Author Topic: Mamma Rosa's Pizza  (Read 3527 times)

Offline lalochezia

• Mayor
Re: Mamma Rosa's opening and samples
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2018, 03:11:00 PM »
I walked by last night and saw the former Mario's Pizzeria manager/leaseholder there. As a matter of fact, I saw him a few times  by the storefront during the "renovation."  My guess is that Mario's Pizza has been rebranded. If so, keeping fingers crossed for good pizza second time around.

oh good another generic pizza place for jh. just what we need.

Offline abcdefghijk

• Council Member
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2018, 03:33:58 PM »
Hey I wish these guys well.

But walked by and saw their hastily scrawled sign and didn't go in.

Presentation to do with food is very important.

I figure if they can't be bothered to create a nice sign to entice folks, then they're not really going to care that much about their pizza either.

There's simply way too much competition in NYC... so unfortunately, a place that doesn't go for excellence from the start isn't going to cut it for me...

Offline abcdefghijk

• Council Member
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2018, 03:56:20 PM »
Case in point, even those joints who sell $1 a slice pizza in Manhattan, have perfectly good signs...

Offline StevenGrey

• Council Member
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2018, 07:48:08 AM »
Case in point, even those joints who sell $1 a slice pizza in Manhattan, have perfectly good signs...

Yes, well I've eaten $1 a slice pizza in a pinch and can tell you I was still overcharged!

Offline Lilybell

• Mayor
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2018, 09:49:06 AM »
Does a cornmeal crust mean it's gluten-free?

No, they just put it on the bottom to prevent sticking instead of flour. It just completely ruins the texture of the crust.  Monsters!  ;) 

I've stopped eating anything with flour so I've been making do with cauliflower crust pizza or a version made with melted cheese and almond flour. I have only had real pizza once in the last 8 months. So at this point, even cornmeal pizza would probably taste like heaven to me.

Offline abcdefghijk

• Council Member
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2018, 10:25:31 AM »
Well, they improved their sign!

May give them a go now...

Offline JHMNY

• Global Moderator
  • Council Member
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2018, 11:50:26 AM »
Mamma Rosa's has posted a menu on the window. It looks like that apart from pies and slices, they'll also be preparing pasta dishes.

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2018, 12:28:29 PM »
pastas and some entrees, as well as veggie sides. and there's a footnote that they have a gluten free pie, "only in 12" size" (a note that makes me think the gluten free crust may be premade).

Offline hfm

• Council Member
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2018, 08:36:41 PM »
Mario's also had a gluten-free crust. It was frozen pre-made crust. It's somewhat odd they had a note for "Argentinian" style pizza given the previously posted conversation. Weird and cagey sounding answer for that.

Offline JDinJH

• Activist
Re: Mamma Rosa's Pizza
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2018, 04:52:03 PM »
I went to Mama Rosa's when they first opened.  I was not too crazy about the cornmeal on the crust.  I went back today and the pizza was excellent - no cornmeal or undetectable.  It had a crispy crust, non-acidic flavorful tomato sauce, perfect amounts of high quality mozzarella cheese, and it was also cooked to perfection in a brick oven.  I let my companion have a bite and she also agreed that it was excellent.  I am ecstatic that we finally have a really good pizzeria in the neighborhood.  I hope they get a beer and wine license soon. 

Offline hfm

• Council Member
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2018, 11:11:05 PM »
I went to Mama Rosa's when they first opened.  I was not too crazy about the cornmeal on the crust.  I went back today and the pizza was excellent - no cornmeal or undetectable.  It had a crispy crust, non-acidic flavorful tomato sauce, perfect amounts of high quality mozzarella cheese, and it was also cooked to perfection in a brick oven.  I let my companion have a bite and she also agreed that it was excellent.  I am ecstatic that we finally have a really good pizzeria in the neighborhood.  I hope they get a beer and wine license soon.

When I think Brick Oven, I think a nice wood-fired one. When I pass by I just see chrome everywhere. It looks like just a regular old pizza oven, is it just brick on the inside or something?

Offline Jhx

• Citizen
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2018, 11:13:44 PM »
Your right, I believe a brick oven is just that. An oven with bricks, and gas....

Offline francis

• Mayor
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2018, 03:00:27 PM »
Just had a slice  of pizza and I have to say, IMHO, I think its the best slice in JH.  The cornmeal is quite traditional in some regions of Italy and can be had especially in Bologna, where food is king. Curious to see how the pastas and other dishes "pan" out

Offline pipman

• Activist
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2018, 08:36:52 PM »
Tried the slices two nights ago.  Tasted the one that they called Margarita and one they called Grandmothers--I think the only difference was the sauce.  Agree that the slice was tasty--good sauce.  I prefer a lighter crust, but I think with Mamma Rosa's at 77th and Sac's at 87th my pizza cravings are satisfied on 37th Avenue.

Offline European

• Citizen
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2018, 06:23:33 PM »
Liked the pizza, maybe the best in the neighborhood, although something's bothering me with the cheese, like it is a bit acid, I don't know how to explain.
Also, when I took 3 slices home, they packed it in a paper bag instead of a small box, and it was real struggle to take it home and not ruin the topping. Strange.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2018, 06:23:33 PM »