Author Topic: BREAKING NEWS: Tennis Center's next land grab in Flushing Meadows-Corona Park  (Read 2086 times)

Online itsit

• Mayor
The true problem is that for one month a year, the carnival (the US Tennis Open) comes to town.

But for the rest of the 11 months that vast expanse and complex is wasteland.  Unused and out of bounds to the community. Pretty much deserted.

And the hard irony is that it sits on public land.  But forbidden to the public.

And on top of that, blocking access for the public to Flushing Meadow Park from Roosevelt Avenue.

Fact is, we in Queens, the public, get a raw deal
[/quote]

I think many people, certainly my family, feel this way. We have a lot difficulty getting to the pool and ice rink during that
month of US OPEN tennis and are made to feel like we are the outsiders visiting Flushing Meadows! I like tennis too but the
way that it is expected for the local to disappear especially in the late summer feels insulting. Also would still like to
see improvements to soccer fields in FM as that is really the most popular local sport as far as I can tell in this area.
And the soccer fields are mostly horrible.

Offline lmaniace

• Council Member
Some people made a similar argument that there was nothing wrong with putting up a huge shopping mall in the CitiField parking lot, even though that is also parkland.
A parking lot in a park may seem fair game for development, but NYS (and perhaps other places) sees parkland as special and that building upon it requires the state Legislature to pass a bill alienating park use.
Don't mean to preach, but parkland really is special. It's not just for our use now, but for those of future generations - so we need a different way of thinking about what happens to these places.
Using parkland as a parking lot doesn't have to be permanent. It's easy to tear up blacktop, but when significant-sized buildings are put up on parkland, practically speaking it's not likely to revert to parkland again.
I'd much rather see a swap with the more accessible Citifield parking lot turned into a true park and a parking structure for Citifield put up on the parking east of Roosevelt Ave. That would produce a big gain in real usable parkland.
A weird tangent: a few years ago NYC Parks reduced the size of Flushing Meadows Corona Park by roughly 100 acres, not because they diverted any land, but they remeasured the park and found it was smaller than they had long thought.
All the best.

Offline Alfster

• Activist
It would be nice if some of the USTA facilities could ha e a dual use nature and be used for other purposes during other times of the year.  Concerts anyone?  Perhaps USTA could pay more in rent?  Don't get me wrong.  The US Open brings in many tourists into the area who stay at local hotels, airbnbs, and frequent local area businesses.  There certainly is a benefit there. 

Offline abcdefghijk

• Mayor

I'd much rather see a swap with the more accessible Citifield parking lot turned into a true park and a parking structure for Citifield put up on the parking east of Roosevelt Ave. That would produce a big gain in real usable parkland.

That is a perfectly GREAT idea.

Offline lmaniace

• Council Member
Thanks abc...
If this were Manhattan or a fashionable section of Brooklyn, it would happen. We're Queens, so we have to fight getting screwed, let alone have some creative thinking applied to make things better.
All the best.

Offline abcdefghijk

• Mayor
Timing is everything.

In 20 years, I'll spearhead a movement to get this happening.

Queens will be ready by then!

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
unless it's decimated by the fascists via deportation. :'( >:(

Offline Jeffsayyes

• Mayor
    • Jeffrey Tastes
They should put some affordable housing above the stadiums

Offline SharedPlaces

• Tourist
I will take the unpopular side of the argument and support the USTA. I think they host a great event every year that only causes traffic for a few weeks but brings in millions in revenue for the city. They spend millions more building world class sports venues in Queens and actually bring prestige to the borough. They want to build a broadcast center in a parking lot used by MTA employees and pay property taxes, water, sewer to the city? Great! I am sure this could be used at other times if necessary. This was not even being used as part of the park. Then someone calls this a land grab? I think it is an investment in the tennis center to make a great event even better. I am sure Nassau County would love to host this event every year if they could.

The true problem is that for one month a year, the carnival (the US Tennis Open) comes to town.

But for the rest of the 11 months that vast expanse and complex is wasteland.  Unused and out of bounds to the community. Pretty much deserted.

And the hard irony is that it sits on public land.  But forbidden to the public.

And on top of that, blocking access for the public to Flushing Meadow Park from Roosevelt Avenue.

Fact is, we in Queens, the public, get a raw deal

There are so many ways the USTA could be relevant, open and inviting to its neighbors, the residents of Queens. There are a million examples from around the country. The fact that they choose time and time again to fill their pockets, while continuing to destroy our park is just a testament to what a terrible neighbor they are. Let them go to Nassau County so we can have a real park, which BTW needs an empowered community council, and a strong conservancy!

Offline JK resident

• Council Member

I agree. The stadiums could be used as a platform for towers for the poorest residents.

Offline abcdefghijk

• Mayor
unless it's decimated by the fascists via deportation. :'( >:(

DSSJH, I apologize for previous criticisms.

Truce!

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
truce!

and i will do my best to temper the snark.

Offline Alfster

• Activist

I agree. The stadiums could be used as a platform for towers for the poorest residents.

Oh, that would likely be an ugly building in the middle of an otherwise mediocre park.  :-/

Jackson Heights Life