Author Topic: New expanded mosque to be built in Jackson Heights (actually East Elmhurst)  (Read 2462 times)

Offline theplanesland

• Mayor
meanwhile, nobody likes the ice cream truck guy.

I had REAL Mister Softee in Brooklyn a few weeks ago and I was wowed by its creaminess and lack of a chemical aftertaste. Why do we get stuck with "Mr Ice Cream Soft" and "Mr Soft Cream" and other chalky ripoffs? Is there any way to at least get the real thing?

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
yes!
i think i saw the real deal at 82/roosevelt a lot last year, but there's a HUGE difference. mr. softee's are supposed to be recognizable by the original theme (as opposed to 'turkey in the straw'), but i do like mr. softee.

I had REAL Mister Softee in Brooklyn a few weeks ago and I was wowed by its creaminess and lack of a chemical aftertaste. Why do we get stuck with "Mr Ice Cream Soft" and "Mr Soft Cream" and other chalky ripoffs? Is there any way to at least get the real thing?

Offline Alfster

• Activist
well, it is singing. It's just not diatonic. i love music. i hate hip hop when it has nasty, demeaning and/or violent lyrics. i'd rather hear this, than that. (I'm not comparing, just preferring.)

i also love hearing the church bells, and Christmas caroling.

I love this ice cream truck guy.  :-)   

http://www.vanleeuwenicecream.com/nyc-trucks-1/

Offline CaptainFlannel

• Mayor
I've never heard a neighborhood sign along to the call or prayer. (Is that even a thing?)  I think it's quite beautiful though the loudspeakers really take something away from it IMO.

Offline Liz

• Activist
Finally some good news! Beautiful mosque.  As for the complaints by the neighbor about congestion - JH and Elmhurst are having construction all over that will increase congestion.  I'm next to one of the buildings about to get 4 floors of poorly constructed apartments and medical offices added on.  I would be thrilled to have a mosque instead.  I used to work near one of the large mosques in Brooklyn, and as noted - the call to prayer is beautiful and much preferred over ice cream trucks.

Offline homeowner

• Council Member
it's smaller than St. Joan of Arc....

Yes it is smaller than St. Joan or Arc. However it is next to single family homes; not six-story apartment buildings so it's being smaller is not the point.  It's the scale to its surroundings.

Offline JK resident

• Council Member
Hey Liz, where is this? The zoning law allows religious facilities to be built in residentially zones areas. Some say it may increase property values if you sell to a Muslim family because they would be willing to pay more to live next to a Mosque. This happens in Brooklyn with synagogues.

Offline Liz

• Activist
Looks like the mosque will be at 78-04 31st Ave if I understand the article right.  It looks beautiful.  Throughout the neighborhood we are seeing new construction - on 37th at 85th, on 89th on a residential street other locations.  It would be great if some of that construction would add to the beauty and service of the community as the mosque will.

Offline jeanette

• Mayor
Re: New expanded mosque to be built in Jackson Heights (actually East Elmhurst)
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2018, 08:28:27 PM »
from a article about noise complaints:

Cypress Hills, Brooklyn, should pray for peace and quiet. The 11208 ZIP code had the most complaints about noise from a house of worship, with 403. More than half of the complaints list the address of a mosque, Masjid-Al-Aman, where an imam issues a lyrical call to prayer five times a day via a loudspeaker that reaches a 20-block radius, according to Gothamist.

source: https://nypost.com/2018/11/24/this-is-what-new-yorkers-hate-most-about-the-city/

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2018, 11:44:59 AM »
that sounds like it would be really difficult to deal with. but it seems like an outlier in terms of how mosques operate in the city. i know the large one in flushing...it's up around 33rd avenue or so, so fairly residential part ... doesn't create these sorts of issues. the ones i've lived nearer are much smaller, less imposing (more like the Jewish Center on 37th).

Offline theplanesland

• Mayor
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2018, 10:28:30 AM »
that sounds like it would be really difficult to deal with. but it seems like an outlier in terms of how mosques operate in the city. i know the large one in flushing...it's up around 33rd avenue or so, so fairly residential part ... doesn't create these sorts of issues. the ones i've lived nearer are much smaller, less imposing (more like the Jewish Center on 37th).

There's a masjid on 72nd Street. Perfectly good neighbor. Totally quiet. I think the issue in Brooklyn is that someone's a big jerk, not that someone's a Muslim.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2018, 10:28:30 AM »