Author Topic: The Amenities Game  (Read 1385 times)

Offline itsit

• Council Member
The Amenities Game
« on: June 13, 2018, 05:48:00 PM »
 Am wondering what the current (or long standing) amenities are that co-op residents like the most about their building?
Is it a service or a physical circumstance? Do you pay more for this or has it always been included? Is your building
planning anything requested by shareholders? A recent conversation overheard in our elevator between a realtor and
prospective buyers got me thinking...

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
Re: The Amenities Game
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 06:10:14 PM »
i live in an old-school co-op (been here for 16 years, and it was well established by then). the only extras are storage/bike room and those are surcharged.

would like to hear input from others as well.

Offline frances

• Citizen
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 09:13:21 PM »
My building has the standard three--bike room, storage (waitlisted, of course) and grumpy live-in super. But we also have a music practice room, which was a huge reason that we bought here.

Offline Jeffsayyes

• Mayor
    • Jeffrey Tastes
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2018, 11:03:32 PM »
Laundry room is great.

Many of the gardens are "quiet entertainment." I never hang out in our "garden" because I don't want anyone looking at me and complaining about whatever stupid thing they might choose to. I do not utilize our storage room because I don't want to pay a fee.

Rooftop access would be great. Parking would be amazing (but would i want to pay for it?).

Offline CaptainFlannel

• Mayor
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2018, 07:28:55 AM »
^Not having to rush home before 4:30 pm in order to find street parking within a reasonable walking distance is a game changer if you have a car. Not having to deal with obnoxious drivers behind you who get mad and honk their horn at you as you look for a parking space and then attempt to parallel park is nice. Not having to deal with drivers who think they can't get by you as you set yourself up to parallel park (even though they have 2 feet of clearance) or who refuse to give you the space to actually back in to a spot is awfully nice.

Offline petegart

• Activist
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2018, 08:20:20 AM »
We live in the Greystones.  Our live in Supers are terrific! 
Every Mon - Fri @7:30pm, they send the dumbwaiter for trash pickup. 
We frequently utilize the back garden, because it is usually quiet, and cooler than the street.
We have a small laundry room, and we each have a no-cost storage space in the basement.

Offline Lilybell

• Mayor
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2018, 10:42:44 AM »
I'm excited that Washington Plaza is building a nice gym and that it's going to be free for everyone (for now at least - the tenants who rent will never have to pay but there's a chance the board will vote to make the owners pay at some point). It won't be ready for at least another year, though.

We do have storage rooms and we're getting a bike room. Storage is not free and there's a waiting list (I think it's $50 a month).

We have two laundry rooms and a fantastic live-in super.

Offline JH3525

• Council Member
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2018, 11:56:28 AM »
I don't live at Terrace View (7910 34th Ave) but I know someone who does.  They have 18 hour Doorman, Bike Room, Gym, Storage, Laundry Room & Indoor Parking.  It's also handicap friendly with no steps entering the lobby and after you enter the lobby.  Plus its an ultra prime area home to The Towers, Chateau and Elm Court.  Plus many of the large units have Terraces.  It doesn't get any better than this living in Jackson Heights. 

Offline wlirfan

• Activist
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2018, 12:00:55 PM »
Our building is pretty no frills, but we have a live-in super, free incredibly large storage rooms in the basement (I mean, the size of a Manhattan hotel room) and some back yard space with seating and a grill (although on concrete).  If it had parking, it would be perfect, but alas.

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2018, 01:18:31 PM »
i never even considered our super to be among the amenities, but he's wonderful, live-in, and always willing to help, even on an off day. the part-time porter also does a terrific job.

there was roof access in our building at one point, and the 'meeting room' downstairs was available for use by shareholders, but the board nixed both of those, one for obvious liability reasons, the other because ... well, because they can.

Offline ljr

• Council Member
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2018, 03:03:31 PM »
I also don't think of a live-in super as an amenity--I think it's a fairly standard part of the deal in most coops. Regarding the commenter on Terrace View--isn't there a long wait list for parking? That's one thing to keep an eye out for in buildings that have parking. Sometimes it takes years to get in. Also, what is the "best" for one person may not be the best for another in terms of amenities. Terrace View has a doorman and a gym and a parking garage and handicap access, yes, which are all great—but it does not have a garden, and that was an amenity we dearly wanted when we moved here, especially because there are no real parks in Jackson Heights. So the garden trumped the doorman, etc, in our view. And we would much rather have the garden than a terrace that looks out over the street. Honestly, I don't think I have ever seen anyone on one of the terraces in that building. Nobody uses them.

We not only have the garden to sit in and walk around, we have garden views from the apartment--a big amenity in my opinion. Also, we like being closer to 37th Avenue than Terrace View, the Chateau, Elm Court, or the Towers are. We are much closer to the subway hub at 74th and Roosevelt, and we are very close to the supermarkets, the dry cleaners, the fruit stores, the post office, E77 and other restaurants, Table Wine, etc. We are still thrilled at how fast we can run errands here--everything we need is so close.

We also have a free storage space in the basement and a laundry room.  A roof garden would be nice--but that's never going to happen here. Some buildings in JH do have roof gardens, though. Not sure how they can get around the insurance issues, but I have been to one (The Manchester) and it's really lovely. That's one to keep in mind--they don't have a garden but do have a really nice, landscaped common space on the roof.

Offline Minimal4me

• Council Member
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2018, 07:58:03 AM »
Parking and storage have changed my life.

Offline jh35

• Activist
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2018, 08:17:40 AM »
I don't live at Terrace View (7910 34th Ave) but I know someone who does.  They have 18 hour Doorman, Bike Room, Gym, Storage, Laundry Room & Indoor Parking.  It's also handicap friendly with no steps entering the lobby and after you enter the lobby.  Plus its an ultra prime area home to The Towers, Chateau and Elm Court.  Plus many of the large units have Terraces.  It doesn't get any better than this living in Jackson Heights.

Terrace View has a history of harassing and suing gay families who owned apartments in that building. I know this first hand.

Terrace View was found guilty of harassing gays by the NYS Division of Human Rights.

Terrace View sued a gay family for putting a moulding in their bedroom.

Terrace View was sued for harrassing a gay family and for putting cameras outside their door.

Offline CaptainFlannel

• Mayor
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2018, 08:22:33 AM »
When my SO and I were looking at apartments with and without gardens, and with terraces, our realtor asked us to think realistically about how much we would use those amenities. A terrace is something you can use at all hours of the day and night, decorate to your own liking with plants, lights, etc. and step out on to enjoy a cup of coffee in the morning, an after work cocktail, hopefully have a nice view of some trees (or just your own flower box), grow vegetables and herbs on. A garden is a different animal, and when I walk by the Towers and the Chateau I am a bit envious as I peer in (however, I only rarely see people in them, but that could be because I'm not walking by at the right times).

Laundry in building doesn't seem like an amenity to me. Who wants to own a coop/condo and have to use a public laundromat? Laundry in-unit though...oh my, that would be lovely. I've been green with envy over a friend's new build condo with in-unit laundry.

Offline lalochezia

• Mayor
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2018, 08:35:20 AM »

Terrace View has a history of harassing and suing gay families who owned apartments in that building. I know this first hand.

Terrace View was found guilty of harassing gays by the NYS Division of Human Rights.

Terrace View sued a gay family for putting a moulding in their bedroom.

Terrace View was sued for harrassing a gay family and for putting cameras outside their door.

If you're going to make accusations like this, context - and evidence is needed. Assuming it's true, a  building doesn't keep the sins of it's staff forever.

When was this? Was it the board or building management or staff? Have the guilty parties been replaced in their roles, and has the organization cleaned house?

If they have, "terrace view" then is not like "terrace view" now, and people need to know that.

If they haven't, then publicize away! Sunlight is the best disinfectant.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2018, 08:35:20 AM »