Author Topic: Laly's Restaurant  (Read 16091 times)

Offline BennyB

• Citizen
Re: Laly's Restaurant
« Reply #105 on: November 27, 2018, 01:06:04 PM »
I don't think the prices are too expensive. $12 for a burger with fries is a diner price.

Offline hum@njukebox1

• Activist
« Reply #106 on: November 27, 2018, 03:47:53 PM »
JHR and Benny B -- thanks for the tips.

Offline MrPlaza

• Council Member
« Reply #107 on: November 27, 2018, 04:14:38 PM »
I sincerely think people ought to try the food rather than write it off based on price alone. Laly’s is not a diner. I wouldn’t compare it to one.

That said, I strongly encourage people to go and dine in. The Seamless prices aren’t the fine-in prices. They, like some other restaurants, try to offset the cut Seamless takes by upping the prices. You can also just call Laly’s directly and place an order. That aside I encourage all to go just to be there and show support. They need butts in seats. Really don’t want to see this place quietly go under. Especially when they’re so good.

Offline pipman

• Activist
« Reply #108 on: November 28, 2018, 07:38:14 AM »
Not sure what all the complaining is about, the prices are reasonable and their burger quality is superior to Emoji (which I find greasy) and the diners in the neighborhood. Call directly for delivery--I have called 3 times and it has been very reliable and packed well.  it's a great addition to restaurant options in neighborhood.

Offline jeanette

• Mayor
« Reply #109 on: November 28, 2018, 09:55:37 AM »
The french fries are exceptional at Laly's.

Offline Liz

• Activist
« Reply #110 on: December 07, 2018, 06:30:10 AM »
I love Lalys - the food is excellent and fresh.  I think the prices are reasonable.  I can't understand why the place isn't packed.

Offline hum@njukebox1

• Activist
« Reply #111 on: December 07, 2018, 12:49:14 PM »
Unfortunately, I believe there are a great many people living in the historic district of Jackson Heights that simply will not patronize the establishments along Roosevelt Avenue........even if they are a cut above the rest.  Perhaps business would be better had they located along 37th Avenue?

Offline jeanette

• Mayor
« Reply #112 on: December 07, 2018, 12:59:30 PM »
Truth.

Offline BennyB

• Citizen
« Reply #113 on: December 07, 2018, 12:59:46 PM »
Unfortunately, I believe there are a great many people living in the historic district of Jackson Heights that simply will not patronize the establishments along Roosevelt Avenue........even if they are a cut above the rest.  Perhaps business would be better had they located along 37th Avenue?

I don't think they would do much better on 37th Ave. It looks like a diner but it's not. It has some dishes at a higher level of quality (and price) but the style and furnishings don't match.

But I think you were right to bring up the people who live in the historic district because that's probably who they are trying to attract with a kale salad and steak frites.

Offline Di_11372

• Activist
« Reply #114 on: December 07, 2018, 06:50:09 PM »

I believe wholeheartedly that its mainly the location, I've have lived in JH for 12 years now & I am well aware some people simply choose to avoid Roosevelt ave, as they see it as too gritty.....

That being said, I know its a very clean establishment & the food is very good,but is there anything they can do, to make it more inviting aesthetically?

Offline KDGHP

• Tourist
« Reply #115 on: December 07, 2018, 08:04:38 PM »
That being said, I know its a very clean establishment & the food is very good,but is there anything they can do, to make it more inviting aesthetically?

I honestly think that it would be AMAZING if they commissioned a local muralist to paint along the side and back brick walls that right now are covered in pretty sad-looking graffiti. Could be a nice touch and nod to the neighborhood. Also maybe clean the graffiti on the front window?

Offline ljr

• Council Member
« Reply #116 on: December 08, 2018, 06:22:16 PM »
Have you seen the prices at Jax Diner lately? That place is pretty expensive, and it's clearly a diner. I think with Laly's it's the combination of the location, which has never housed the sort of place it aims to be, and yes, the look of the place. It's not bad-looking, it just doesn't have a look that matches the menu in any way. It looks similar to Ricky's, so it comes across as a diner, although it is not. Plus the lack of a liquor license? It's really too bad--I go by there often and it always looks nearly empty.

But you know, the location on Roosevelt is not necessarily a bar to "people from the historic district" patronizing a restaurant. Himalayan Yak is over there, and I think that place is pretty popular, and the Korean chicken place is also on Roosevelt and people seem to like that. And there are a number of places further west on Roosevelt or very near--Sri Pha Phai or however you spell that, and a few other places whose names I can't recall that are either on or right near Roosevelt--that are popular and even pretty upscale. The place I am thinking of is in Woodside and is small, very nice, and really high priced.

So all in all, I think it's more the look of Laly's that doesn't match the food that may be the biggest drawback.

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #117 on: December 09, 2018, 08:42:57 AM »
you're thinking of Casa del Chef. and i agree whole-heartedly with what you're saying about the look of Laly's not matching their intent as a restaurant.

Offline itsit

• Council Member
« Reply #118 on: December 09, 2018, 08:51:37 AM »
Agreed that there is something lacking in the ambience. Could they make the place a little less of a fishbowl? This is another
deterrent when there are fewer customers in that some people equate a busy restaurant with a good restaurant. I think the
food is swell here at Laly's but they could use some tweaking with different ideas suggested here to make more business.

Offline abcdefghijk

• Mayor
« Reply #119 on: December 09, 2018, 09:23:54 AM »
Yep. Design in a restaurant is crucial.

Queensboro and E77 and Arepa Lady and Arunee Thai get it right.  (Rico Tinto did too. As well as countless restaurants all over NYC!)

Maybe they can learn from these establishments.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #119 on: December 09, 2018, 09:23:54 AM »