Poll

Are you happy that the Sterling bank site was sold?

Yes
11 (40.7%)
No
9 (33.3%)
Don’t care
7 (25.9%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Author Topic: Sterling Bank property sold and will be demolished  (Read 3510 times)

Offline JK resident

• Council Member
Sterling Bank property sold and will be demolished
« on: July 16, 2018, 03:28:43 PM »
It seems that the site located at 73rd and Broadway has been sold. The developer plans to demolish the site. I guess he liked the new Diversity Plaza because he paid over $50 million. I guess I was right that the bank didn’t like having those food carts and their parking lot being used by non customers.  The bank plans to move to another location in the neighborhood.

Online dssjh

• Mayor
Re: Sterling Bank property sold and will be demolished
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2018, 03:40:36 PM »
proof that we need to ban cars.

Offline JK resident

• Council Member
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2018, 03:46:52 PM »
I think it is more proof that the spike in land prices in LIC has caused developers to study the subway map and look at land one subway stop over. The rents in LIC are out of control so it really was just a matter of time before more development came to Jackson Heights.

Offline am315

• Activist
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2018, 04:15:12 PM »
JK is spot on. The building is kind of an eyesore and I bet what will replace it will be a taller mixed-use building with apartments and stores. The question is can the neighborhood really withstand more density?

Offline Alfster

• Activist
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2018, 07:12:27 PM »
It seems that the site located at 73rd and Broadway has been sold. The developer plans to demolish the site. I guess he liked the new Diversity Plaza because he paid over $50 million. I guess I was right that the bank didn’t like having those food carts and their parking lot being used by non customers.  The bank plans to move to another location in the neighborhood.

JK Resident, from now on, I'm gonna call you Rasputin.  I for one and happy to have this property redeveloped.  Hopefully, there will some quality affordable housing options for the diverse neighborhood of which we are all a part of.  Of course, I hope that they'll keep those crappy food carts off that corner as well.  #progress

Online dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2018, 08:19:54 PM »
and no more of that illicit parking!

Offline JK resident

• Council Member
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2018, 09:06:30 PM »
This backs up what I was referring to about LIC is out of control. Where are our politicians calling for a moratorium on construction?

https://licpost.com/nolan-demands-moratorium-on-new-lic-developments-after-news-of-queens-tallest-building

Offline Alfster

• Activist
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2018, 10:45:18 PM »

Yes, less cars and more monorail!

Offline JHResident

• Citizen
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2018, 10:56:04 PM »
I don't follow your logic. This site is very expensive and Sterling is not doing the kind of volume that Long Island or Astoria did in the same location. The overhead in JH is tremendous with all the counterfeit bills being passed and the drug money being laundered. I'm fairly certain Sterling will move to a smaller location with lower taxes or rent. I think this is just another case of a property being worth more than the business and Sterling having a hard time competing with the larger banks. But this is just a hunch on my part. Maybe they really are closing because the restaurant next door is parking his customers' cars in the lot after banking hours.

Offline JK resident

• Council Member
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2018, 07:13:42 AM »
It costs too much in property taxes to operate that location. Banks are in the business of lending money not developing real estate. Can’t wait for all those food carts to be gone. Hopefully it will control the rat population and clean the area.

Offline suebe

• Resident
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2018, 03:51:47 PM »
This makes me a little sad. When we were kids at PS 69 we had our Christmas Club accounts there. Dad used to take my brothers and me to his safe deposit box in the lower level there; it was such a mysterious place. And I had a painting hanging in an exhibit in the lobby when I was about 10.

But...progress.

Offline JK resident

• Council Member
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2018, 04:20:29 PM »
That 72nd Street building has opened many eyes as to what built. Now the big developers will move in.

Offline homeowner

• Council Member
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2018, 08:02:17 PM »
Wait till all the poor schmoes who pay $3,000++ try to get on the 7 anywhere past 46th Street!  The train is so overcrowded now I can't imagine what all that LIC construction will do.  Plus, all the new buildings at the other end on Main Street.

Online dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2018, 09:15:07 PM »

put North Haverbrook on the map, eh?

actually, i was referencing the OP's note that Sterling was sick of non customers using the lot. if there were no cars, that problem would be eliminated!

Offline Paul11372

• Activist
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2018, 07:48:43 AM »

put North Haverbrook on the map, eh?

actually, i was referencing the OP's note that Sterling was sick of non customers using the lot. if there were no cars, that problem would be eliminated!
Dont forget Ogdenville and Brockway

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2018, 07:48:43 AM »