Author Topic: New expanded mosque to be built in Jackson Heights (actually East Elmhurst)  (Read 1607 times)

Offline JK resident

• Activist
Wow this is such a nice building. We don’t have anything like this in Jackson Heights. Shouldn’t we encourage a similar structure to be built in Jackson Heights proper.

https://jacksonheightspost.com/islamic-center-of-jackson-heights-to-construct-new-mosque

Offline abcdefghijk

• Council Member
The First Amendment guarantees freedoms concerning religion, expression, assembly, and the right to petition.  It forbids Congress from both promoting one religion over others and also restricting an individual’s religious practices.  It guarantees freedom of expression by prohibiting Congress from restricting the press or the rights of individuals to speak freely.  It also guarantees the right of citizens to assemble peaceably and to petition their government.   

------------------------------------------

Hooray for the USA!!!!

Offline wlirfan

• Activist
I read some of the comments on this in another forum and they made me sad.  It's a house of worship.  The same people that were complaining about it would have no problem with a Catholic Church opening at that location.  Pure discriminatory animus.

The only comment that I gave credit to was to the person who lives next door.  He complains that congregants constantly block his driveway, and that the Mosque does nothing to stop it, so he did not support a larger Mosque because that would mean more headaches for him.  This rings true, and as neighbors, the Mosque should make sure that he is not inconvenienced by people blocking him.

Offline Alfster

• Activist
Wow this is such a nice building. We don’t have anything like this in Jackson Heights. Shouldn’t we encourage a similar structure to be built in Jackson Heights proper.

https://jacksonheightspost.com/islamic-center-of-jackson-heights-to-construct-new-mosque

What a lovely rendering.  The mosque on 73rd St sorely needs an upgrade to compete with this. 

Offline theplanesland

• Mayor

What a lovely rendering.  The mosque on 73rd St sorely needs an upgrade to compete with this.

Yes, I've always wondered why our neighborhood doesn't have a good-looking mosque.

Offline JHALUM

• Resident
I read some of the comments on this in another forum and they made me sad.  It's a house of worship.  The same people that were complaining about it would have no problem with a Catholic Church opening at that location.  Pure discriminatory animus.

The only comment that I gave credit to was to the person who lives next door.  He complains that congregants constantly block his driveway, and that the Mosque does nothing to stop it, so he did not support a larger Mosque because that would mean more headaches for him.  This rings true, and as neighbors, the Mosque should make sure that he is not inconvenienced by people blocking him.

Would people have a problem if a synagogue  was opening?

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
the same ones would have a problem. but they wouldn't have the guts to talk about it.

Offline homeowner

• Council Member
It is an eyesore regardless of religion - it is way out of scale for that area.

Offline deja

• Activist
Yeah, it's pretty huge compared to everything else nearby, and that would be true whether it was a church, temple, or any other building of similar size. 

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
it's smaller than St. Joan of Arc....

Offline theplanesland

• Mayor

You want an eyesore? How about the rundown car shack across the street from there. Or the depressing parking sea/strip mall two blocks away. In terms of scale, it looks about as tall as the 3-story lousy quality houses across the street. A minaret will be the prettiest thing on that block. This isn't the Greystones.

Offline jeanette

• Mayor
You want an eyesore?

Frankly, what is there now is an eyesore. But I do agree w homeowner and deja, it's out of character and scale for the neighborhood. 31st may not be all that, but the side streets around there are pretty and seem to have been planned/built around a particular design idea.

The mosque itself is nice, but there isn't the land for it. The difference between it and St. JoA is the space it occupies.

Still, it's coming and we'll get used to it. Although not the ideal solution, perhaps the neighbors who will be ill-affected by the  number of worshipers will move out and the mosque can buy up their land and "grow" into the space so to speak.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 06:49:27 PM by jeanette »

Offline JK resident

• Activist
What are NYC regulations about calls for prayer? Can you install loudspeakers and have the neighborhood singing along? I saw a video in Brooklyn where this is allowed.

https://youtu.be/oolV-slw_AM

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
What are NYC regulations about calls for prayer? Can you install loudspeakers and have the neighborhood singing along? I saw a video in Brooklyn where this is allowed.

https://youtu.be/oolV-slw_AM

it is allowed. no one has really challenged it, as far as i've seen. but neighbors in central Brooklyn have challenged the orthodox Jewish practice of kapporot (sp?), in which live chickens are basically tortured to death by being flung overhead and beaten on the ground, with piles of dead ones left behind. courts have ruled that allowable.

Offline jeanette

• Mayor
well, it is singing. It's just not diatonic. i love music. i hate hip hop when it has nasty, demeaning and/or violent lyrics. i'd rather hear this, than that. (I'm not comparing, just preferring.)

i also love hearing the church bells, and Christmas caroling.

meanwhile, nobody likes the ice cream truck guy.

Jackson Heights Life