Poll

Should the 2020 Census include a question about citizenship?

Yes
No

Author Topic: Should the 2020 US Census ask about citizenship?  (Read 5851 times)

Offline Paul11372

• Activist
Re: Should the 2020 US Census ask about citizenship?
« Reply #75 on: May 04, 2018, 03:58:04 PM »
What I'm referencing is not DACA.  I was referring to a program started by George H.W. Bush that allowed refugees from disasters, natural or otherwise, to enter the US.  So far, this administration has removed protections for hundreds of thousands of people, some here for many, many years.  Prior to Hondurans, Nepalese refugees were told they have to leave.  Before that, some 200,000 Salvadorians.  To me, this is deeply troubling.

I share your concern there, it's well founded.

Offline lalochezia

• Mayor
« Reply #76 on: May 17, 2018, 03:15:03 PM »
ICE tries to deport legal DACA residents by lying and  changing arrest records

ICE arrests domestic violence victims to deport them

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/jurisprudence/2017/02/ice_s_crackdown_is_beyond_aggressive_it_s_illegal.html

Papers please, US citizen questioned by border patrol "for speaking spanish"

http://www.kpax.com/story/38210031/us-citizen-questioned-by-border-patrol-in-havre-for-speaking-spanish?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 03:28:55 PM by lalochezia »

Online dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #77 on: May 17, 2018, 03:55:04 PM »
don't conservatives always talk about people using one of those first ten amendments to protect against government tyranny? something to keep in mind.

Offline abcdefghijk

• Mayor
« Reply #78 on: February 28, 2020, 08:57:37 AM »
[Moderators note: moved from the "Making JH Count in the 2020 Census" thread]

I agree it's important but I figure this situation is quite a mess.

Due to the "citizenship question" fear that's been instilled in undocumented immigrants concerning the census, I am guessing there's going to be severe under-counting in our neighborhood. Which won't be good for any of us.

I imagine that it's hard to trust authorities.  Because who knows when they'll change their minds in the future? Yes, they say info on the census is private now ... but they also said that for undocumented immigrants in Maryland when folks applied to the DMV for a drivers' licence.

And voila. ICE now has access to those records.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 01:34:19 PM by toddg »

Offline Jhx

• Council Member
« Reply #79 on: February 28, 2020, 11:23:02 AM »
ICE Should absolutely have priority to have access to any information the DMV has. And hopefully sooner or later it will have access to that.  Sanctuary cities suck

Offline abcdefghijk

• Mayor
« Reply #80 on: February 28, 2020, 11:37:46 AM »
ICE Should absolutely have priority to have access to any information the DMV has. And hopefully sooner or later it will have access to that.  Sanctuary cities suck

Wow. It must kill you to walk in the streets of this city every day of your life.

Online dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #81 on: February 28, 2020, 12:01:49 PM »

and you live in one -- which is ruining your mental and physical  health a little more every day. 

Offline stevn

• Citizen
« Reply #82 on: February 28, 2020, 12:04:01 PM »

Wow. It must kill you to walk in the streets of this city every day of your life.

Walk the streets? This keyboard tough guy shouldn't leave his house. He'd miss something on Fox News.

Offline Chingwa

• Council Member
« Reply #83 on: February 28, 2020, 06:38:48 PM »
Yes it should have it.  People can lie if they want, I don't really care.  I don't understand why asking someone's immigration status is some kind of taboo now.

Online dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #84 on: February 28, 2020, 06:53:07 PM »
Yes it should have it.  People can lie if they want, I don't really care.  I don't understand why asking someone's immigration status is some kind of taboo now.

it's only a matter of time.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/26/us/politics/denaturalization-immigrants-justice-department.html

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #84 on: February 28, 2020, 06:53:07 PM »