Author Topic: New development coming to Northern Blvd  (Read 803 times)

Offline JK resident

• Council Member

Offline theplanesland

• Mayor
Re: New development coming to Northern Blvd
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2018, 10:28:46 AM »
Yet another development comes to JH!

https://jacksonheightspost.com/large-parcel-containing-auto-shops-in-jackson-heights-to-be-developed

97th Street is Jackson Heights? In what highly elastic world is that true?

Offline lmaniace

• Council Member
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2018, 11:47:27 AM »
Whether you count that as JH or not, the point the area is in danger of a building boom no seen since the '50s and 60s. And as I've noted, we (11372) are one of the densest zip coede in NYC and the densest outside of of Manhattan.
BTW, the CPC approved four extra floors on the "Target" building yesterda. Now it goes the the City Council where tradition holds that the Council member in whose district the zone change resides gets the final word. In this case, however, Elmhurst Hospoital sites in Councilman Dromm's district and some believe he has reasonable cause to chime in. 

Offline theplanesland

• Mayor
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2018, 12:40:52 PM »
Whether you count that as JH or not, the point the area is in danger of a building boom no seen since the '50s and 60s. And as I've noted, we (11372) are one of the densest zip coede in NYC and the densest outside of of Manhattan.
BTW, the CPC approved four extra floors on the "Target" building yesterda. Now it goes the the City Council where tradition holds that the Council member in whose district the zone change resides gets the final word. In this case, however, Elmhurst Hospoital sites in Councilman Dromm's district and some believe he has reasonable cause to chime in.

I wouldn't consider a building boom in a city which people have been flooding into, to be a 'danger.' I would consider it to be a relief - helping to prevent us from turning into a place like the Bay Area, where it's effectively impossible to build anything and so supply and demand has made living expenses even worse than in NY. I'm glad that some buildings are going up to house the people and serve the businesses that a growing city demands, as opposed to just having more people competing for the same number of apartments.

Offline JK resident

• Council Member
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2018, 01:02:04 PM »
I see that the Sunoco gas station has closed on 71st. Is that being sold for development?

Offline lmaniace

• Council Member
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2018, 01:49:45 PM »
No worry that it will be impossible to build in NYC. Builders are the most powerful lobby in the city.

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2018, 01:27:34 PM »
Yet another development comes to JH!

https://jacksonheightspost.com/large-parcel-containing-auto-shops-in-jackson-heights-to-be-developed

97th Street is Jackson Heights? In what highly elastic world is that true?

Maybe they were reading this site, because the article has been changed to say "Corona" instead of Jackson Heights.

Online dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2018, 03:01:55 PM »
that site seems odd, in that it's not particularly attractive in terms of area, and VERY inconvenient as far as transportation.

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2018, 12:45:07 AM »
that site seems odd, in that it's not particularly attractive in terms of area, and VERY inconvenient as far as transportation.

There's already been some new construction in the general vicinity -- apparently condos or apartment, and health clubs. One at 106th/Northern and the other at 98th/Northern. Google maps shows a 13 minute walk from this site to the 7 train at Junction Blvd. Maybe it's not the shortest walk to transit in the world, but also not horrendously long.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2018, 12:45:07 AM »