooperatives on 73rd St.  The cost for each unit owner would be about $1.30 a week which is about 19 cents a day.  I would happily pay this tiny amount and not have to face all that trash everyday.
The business owners who don't live on 73 Street would most likely not contribute but at 19 cents a day you don't need their support.  Yes, the cooperative owners on 73rd St are paying for clean streets but not getting it and never will. 

Offline Paul11372

• Citizen
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2018, 01:30:46 PM »
There are 244 units in the 2 cooperatives on 73rd St.  The cost for each unit owner would be about $1.30 a week which is about 19 cents a day.  I would happily pay this tiny amount and not have to face all that trash everyday.
The business owners who don't live on 73 Street would most likely not contribute but at 19 cents a day you don't need their support.  Yes, the cooperative owners on 73rd St are paying for clean streets but not getting it and never will.

Unless you live there, is that your place to say?

perhaps I want your house to be pink, go paint it.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2018, 01:30:46 PM »