Author Topic: Berkshire Green co-op in Elmhurst in the NYTimes  (Read 984 times)

Offline the80s

• Activist
Berkshire Green co-op in Elmhurst in the NYTimes
« on: May 11, 2018, 09:46:00 AM »
It's featured in this story:
New Yorkers Who Love Where They Live
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/11/realestate/new-yorkers-who-love-where-they-live.html

She and her husband bought their one-and-a-half bedroom apartment because of the light, the moldings and the hardwood floors — even if there isn’t a single one that’s level. They knew they had made the right choice when they went to their first shareholder meeting.

“Everyone was sweet, mostly our age, mostly first-time homeowners,” said Ms. Dercher, who is now the vice president of the board. “There was a sense of community that people often say they’re moving to the suburbs to find. I love this building.”

I don't know that I've ever walked by this building (at 42-22 Ketchum, right near Elmhurst Hospital). I think I would have noticed it if it looks like it does in these renderings... is this a new development?
http://www.berkshiregreennyc.com/

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
Re: Berkshire Green co-op in Elmhurst in the NYTimes
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2018, 10:20:00 AM »
It's been around for about 3 years, or maybe a little more.

http://www.jacksonheightslife.com/community/index.php?topic=13552.0

There was also an article in "The Hunt" in the NY Times about a couple who purchased there. https://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/24/realestate/from-a-house-to-a-one-bedroom-for-familys-sake.html

The apartments do look really nice inside.

Offline lalochezia

• Mayor
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2018, 10:21:10 AM »
on their website (http://www.berkshiregreennyc.com/)
 that rendering of the outside with the perfectly circular table complete with fake wood grain is hillarious.

Offline Lilybell

• Mayor
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2018, 10:50:55 AM »
Wow, they have the nicest laundry room I have ever seen (under "amenities" on their website).

Offline ljr

• Council Member
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2018, 12:20:38 PM »
I walked by it recently--it certainly doesn't look like the renderings from the outside--but maybe there is a nice backyard area I didn't spot. It's not in a very attractive location.

Offline the80s

• Activist
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2018, 12:54:19 PM »
Wow, they have the nicest laundry room I have ever seen (under "amenities" on their website).

It's so strange that these are all renderings though! It's not like the building has not been developed yet. Does that laundry room actually exist?

Offline CaptainFlannel

• Mayor
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2018, 01:37:47 PM »
My guess is the coop/sponsor doesn't want to pay to reshoot amenities that are complete (and some might not be completed yet).

My favorite rendering is the balance ball in the gym. It looks like it's a cartoon character and is going to spin around to talk to me.

The laundry room makes me smile too. Is it on the roof? Why are there renderings of 25 white shirts that appear to be on a clothes line?

Offline queenskid2

• Activist
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2018, 01:49:53 PM »
It's interesting that most of the "neighborhood" photos are of Jackson Heights.

Also, in the NY Times article, the first person featured is Nina Munz FitzGerald of Sutton Place.  Nina's late husband, Jack FitzGerald, was a longtime Jackson Heights resident and a fixture at many of our local bars. A great guy.

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2018, 02:25:34 PM »
the building may be just fine. but shortly before i looked at my current place, i had an agent ignore my pleas to stick to JH and insist on showing me "more value-oriented" places around there. i recall the deafening noise of ambulances and other vehicles going to the hospital -- which she waved off, saying "I could get management to buy you a washer and dryer."

Offline ljr

• Council Member
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2018, 06:34:47 PM »
Just read the article and was amused that Nina Munz FitzGerald's building, Plaza 400, is where my late Aunt Rose lived. I didn't know it was such a thrifty choice, but I do recall that rooftop pool and the social life Rose used to talk about there.

In my experience, bigger buildings can be more social and friendly than smaller ones, where people seem to guard their privacy more. I lived in an Upper West Side brownstone rental for a decade, and hardly ever interacted with anyone else there, whereas when I lived in a coop with 234 apartments, there was a lot of socializing among the young parents, there was a building book club, holiday celebrations, etc.

And now here in JH, we are again in a very small building, where people are polite, but not really friendly or social with one another.

Offline Simka

• Council Member
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2018, 09:38:10 AM »
 that rendering of the outside with the perfectly circular table complete with fake wood grain is hillarious.

My favorite rendering is the balance ball in the gym. It looks like it's a cartoon character and is going to spin around to talk to me.

The laundry room makes me smile too. Is it on the roof? Why are there renderings of 25 white shirts that appear to be on a clothes line?

Whoa. These renderings are even more over-the-top ridiculous than the ones for my building (Washington Plaza). Except the views out the windows are oddly plausible-looking—you actually see parts of other buildings, even brick walls, and not skyline views of Manhattan!

Offline MrPlaza

• Activist
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2018, 09:38:43 AM »

Whoa. These renderings are even more over-the-top ridiculous than the ones for my building (Washington Plaza). Except the views out the windows are oddly plausible-looking—you actually see parts of other buildings, even brick walls, and not skyline views of Manhattan!
I do :P

But yeah, not having even seen this building in person, I can already call bullshit. Lol.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2018, 09:38:43 AM »