Author Topic: Elected Officials Call for End of Clear Curbs Project on Roosevelt Ave.  (Read 525 times)

Online lalochezia

• Mayor
https://jacksonheightspost.com/elected-officials-call-for-end-of-clear-curbs-project-on-roosevelt-ave

from the comments in the article
Clear curbs is the best idea we had implemented in Jackson heights in a while! Shop wonders need to understand that their delivery time is BEFORE business hours as it works like that all over the world. Clear curbs made it possible to take buses and taxis on roosevelt. Also a lot of residents who drive are not stuck for 20 minutes to move10 blocks anymore. They should extend this program for the whole roosevelt Ave from Sunnyside to Grand central.

Online lalochezia

• Mayor

I would add that Rosevelt was a stinking gridlocked traffic jam, with trucks and large vehicles idling and making it inhospitable and unhealthy. This idling traffic directly impacts the health of JH and Elmhurst residents due to increased local pollution. The positive difference is astonishing. 

Don't sacrifice your constituents health at the altar of businesses who need to change their delivery schedules.

Offline CaptainFlannel

• Mayor
Best thing to do to make your opinion known is to call your local elected official.

Online lalochezia

• Mayor
Danny Dromm: dromm@council.nyc.gov

Fransisco Moya: FMoya@council.nyc.gov

---

Email these reps and tell them something like this

Before clean curbs Roosevelt was a stinking gridlocked traffic jam, with dozens of trucks, cars and other and large vehicles idling and making it inhospitable and unhealthy.

This idling traffic directly impacted the health of JH and Elmhurst residents - especially street vendors and local business workers -  due to increased local air pollution.

Now, commuters in and out of the transportation hub can leave more quickly and aren't exposed to the fumes of trucks.

Thousands of constituent’s lives are also improved because they are not stuck in traffic when riding the bus, taxi or driving their cars.  This directly impacts people in your district who commute - they have to spend less time on their way to work, and can spend more time with their families.

If businesses are having problems with the new setup, help them adapt, but  don’t sacrifice your constituents health and efficient public transport to help local businesses.

Offline JK resident

• Activist
I think they went too far. It should be only one side of the street in the morning and the other side (Flushing bound) in the afternoon.

Offline am315

• Citizen
This statement from Moya in the story shows just how out of touch he is:
“Clear Curbs has decimated business along Roosevelt Avenue,” said Moya. “Small business owners here fear they may have to shutter their shops before the pilot program even wraps up in a few months.”

Business is thriving on Roosevelt. There's zero evidence stores are going to close. The test restores some order to the strip. I walk on Roosevelt during the morning hours and virtually none of the stores are open during the car ban period. In the evening it ends at 7pm just when Roosvelt is booming. Before then, most drivers are still at work.

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
I think they went too far. It should be only one side of the street in the morning and the other side (Flushing bound) in the afternoon.

this seems like a really good solution.

Offline missmarty

• Council Member
Isn't Roosevelt considered one of the highest foot-trafficked corridors in America? Hasn't Moya heard that? Using a word like  "decimated' is a gross exaggeration that serves no informative purpose. Let's see numbers? who's lost business?
I agree that Clear Curbs has been successful. I live right off Roosevelt on 85th and the corners have short term parking spots that delivery trucks are using to place items on hand trucks for local delivery. I love seeing it and hope it inspires small deliveries by cargo bike. Biking on Roosevelt, by the way- has become a dream come true during clear curb hours. For years, long distance commuting cyclists have used it to head to Corona and beyond- in 10 years, I had seen 7 crashes with injuries at my corner, yet none recently.

Moya would be in better service by occasionally walking Roosevelt himself and discovering the crime, sanitation concerns, racketeering and cluttered storefronts that need improving. He could also try to address the dangerous diagonal pedestrian crosswalks that are a confusion to drivers and walkers alike. He could be innovative and put in mid-block crosswalks and check the signal timing of the red lights. Since clear curbs, the reds are longer and pedestrians get impatient.

Offline ShinjukuBaby

• Activist
I emailed Dromm.

Jackson Heights Life